Beta 19 - Polish the Cannons released!

Started by Tynan, August 28, 2018, 12:44:20 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

Elendil

Since in 0.19 caravaning system became very pretty beneficial to use, I have a QoL suggestion: ability to assign meal types to colonists in the same way I can assign medicine. I find that colonists will eat packaged survival meals that I want to stockpile, and forbiding them is quite burdensome since they can't be moved when forbidden. I also have to babysit my cook and every time he makes a new stack of packaged survival meals I have to forbid them.

I would love to have the option in the assign menu to make colonist eat. Choices could be:

1) any meal (default)
2) any meal but no long-lasting meal
3) fine meal or worse but no long lasting meal
4) simple meal or worse but no long lasting meal
5) raw food only

And while I'm making QoL suggestion, It would spare me a lot of clicking if by hovering over a box in the 'work' menu I could see if colonist has passion for the job. A simple icon of a small flame or large flame. As it is, I always have to click on a colonist a check if he is passionate. At the start of a new game, I always spend 5 min clicking on colonists and the 'work' tab. For hunting it could either show both shooting and animals.

I feel like these two changes would spare me a lot of headache. Anyone else shares the sentiment, or have I been doing it wrong all this time?
Thanks for consideration

lancar

Quote from: Elendil on August 30, 2018, 09:53:29 AM
Since in 0.19 caravaning system became very pretty beneficial to use, I have a QoL suggestion: ability to assign meal types to colonists in the same way I can assign medicine. I find that colonists will eat packaged survival meals that I want to stockpile, and forbiding them is quite burdensome since they can't be moved when forbidden. I also have to babysit my cook and every time he makes a new stack of packaged survival meals I have to forbid them.

I would love to have the option in the assign menu to make colonist eat. Choices could be:

1) any meal (default)
2) any meal but no long-lasting meal
3) fine meal or worse but no long lasting meal
4) simple meal or worse but no long lasting meal
5) raw food only

And while I'm making QoL suggestion, It would spare me a lot of clicking if by hovering over a box in the 'work' menu I could see if colonist has passion for the job. A simple icon of a small flame or large flame. As it is, I always have to click on a colonist a check if he is passionate. At the start of a new game, I always spend 5 min clicking on colonists and the 'work' tab. For hunting it could either show both shooting and animals.

I feel like these two changes would spare me a lot of headache. Anyone else shares the sentiment, or have I been doing it wrong all this time?
Thanks for consideration
I absolutely share this sentiment. It would be very good to have this, indeed.

Perq

dat feel when you google up the title and realize Tynan has YouTube channel.
I never felt closer to a diety.

D:

Jokes (or are they?!) aside - good call on going with B19 instead of 1.0. While adding infinitely is not a good idea, think we shouldn't be adding a lot of content on the last patch. Just balance and fix everything that isn't working, and then calli it 1.0, I think.

Also, loved the post about deciding when to end development. With this in mind - have you thought about what comes next? Some more patches are to come, but I don't think any major content is on the way (given how much time it takes). Do you plan on working on expansion packs (lets not call them DLCs, expansion packs of old are the stuff), or have any other projects in mind?
Have you considered getting more people to work on RimWorld, to quicken the process a lil bit (but not too much, to keep it laser-focused as you did so far)?

Love the game, love the process, love your attitude towards all this. Keep it up. :)
I'm nobody from nowhere who knows nothing about anything.
But you are still wrong.

Paul_

There is still "bad temperature" trigger for traders, it's really annoying (+ it makes no sense). At least it need some timer.

spaceage

Quote from: spaceage on August 29, 2018, 03:36:12 PM
Quote from: spaceage on August 29, 2018, 01:13:50 PM
My (steam version) of the game crashes whenever I click the "mods" button....

This is happening on both my desktop and laptop so  :'(

Tynan, can I please have access to the non-steam version so I can keep playing?

5thHorseman

Quote from: Elendil on August 30, 2018, 09:53:29 AM
I find that colonists will eat packaged survival meals that I want to stockpile, and forbiding them is quite burdensome since they can't be moved when forbidden. I also have to babysit my cook and every time he makes a new stack of packaged survival meals I have to forbid them.

I put my forbidden meals in a seperate closet room with one door, and make a new zone called "Colony" that is the entire map minus this room. One colonist - either the main hauler or the cook - has access to this room ("Unforbidden") and everybody else does not. The only problem is when actually going on a caravan, you have to temporarily allow people in the room.

Clunky, but it works.

Also, I agree with you that meals should be able to be limited like medicine. Also guns should be considered apparel and when your colonists drop a gun it should never, ever be forbidden. Or at least you should be able to opt into that. Which I would in a heartbeat.
Toolboxifier - Soil Clarifier
I never got how pawns in the game could have such insanely bad reactions to such mundane things.
Then I came to the forums.

Elendil

QuoteI put my forbidden meals in a seperate closet room with one door, and make a new zone called "Colony" that is the entire map minus this room. One colonist - either the main hauler or the cook - has access to this room ("Unforbidden") and everybody else does not. The only problem is when actually going on a caravan, you have to temporarily allow people in the room.

Clunky, but it works.

Yeah, I usually resort to something along those lines. And I mean yeah, it kinda works. But I'm glad I am not the only one who has to resort to some makeshift solution. It would be nice having the ability to assign meals.

Zombra

Do dogs still drink themselves to death in 0.19?

Crow_T

I like the move to do another beta, having a stable-ish release brings in a lot more play testers than an unstable testing version. Hopefully some clarity will happen in regard to balance with a bigger pool of players, as opposed to a handful of squeaky wheels getting the grease and muddying matters a bit. I'm interested in seeing what kind of difficulty tweaks the modders come up with, watching playthroughs of good players it seems that maybe B18 had a better (as in more challenging) hard difficulty than what is currently happening.
(regarding dead man's apparel)
"I think, at the very least, the buff should go away for jackets so long as you're wearing the former owner's skin as a shirt."
-Condaddy20

Senacharim

Tynan,  Thanks for making this work natively on Linux, and for making it multi-lingual.

Anni

Did we lose the 64-bit version? I am starting to get crashes again and I no longer have the option when I press play to choose 64 or 32

spaceage

Quote from: Anni on August 30, 2018, 08:07:27 PM
Did we lose the 64-bit version? I am starting to get crashes again and I no longer have the option when I press play to choose 64 or 32

The Steam version no longer has the 64-bit version due to backward compatibility reasons, but apparently the non-Steam version still has the 64-bit version. Tynan said he is working with Steam to get the issue sorted, but who knows how long that will be. I am also now unable to play due to crashes.  :-\

Tynan

If your game is crashing, can you please post a report on the bugs forum? Be sure to include your output_log file. Instructions are in the pinned post in the bugs forum.

We can't fix it unless someone reports it! Thanks.
Tynan Sylvester - @TynanSylvester - Tynan's Blog

Blato

Quote from: Zombra on August 30, 2018, 05:53:32 PM
Do dogs still drink themselves to death in 0.19?
And need cancer removal. Yes

[attachment deleted due to age]

Tynan

After some rather sluggish back-and-forth with Valve, and extensive kludging (using the Steam client to download old builds just to re-upload them as placeholders in the 64-bit depot for old builds)... I just made some publishing config changes to how Steam will deploy RimWorld. It should properly send the 64-bit build now, and work for old 32-bit-only versions too. In addition, it will send just the one correct version to each user, whereas in the unstable phase it used to send both 32 and 64-bit to every Windows user.

Please let me know if there are any issues!

The only downside is that for old beta/alpha branches, you now need to select a special startup option because the default option is broken (wrong name .exe file). This seems to be a limitation of Steam, which doesn't allow me to set a startup option for default branch only.

Tynan Sylvester - @TynanSylvester - Tynan's Blog