[Tool] XML Vision - Intellisense for Rimworlds XML files

Started by TheMartinary, August 28, 2018, 03:14:26 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

TheMartinary

XML Vision

XML Vision is an experimental XML editor featuring Intellisense and type information for Rimworlds XML files.   

Description
Are you fascinated by Rimworld and you feel the urge to create and add new content to the game, but feel overwhelmed by all the things you need to know in order to create. Then XML vision is here to provide that helping hand that you need. XML vision provides suggestions so you don't have to spit through the entire codebase to find what you need.

How does it work?

Rimworlds design is very data oriented and thus, interesting modifications can be made by modders through simply modifying the games data files. Rimworld uses the classic XML file format to store its data making it easy for people to make changes. However, often references have to be made to other XML files, or classes within the codebase. Therefore, you often find yourself having to spit through a bunch of code or XML files in order to get what you want. This applications makes use of .NET's Reflection capabilities to see what classes are available in Rimworlds assembly and any other assemblies in the Mods folder.  Furthermore the XML files in these folders are also read so every def can be suggested.
Because XML Vision also reflects on any other assemblies in the mods folder the application may also be useful for modders that are doing more than just editing the XML files.
User Instructions
First download the Zip file and unzip it at a location of your choice. The start the application, simply run XML_Vision.exe. Please set the Rimworld directory to your Rimworlds main directory and set the working directory to the directory where you would like to save your XML files. Press CTRL + S if you want to save a file. If you have feedback or suggestions please don't hesitate to post below.

Download
https://drive.google.com/uc?export=download&id=1llcA1NJ862c7mNWpoFiCsUjcPqNv-kGO

[attachment deleted due to age]

Nightinggale

Surprisingly few people have noticed this, which is a shame. The screenshots look awesome. I tried downloading it, but I can't get it to work. I can set the RimWorld path and default path, make new file and that's about it. The new file is blank, like it's not reading RimWorld at all and has no knowledge of what the xml files should contain.

I propose you do something regarding getting started. You have the right idea, but if people can't get started, they will discard it right away.

Once it's easy to get started, perhaps even with a tutorial on youtube or something, then work on public awareness. Perhaps place the mod in a steam mod. Not that it really makes sense to have it there, but right now you are in the same situation as I was in when I first released ModCheck. Nobody noticed it at all. I converted it to a steam mod even though it's actually a standalone dll to add just like Harmony. That did the trick and it has 2950 unique subscribers. I was also busy on this forum to make people aware of ModCheck even if they never read the tools subforum (which apparently is the majority of mod creators).

Last but not least: drop the blue text. It's too eye catching and disturbs the reading experience. Orange is the standard color to use here for such a purpose. It blends well into the other colors, highlights the text while at the same time it's not disturbing.
ModCheck - boost your patch loading times and include patchmods in your main mod.

Fistandantillus7

I could not get it to do anything.  ???
Trying to load a file crashes the program.
Even typing "Rec" as shown in the 4th picture did nothing.
Evil reptilian kitten eater from another planet.

milon

Shameless self-interest plug here - check out my AutoDoc (link in sig) if you haven't seen it.  It's a massive HTML modder's help file that categorizes all uses of all known tags etc in Core XML.