Doctors care more about sleeping and smoking then saving lives.

Started by vampiresoap, August 23, 2018, 05:48:50 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Awe

Quote from: vampiresoap on August 26, 2018, 08:24:28 AM
Good advice, but when your doctor has "sensory mechanite" or something and he goes to "rest". You'd know what I'm talking about. It doesn't even matter if you turned on self tending or the doctor is supposed to be working. Nothing matters because he will just go straight towards that hospital bed and ignore the dying colonist you just rescued. He won't even heal himself. Nope, he's just gonna lay there waiting for another doctor to take care of things.

Its again your fault. You just dont understand work priorities. Patient work is before doctoring. So if you set 11111 to first jobs in the list, like 99% of players do, then pawn do exactly you order to him. Wounded/infected? Patienting to 1? Go to bed. Doctoring to 1? He go to heal someone but only after he got some tending. Want another behavior - set doctoring to 1, patient to 2.

And anyway all this because of 1 doctor. My last run is 16 pawns and half of them can doctor. In such case i never fall into situation where i dont have at least someone who can doctor. This is long lasting colony(on screenshot), but if you want to play safe you must train backups for any crucial job asap. And doctoring is definitely that one.

[attachment deleted due to age]

vampiresoap

Nope. Had already set patient to 2 and doctoring to 1. You are the one who misunderstood the situation I was describing. Also, if someone gets injured AFTER your doctor goes to sleep, your doctor won't wake up to treat the injured person at all. And they go to sleep a lot when they have sensory mechanites and whatnot.

Your solution to this problem is just..."throw in more doctors!"

Uhm...how about we just perfect the logic of one single doctor first, eh?

Blato

Quote from: vampiresoap on August 27, 2018, 08:20:24 AM
Nope. Had already set patient to 2 and doctoring to 1. You are the one who misunderstood the situation I was describing. Also, if someone gets injured AFTER your doctor goes to sleep, your doctor won't wake up to treat the injured person at all. And they go to sleep a lot when they have sensory mechanites and whatnot.

Well, we have a few issues here, and most of them seem to be limited by the way the game handles processing.
If you have doctors on rotating schedule, so there's at least 1 doctor who's always on "Work" schedule means you have the best solution, but if other doctors aren't on "Anything", they won't jump in to help in case of emergency, which leaves you with microing again.
If all doctors are set on "Anything" with doctoring being their [1] priority, the game will do a task check to see if anyone needs doctoring. If that's not the case, the doctor will then proceed to take care of his needs/ other jobs.
As far as I know, grabbing a meal or sleeping or fulffiling a rec need while on "Anything" means the pawn doesn't recheck his schedule until he's done with the current activity.

A solution would be that a pawn that has Doctoring set as his work schedule rechecks his priorities every few ticks, just in case someone got shot while he was playing pool or sleeping. With a few doctors, the processor shouldn't feel the tax that much, but as a colony grows and more doctors are assigned, I can imagine that a constant recheck every few ticks would get quite taxing.

Drewski

Quote from: Blato on August 27, 2018, 09:31:20 AMA solution would be that a pawn that has Doctoring set as his work schedule rechecks his priorities every few ticks, just in case someone got shot while he was playing pool or sleeping. With a few doctors, the processor shouldn't feel the tax that much, but as a colony grows and more doctors are assigned, I can imagine that a constant recheck every few ticks would get quite taxing.

Or, you know, just ping for doctors when someone gets into a bed flagged as medical.

Awe

Quote from: vampiresoap on August 27, 2018, 08:20:24 AM

Np. Its funny when peoples prefer to dream and suffer instead of using simple but not perfect solutions.

fritzgryphon

So what would be the logic for an ideal primary doctor?

If doctoring is priority 1

if there is a injured pawn in a bed

if there is no other undowned, unoccupied priority 1 doctor with a higher tend quality

if the injury is life threatening (either bleeding or a disease with immunity within 15% of disease progress that has a fully expired tend)

or if the injury can cause an infection

or if the injury can form a scar

the doctor stops current task (sleep, recreation, or eat task that has not yet picked up the meal) and tends that pawn.

The doctor may have to wake up, but there is no mood or rest penalty for waking up, then going back to sleep.  Doctor tends in the middle of the night would be brief (night hunter got bit by squirrel, or whatever), and not effect doctor's rest much.

If after a night battle, and guys bleeding to death, rest is less important than saving colonists.

e. of course, priority 1 doctor self-tend should override absolutely everything.  Do not bleed out on pool table plz.

deshara218

Quote from: fritzgryphon on August 28, 2018, 02:53:26 PM
So what would be the logic for an ideal primary doctor?

If doctoring is priority 1

if there is a injured pawn in a bed

if there is no other undowned, unoccupied priority 1 doctor with a higher tend quality

if the injury is life threatening (either bleeding or a disease with immunity within 15% of disease progress that has a fully expired tend)

or if the injury can cause an infection

or if the injury can form a scar

the doctor stops current task (sleep, recreation, or eat task that has not yet picked up the meal) and tends that pawn.

The doctor may have to wake up, but there is no mood or rest penalty for waking up, then going back to sleep.  Doctor tends in the middle of the night would be brief (night hunter got bit by squirrel, or whatever), and not effect doctor's rest much.

If after a night battle, and guys bleeding to death, rest is less important than saving colonists.

e. of course, priority 1 doctor self-tend should override absolutely everything.  Do not bleed out on pool table plz.

wounded pawns who are injured and begin patient'ing (are placed in a bed and await medical care) ping all doctors in the settlement.

If no doctors on shift (exclusively work on schedule) are available to reach them, pings doctors who are on free time and conducting non-work activities and if there are some it interupts what they're doing so they can go doctor

vampiresoap