Does proximity to pirate base affect how often you're raided?

Started by jpinard, October 06, 2018, 01:56:40 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

jpinard

If I wanted to be raided a lot more, will putting my base right next to a pirate base increase how often I'm attacked?

Scavenger

I often wondered that myself, or being close to a couple pirate bases made it more likely to be raided by them than the wildlings.

I believe the answer is no. No effect whatsoever. The only things your position on the map should be affected by in relation to other factions, if you are too close to 1, your reputation with that faction will drop over time because of territory disputes.

And if you don't have land access to any factions, I don't believe they are able to attack you, such as being on an island with none or only a few factions. Or possibly being in an enclosed mountain range.

In those cases you're only ability to move around would be using transport pods to access the rest of the world.
"Man is least himself when he talks in his own person. Give him a mask, and he will tell you the truth." - Oscar Wilde

bigheadzach

totalmonkey

Quote from: Scavenger on October 06, 2018, 02:57:49 PM
And if you don't have land access to any factions, I don't believe they are able to attack you, such as being on an island with none or only a few factions. Or possibly being in an enclosed mountain range.

Just an FYI: I have a new game going with my colony on an empty island, and everything (raids, quests, etc.) works as though I were on the mainland.

CthulhuTactical

Actually no, so there's no benefit to be in desolate place, on the contrary, you want to be in a place as crowded as possible, since you can start trading easier and raid frequency will be the same.

vzoxz0

It would be pretty cool if you could change this up, but it would be equally complicated.

Right now difficulty is to a large extent decided by what kind of terrain you're playing on. Savage temperate is basically like normal desert or rough boreal. It would make sense to continue along these lines in my opinion, but I doubt it will ever be done by the main team.

TKabutz

The only benefit to living on a small desolate island is, that all the caravan missions will only spawn on said island.  ;)
However, this will become annoying and seem cheesy, way before you even reach midgame. (The caravan distances are very short)
One of my last colonies was on a small 16 tile island, as I wanted to restrict myself to using transport pods for travelling. This didn't turn out as intended, because the caravan missions spawned all on my island. The missions became quickly very boring, as I only had to travel a few tiles to rescue a prisoner etc.

Scavenger

Huh, I could have sworn I read being on island stopped you from being attacked or getting Caravans a few patches back. I wonder if that was changed at some point. Or just misinformation.

And the part about rescue missions and stuff spotting so close seems like it's not working as intended haha, it would be way too easy!

And yes, I I love a hard difficulty but I also have to have a lot of animals because I love taming and messing around with them.. so I can't do too hard of  maps because they have no animals on them :-(
"Man is least himself when he talks in his own person. Give him a mask, and he will tell you the truth." - Oscar Wilde