Simultaneous Installs of 0.18 and 0.19 on Mac OS X

Started by RicRider, August 27, 2018, 04:44:53 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

RicRider

I have two copies of the game and I'd like to get them running in separate install locations but the Library/Application Support folder is really throwing me off (they both want to link to it no matter where I install them).

So I'd like to use my Steam account to run 0.19 games and I've also got a DRM free copy of the game from the site. I'd like to be able to run either of them at my leisure without the game telling me it updated and having to go through the trouble of moving mods around and the painful process of enabling them (because I use hundreds of mods).

Can anyone walk me through how to achieve this on Mac OS X? How do I tell a copy of Rimworld to stop looking at the Library/Application Support folder and use some other folder?

Appreciate any advice!
##Coding Scrub##

harpo99999

check out the readme. text file for the command line parameters (assuming you can set them for the macs) in windows I use '".\RimWorld1722Win.exe" -savedatafolder=SaveData\'
in a batch file, but the essential part is the ' -savedatafolder=SaveData\' that points to the current folder's savedata folder for all extras like saves mods and settings

RicRider

Thanks that was immensely helpful. On Mac you don't have it as easy as you do on Windows so you can't right click and set parameters on an program but you do have a terminal where you can just type something like:

./RimWorldApp -savedatafolder=SaveData\

to start your game.

I didn't specify a folder and it did indeed create all of the SaveData info in the root directory (of the game not the system) as I hoped it would. I then went into the RimWorld package itself by right clicking and 'show package contents' and simply dragged all the beautiful 1.0 mods that I've got off this site into the right directory and now it's ready to go.

The only thing I still need to do to save myself typing out the above is to make a shell script and save it as an application but I'm too giddy now I can play unstable so I'll do that later.
##Coding Scrub##