Farming can be a bit tedious.

Started by SYDWAD, August 25, 2018, 04:42:07 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

SYDWAD

I find some parts of farming a bit tedious like dealing with blights and zoning fertile land. I have an idea, how about while holding the farming zone tool you can double click a piece of fertile land and automatically zone all that land instead of having to manually find all the edges. And be able to double click a blighted plant and automatically select all blighted plants on screen to cut them, including different plant types. And can the light zone of growing lights be visible while selected even if its just a blueprint or under construction?

Like these ideas? please +1
Don't like them or have some counter ideas? please tell.

AileTheAlien

I agree this type of stuff is tedious, although I'm not sure what the best / easiest solution would be. Maybe a different tool in the "orders" menu, just for diseased plants? Allow filters on that tool?

Call me Arty

That's kinda just the nature of farming. Not sure if you could make it less tedious unless there was a percentage chance that you uprooted an insectoid hive when harvesting a potato plant.

As much as I don't like saying "just let mods do it", I feel like these are just insignificant enough to get put on the backburner. There isn't always a lot of fertile soil, and you only need to account for maybe three patches of the stuff per colony, once you've got your walls comfortably built. Probably less, once you get hydroponics and more structures going. Blight's in a similar camp, where I have about one every year or two. It's easy enough to see and cut blights.

Don't get me wrong, I love farming. I do it in every game that gives me the chance, and Vegetable Garden is in my top five mods (not including Quality of Life, those win by default) easy. It's just better to not look at farming as it's own thing. Rather, part of food, drug, or textile production, right next to butchering, brewing, and sewing. Those are all tedious, but that doesn't mean we need to focus on the individual parts.
Why are you focusing on having a personal life rather than updating a mod that you're not paid to work on?

If there's a mistake in my post, please message me so I can fix it!

cactusmeat

theres a mod for cut blighted plants (also part of allow tool) and i know it exists, no idea what it is called but theres one for creating grow zones on a single soil type in one click and drag.

i must agree that such things are tedious and any quality of life improvements should make there way into the game at some point.

SYDWAD

Quotewhere I have about one every year or two. It's easy enough to see and cut blights.

Events seem to depend on the game/map, some games you will get blights once every few years and some it happens every week. Like sieges or friendly support.
I dont feel the "double click to select all blighted plants" wouldn't be that hard, a simple 'check for plant afflicted with blight and select' though i haven't tried to mod the game so i dont know how complex the blight system is.
A system for filling an area for all zoning would actually be nice, to be able to double click the ground and fill a room with zone instead of having to manually fill all the corners. And roofing.

Boston

Now imagine if farming in Rimworld was actually realistic. You think it is tedious now....

SYDWAD

Quote from: Boston on August 27, 2018, 01:46:05 PM
Now imagine if farming in Rimworld was actually realistic. You think it is tedious now....

not about realism its just that the more stuff you have to manage and figure out the harder it is for new players to gt into the game