Idea for Private multiplayer mode

Started by Minalia, July 07, 2018, 10:27:13 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Minalia

Just been thinking of how much fun it would be to run a multiplayer variant of Rimworld. I was thinking you could set up the world and when all players are ready the world starts and runs live allowing for trading and communication via comms. Speed settings can either be fixed or allow a voting system which is restricted by the total players requiring a majority. All live player vs player interaction such as attacks, defense, joint attacks etc would set to normal speed for the duration of the interaction. Each player would have their own base and their own location obviously. They'd just share the planet and from there they can either cooperate or fight each other. It's pretty simplistic for the most part. The server would obviously have to be run by a single host either as a background process/wrapper or whatnot. Think of Minecraft. I can elaborate if this is something moddable or doable by the devs. It's just something I've been thinking about for a long time now and I'd really like to see some multiplayer XD

bombdabomber963

Absolutely this. However, when dealing with something like this, so many questions arise;
1. Who would host the server?
2. Is late-joining even a possibility?
3. What sort of Anti-Cheat would be in place?
4. How would the other factions work?
5. Could you choose your location?
6. What stops people from teaming?
I really love this idea but I don't think it's likely to be added as it would be difficult to make these games last, as you know how long rimworld games can last, so player interaction would be minimal towards the start. What about a massive 1 tile world, and i'm talking massive. Lets say a nice even 10000x10000 and have rimworld adopt a sort of world generation system that only generates tiles that are within 400x400 of your camera, this way it reduced the lag, and on this map have upwards of 50 players with their colony, of x amount of people with any tech find out who will be the last man standing?