Request: Growable Sandbags

Started by Girlinhat, June 28, 2014, 12:58:55 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Girlinhat

So in my defensive setups, I end up realizing that cover breaks easily, and that attackers are encouraged to use cover heavily, even if that means getting 2 tiles away from your turrets and hiding behind the same sandbags.  My response is to litter sparse cover around my 'killzone' so that attackers will hide behind things further away and I can control the killzone.  I usually get fertilizer pumps and grow trees in the killzone - they're free, medium-good cover it seems, and when they break they're automatically replaced.

So that got me thinking, it'd be nice if you could designate a planting zone to grow a plant, which was impassable and had high blocking value, much like trees, but able to be planted adjacent to each other.  They could be planted around your defensive items so that when they were destroyed, your colonists would automatically rebuild them, and could be used by attackers so the player could more easily decide 'I want attackers to be this far away from my turrets' and give them items to use.

haint

cool idea, i'm working on a larger mod that this would fit extremely well into
"Whoa"

mrofa

You mean growable as a plant or growable like a bullet that spawn them ?
All i do is clutter all around.

Girlinhat

Quote from: mrofa on June 28, 2014, 02:37:34 PM
You mean growable as a plant or growable like a bullet that spawn them ?
As a plant, sorry.  A growing zone.

Although now, I think metal foam grenades would be neat.  Like a molotov, except instead of splashing fuel, they'd splash foam that hardens into a barrier.

mrofa

I got a minigun that shot walls belive me its not that cool as it sounds  :D

Zone thing can be made easily as a plant in xml, shoting sandbags require dll.

Girlinhat

Quote from: mrofa on June 28, 2014, 04:12:26 PM
I got a minigun that shot walls belive me its not that cool as it sounds  :D

Zone thing can be made easily as a plant in xml, shoting sandbags require dll.
The use for 'wall grenades' would mainly be emergencies, I'd imagine.  You were expanding your walls when raiders hit, need to plug a hole very quickly, throw a grenade.

The plant thing I figure would be easy, just haven't started looking at the science of modding yet.

mrofa

Plant yes you need to just create new kind of plant in xml, look on the thingdef xmls in core mod :)
change thier passibility to immposible, attlitude layer to waist. You would also need to experiment a bit with life spam and growthper20ticks.
I think -1 lifespam makes them immortal but not sure, as for grow 250 ticks is 4,3 sec ( or something that range).

Quote from: Girlinhat on June 28, 2014, 05:53:52 PM

The use for 'wall grenades' would mainly be emergencies, I'd imagine.  You were expanding your walls when raiders hit, need to plug a hole very quickly, throw a grenade.

Idea was to make them temporary like few mins, and it generaly works but i cant make textures to link with other walls properly.

Jathomas

Or instead of planting them (a bit unreal and cheaty) you can set them at rebuildable so like a new block or ghost that colonist constructors will rebuild the sandbags, turrets, walls doors, etc automaticlly if it gets destroyed?

Or, if you really want to regrow them, make a new wall that is like a bush perhaps so it fits in nicely?
Check out my mod ideas list HERE! (http://ludeon.com/forums/index.php?topic=4384.0)

Ask me to advertise your mod, rate it, review it and suggest improvements!