Sea Ice (Rhadamant are you around?)

Started by mebe, August 22, 2018, 05:36:04 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

mebe

Being a bit of a masochist I thought I'd see how the sea ice challenge plays out on the latest unstable build.

First time through was a lot more challenging than the second due to the easy availability of meat so scenario has no manhunter packs, no herd migrations, no meteorites - figure that puts it back like the original.

Temperature is my problem, permanent cold snap, permanent volcanic winter (which I dont remember from the original) and overall temperature as low as it will go, settle as close to the pole as possible and its only -29C at the start. I'm wondering if you did anything else to get it so cold?

No prepare carefully at the moment so Engie equivalent is whatever I can roll plus dev mode tweaks.

Rhadamant

I think the challenge has been made a lot easier, but I could be mistaken. Temperatures don't drop down to such extreme levels naturally anymore =\

mebe

I'm thinking the same, which is a shame. Enjoying the Ark btw.

mndfreeze

Not sure about 1.0, but I did a sea ice challenge run after watching Rhadamants also and I seem to remember you had to manually edit some stuff to make the cold snap perm, but you could stack them I think.  I'd see about doing that and check if stacking 5 of them or something has any effect and gives you what you want.

I'm also sad to see the super extremes are not longer easy to make during world gen.  I wish we had a lot more control/options in the world gen section of the game so more whacky styles of play, even if they can be game breaking, were there.

I'd also love to see the option to increase the variation swings on a map more.  i.e. winter gets SUPER cold but summer gets BOILING hot. 

mebe

Actually after a little bit of fiddling it is possible in the latest unstable build.

The main issue is that it is not possible to set permanent cold snap in the scenario editor but, you can edit the scenario manually to put it in (copy the <li> section for permanent volcanic winter and change volcanic winter to "ColdSnap" and everything works as expected.

So rolled up a cold world and landed at almost bang on the north pole, first day landing temperature -68C, that ought to do the trick.

I'm looking at what else to disable to get it similar to A16, so far:
Meteorite
Farm animals wander in
Herd migration
Manhunter pack (might not be needed now I've got the temp down)

Looks like it should be feasible however one of the biggest RNG bits about the A16 playthrough was when you got that first orbital bulk goods - with the reduced trade ship frequency I can see that being a bigger problem.

Bozobub

Quote from: mndfreeze on August 23, 2018, 09:41:48 PMI'd also love to see the option to increase the variation swings on a map more.  i.e. winter gets SUPER cold but summer gets BOILING hot.
Agreed! This would, for example, make it easy to simulate a planet with an especially eccentric orbit (one focus of the ellipse is very close to its sun, the other very far away).
Thanks, belgord!

mebe

Well I recreated Engie using prepare carefully, and had a thriving 172 day colony of one (ten hydroponics, advanced reasearch bench and trying to move into drug production). Sadly we had a truly massive Zrrrt and Engie was unable to extinguish it, she succumbed to the heat and smoke. RIP.

Thoughts? It works and is very similar to the orginal challenge - the only things you get are from cargo pods. I was finding money really hard to come by and warm clothing seems impossible to find - after almost 3 years I still didn't have a proper set, none of the wanderers or raiders had any warm gear and I accepted every chased refugee hoping for some luck there but no.

I suspect finding enough cash to buy the materials for a ship is going to be almost impossible plus there is the issue of needing advanced components to make a component assembly bench - could pod out with enough stuff to pod back I suppose.

I'll have another go but I think the resource requirements are too skewed toward deep drilling for this to work anymore.

Rhadamant

Hey there, I don't mean to necro an old post but I wanted to let you know I've revised the Sea Ice challenge for 1.0 and I'm running a Let's Play of it now if you're interested.

TheMeInTeam

Quote from: Rhadamant on August 22, 2018, 08:09:06 PM
I think the challenge has been made a lot easier, but I could be mistaken. Temperatures don't drop down to such extreme levels naturally anymore =\

In some ways it is easier, in others harder.

Trade is significantly less lucrative now than during the time you originally made this challenge for example.  You could legit tech rush microelectronics basics back then and get heavy trade loops going in summertime (when it wasn't too cold to get anybody).  Though I guess if you made the temperatures cold enough on sea ice you could never get trades, doing so still wouldn't preclude trade ships and those would still be much faster to access in older patches.

With less extreme temperatures and new ways to break the game maybe it really is easier though.