"Guest" tab for non-hostile visitors?

Started by muffins, June 28, 2014, 04:18:51 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

muffins

It feels wrong that I have to imprison escape-pod survivors or arrest visitors from another settlement in order to attempt to recruit them to my colony. How about if all non-hostiles have a "guest" tab, similar to the "prisoner" tab. Unlike prisoners they would be free to move around, dine with your colonists and use "guest" beds. You could attempt to recruit them without arresting or imprisoning anyone, so there is no faction hit. Of course the downside would be that they would be free to leave if you fail to recruit them (unless you arrest them). Perhaps prisoners could be much harder to recruit than guests as well. Perhaps increase the likelihood of incapacitated enemies ten-fold and make them very hard to recruit. We could sell most of them to the slavers and just focus the wardens attention on a few raiders we like.

Sorry if this sounds derpy. I've just finished a night-shift so I'm as sharp as a wet sponge right now.

ShivaFang

I definitely wish there were more ways to interact with visitors.  I think all they do currently is;
1)  Attack other factions they are hostile to.
2)  allow you to arrest them (if you want to go to war with that faction).

As it stands now, I feel they are pointless except when I'm being attacked.  "Oh wow, more random people visiting that I can't really interact with.  *snore*" and when I am attacked the attacking force always outnumbers the visitors so it's a quick roll before they come for me, so still pointless.  For some strange reason they go for wherever I've got meals stored and just hang out there.

Being able to chat with them to increase faction reputation a little while they are there (and possibly increase their loyalty to recruit them) would be huge. 

You don't even really have to create the ability to 'guest' them, just send someone to chat with them when they are visiting - either by recruiting your colonist and moving him to where they are (and let them chat normally) or perhaps a new 'task' called 'Diplomacy' that works like the Warden except chats with visitors.  Have it so that visitors that like you already are more likely to visit you than new, random ones.  Thus you can 'win them over' over the course of repeated visits.