Doctors care more about sleeping and smoking then saving lives.

Started by vampiresoap, August 23, 2018, 05:48:50 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

vampiresoap

It's just so annoying that we still can't automate this part of the game. I'm a little tired of microing it every time someone gets a little cut. Also, is there a mod that can fix this? Thanks!

fritzgryphon

+1 doctors should prioritize tending over eat, sleep or smoke.  Had a self-tend enabled doctor go to sleep and bleed to death, once.

I think Smart Medicine increases the priority for tending.  It has other neat features, like automating different medicine types for different wounds.  Dunno about .19 support.

https://ludeon.com/forums/index.php?topic=39187.0

e.  1.0 version, didn't try it.   https://github.com/alextd/Rimworld-SmartMedicine/releases

Aszh

I thought Tynan mentioned once upon a time that this issue was supposed to be fixed in this update.  It doesn't seem to have made it in, though.  It's also one of my most desired fixes.

deshara218

this isnt a bug, its the game accurately reflecting IRL

edit: we just need a version of the game where most doctoring tasks the medical care consists of giving the patient a pamphlet on back exercises and a bottle of muscle relaxers regardless of what their injuries are

vampiresoap

Quote from: fritzgryphon on August 23, 2018, 06:14:32 PM
+1 doctors should prioritize tending over eat, sleep or smoke.  Had a self-tend enabled doctor go to sleep and bleed to death, once.

I think Smart Medicine increases the priority for tending.  It has other neat features, like automating different medicine types for different wounds.  Dunno about .19 support.

https://ludeon.com/forums/index.php?topic=39187.0

e.  1.0 version, didn't try it.   https://github.com/alextd/Rimworld-SmartMedicine/releases

That looks interesting, but I looked through the mod's page and didn't find anything that says it'd up the tending priority...

5thHorseman

Quote from: Aszh on August 23, 2018, 09:39:48 PM
I thought Tynan mentioned once upon a time that this issue was supposed to be fixed in this update.  It doesn't seem to have made it in, though.  It's also one of my most desired fixes.
My best doctor does seem to tend to the wounded more aggressively.

In return, he's constantly starving and feeling deprived of rest and recreation. :/
Toolboxifier - Soil Clarifier
I never got how pawns in the game could have such insanely bad reactions to such mundane things.
Then I came to the forums.

InventorRaccoon

Quote from: 5thHorseman on August 24, 2018, 05:15:53 PM

In return, he's constantly starving and feeling deprived of rest and recreation. :/
I have the opposite problem, where doctors with priority 1 will play hoopstone and eat rice while a colonist bleeds to death in the infirmary.

deshara218

Quote from: InventorRaccoon on August 24, 2018, 06:34:08 PM

I have the opposite problem, where doctors with priority 1 will play hoopstone and eat rice while a colonist bleeds to death in the infirmary.

I assume you dont have him set with an explicit free time bloc on his schedule?

SpookCrow

I had prisoners bleed to death because my best doctor wanted to "go for a walk" instead of patching them up. His recreation meter was nearly full when he chose to participate in recreation. Probably wanted to cap it before he went to heal my prisone... Oh wait they died of blood lost.
"Fear is the enemy within you that can lead to your demise." -Spook

RawCode

doctors do have severe issues with priority and logic in general.
but most severe issue is inability to carry medicine in inventory for emergency use and inability to patch someone on spot, lost many colonists due to this stupidity, no i can't cover your deadly bleeding right now, first i will carry you to your bed, no i don't have any bandages in bag, i will fetch them later.

ofc you can set "no medicine" and put sleeping spot nearby but, but this turn into micromanagment hell with colony size over 8

mndfreeze

I'm guessing most people with this problem have their schedules set to 'anything' instead of 'work'.  I was under the impression that anything on the work tab counts as work and other activities such as going for a walk, sleeping, etc falls outside of "work" so if you set them to anything, even if a job is priority 1, the doc may decide his rec meter is a smidge to low and go smoke a spliff or star gaze instead of fix his bleeding out wife.

Trallhatt

Sounds realistic. Perhaps a mood boost for saving someone's life or tending to a serious wound could be added though.

Awe

Problem with doctor microing easily solvable with vanilla tools. 2-3 doctors at different shifts can patch patients 24/7. If colony cant afford more than 1 doctor... well, its a small colony and microing must not be a problem.

PS Like mentioned few posts above - use work hours if you want pawns to do job. During this hours pawns dont sleep and dont do joy activity(still can eat).

PPS Also, avoid using doctors in fights. Healthy(without manupilation/sigh/consciousness problems), rested and feeded doctor DO his work and dont go to eat due to starvation, dont break in middle of operation due to mood problems, and dont drop to ground because he run with sniper rifle from centipedes previous 24 hours.

[attachment deleted due to age]

vampiresoap

Quote from: Awe on August 25, 2018, 08:34:19 AM
Problem with doctor microing easily solvable with vanilla tools. 2-3 doctors at different shifts can patch patients 24/7. If colony cant afford more than 1 doctor... well, its a small colony and microing must not be a problem.

PS Like mentioned few posts above - use work hours if you want pawns to do job. During this hours pawns dont sleep and dont do joy activity(still can eat).

PPS Also, avoid using doctors in fights. Healthy(without manupilation/sigh/consciousness problems), rested and feeded doctor DO his work and dont go to eat due to starvation, dont break in middle of operation due to mood problems, and dont drop to ground because he run with sniper rifle from centipedes previous 24 hours.

Good advice, but when your doctor has "sensory mechanite" or something and he goes to "rest". You'd know what I'm talking about. It doesn't even matter if you turned on self tending or the doctor is supposed to be working. Nothing matters because he will just go straight towards that hospital bed and ignore the dying colonist you just rescued. He won't even heal himself. Nope, he's just gonna lay there waiting for another doctor to take care of things.

RawCode

mechanites and gut worms can take single essential colonist for 30 days, you just need multiple doctors to survive.