64 bit vs 32 bit..

Started by pktongrimworld, August 28, 2018, 01:16:30 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

pktongrimworld

So... now that rimworld have a 64 bit version, does that mean we can play on insanely large maps without lag and mod till our fingers fall off without drastic performance reduction?

BlackSmokeDMax

It will help in being able to use more memory. More memory is mostly helpful for adding more mods. And also for memory leaks (be they from mods or RW itself)

Using larger areas will not really be helped by 64 bit as it will not cut down on CPU needing to do that much more in pathing.

pktongrimworld

hmm darn, *wonder when rimworld support multicore.

/Tyran, I will pay another 60 bucks if this happens. god knows I got over 2 thousands hours off my 30 back at kickstarter.

UncleIROH

Mine says 32 bit. How do I get the 64 bit version?

BlackSmokeDMax

Quote from: UncleIROH on August 28, 2018, 05:07:17 PM

Not possible on Steam right now. There was a problem where Tynan needs to talk to Valve to get it sorted out.

On DRM-free version, just download the appropriate file.

5thHorseman

Quote from: pktongrimworld on August 28, 2018, 01:16:30 PM
So... now that rimworld have a 64 bit version, does that mean we can play on insanely large maps without lag and mod till our fingers fall off without drastic performance reduction?

No.

As someone who played both a lot during the beta, I can attest that there seems to be no practical difference between the two.
Toolboxifier - Soil Clarifier
I never got how pawns in the game could have such insanely bad reactions to such mundane things.
Then I came to the forums.

jpinard

Quote from: pktongrimworld on August 28, 2018, 01:16:30 PM

Bit for bit 64-bit could actually be the very slightest bit slower, but it does remove the 3.x Gig memory limit for mods and maps.

spaceage

Quote from: BlackSmokeDMax on August 28, 2018, 05:21:47 PM

Not possible on Steam right now. There was a problem where Tynan needs to talk to Valve to get it sorted out.

I tested the "1.0" version which had a 64-bit version on Steam. If this was a drug deal, I would've shot you--Where are the rest of my bits!?!?

Jaxxa

Quote from: spaceage on August 28, 2018, 08:18:21 PM
Quote from: BlackSmokeDMax on August 28, 2018, 05:21:47 PM

I tested the "1.0" version which had a 64-bit version on Steam. If this was a drug deal, I would've shot you--Where are the rest of my bits!?!?

Just run the 32-bit version twice so in total you get 64 bits. /s

mebe

Quote from: jpinard on August 28, 2018, 07:32:11 PM
Bit for bit 64-bit could actually be the very slightest bit slower, but it does remove the 3.x Gig memory limit for mods and maps.

Generally speaking 64bit apps will run a tiny bit faster due to having more available CPU registers and hence better optimisation.

RawCode

64 bit does not run 2x faster compared to 32.

dat modern education, please visit wikipedia at least once, this will help a lot.

falcongrey

In my experience running and monitoring the 64 bit version, while I did see it using more cores I saw no and experienced no loading nor play difference in regards to speed or stability with using large maps in compared to the 32 bit  version. All i use in way of maps. Even while using a ton (over 20) mods. If anything, I will say the 'generating' part of the 100% world was slightly faster. But only slightly in the way of 5 seconds out of 15 seconds total wait time and about 10 seconds for 64-bit.

The only real advantage I can see is when using lots of mods that are memory hungry which some (which I don't use) can be very hungry in this area. The 64-bit will become a real gem because you can access the full range of memory, not just the first 3gb for programs.

But my understanding from what little I've read is Tynan is trying to get things sorted with Steam to where we can have the game default to either 32-bit OR 64-bit on launch and not just 32-bit on launch as it currently is forced by Steam. Not sure why he may have be required to back out the 64 bit launcher part while having this discussion with them. This may or may not be what is going on, just what I've gathered from reading back and forth and mostly from hearsay sadly... so please do not draw conclusions from my statements. I'm just sure Tynan wouldn't withdraw the 64-bit executable without a good reason from the Steam version.
It matters not if we win or fail. It's that we stood and faced it.

haanuman

There should be a difference between the game running at 32bit and 64 bit though.

5thHorseman

Quote from: haanuman on August 29, 2018, 07:38:21 AM
There should be a difference between the game running at 32bit and 64 bit though.

There is. It's just not practically noticeable.

The big thing 64 bit gives you is more memory. However the game doesn't really use a lot of memory (except if you're really modding a lot and even then I've not personally hit it) where the game would just crash on 32bits, it keeps going on 64.

There are actual speedups too but they're really not all that much to get excited about. I don't know numbers but I can say I've literally not noticed it when playing in each.
Toolboxifier - Soil Clarifier
I never got how pawns in the game could have such insanely bad reactions to such mundane things.
Then I came to the forums.

BlackSmokeDMax

Quote from: falcongrey on August 29, 2018, 04:31:57 AM
But my understanding from what little I've read is Tynan is trying to get things sorted with Steam to where we can have the game default to either 32-bit OR 64-bit on launch and not just 32-bit on launch as it currently is forced by Steam. Not sure why he may have be required to back out the 64 bit launcher part while having this discussion with them. This may or may not be what is going on, just what I've gathered from reading back and forth and mostly from hearsay sadly... so please do not draw conclusions from my statements. I'm just sure Tynan wouldn't withdraw the 64-bit executable without a good reason from the Steam version.

Once Tynan gets things sorted out with Valve and the 64 bit version is back available on Steam, you can put this in Steam launch options for Rimworld: (dependent on Steam install location of course!)

"C:\Program Files (x86)\Steam\steamapps\common\RimWorld\RimworldWin64.exe" %command%

And it should always launch the 64 version. I was using this prior to the full B19 release, and it worked perfectly. You could launch from the steam created desktop shortcut, via the Steam quick taskbar icon, and they all would launch 64 bit version.