Aim or Snap

Started by johntiger, June 29, 2014, 08:15:31 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

johntiger

Got this idea from XCOM games. Colonists can either pick aim or snap mode. Aiming takes more time than snap shot but are far more accurate over long distance. Snap shots are just regular shots you have seen in this current game.

While we are at this topic, how about adding damage system of glancing blows and vital hits. Vital hits are basically lethal enough to take down a full health in two hits (one vital and one regular) like head shot and heart shots. Any snipers with skills over 15 are more likely to get vital hits.

TwixFunSize

This sounds like a good idea, but i dont know how much players would like if their colonist is killed in 1 or 2 shots. You have a good idea of balancing it. the better you are at shooting the more likely for a vital hit.

ApexPredator

I don’t see the value of a snap shot in a real time game. I think there are already glancing hits because I have seen shots do much less damage to a target than they were supposed to but I am not sure about crits.

StorymasterQ

Tynan is planning limb damage, at least, so perhaps it's more like FF Tactics' Don't Move (leg damage) and Don't Act (arm damage). It could probably go on to Critical (head damage).
I like how this game can result in quotes that would be quite unnerving when said in public, out of context. - Myself

The dubious quotes list is now public. See it here

vagineer1

Quote from: StorymasterQ on June 30, 2014, 02:29:30 AM
Tynan is planning limb damage, at least, so perhaps it's more like FF Tactics' Don't Move (leg damage) and Don't Act (arm damage). It could probably go on to Critical (head damage).

The thing is colonists don't even have arms or legs. They hover around and move and eat using telekinesis.
You see this tank?

This tank is the epitome of "I'm going to destroy you"

This tank can make Chuck norris cry.

All hail the Takemikazuchi.

StorymasterQ

Quote from: vagineer1 on June 30, 2014, 03:01:45 AM
Quote from: StorymasterQ on June 30, 2014, 02:29:30 AM

The thing is colonists don't even have arms or legs. They hover around and move and eat using telekinesis.

Then it's their hover appendages and telekinesis organs :D
I like how this game can result in quotes that would be quite unnerving when said in public, out of context. - Myself

ShivaFang

The current shots are 'aimed' shots.  A snap shot would be faster than the current shot IMO.

You'll notice if you have a colonist selected they have this 'arc' appear on their gun and when it shrinks fully they shoot - that's their 'aiming' timer.  A snap shot would be shorter than that, and the 'arc' would be the random range of the misfire.

'glancing blows' only really happen if their skill is low (which it will be for everyone who doesn't have shooting as an interest or burning passion, because they level slowly)

johntiger

Quote from: ShivaFang on June 30, 2014, 11:29:30 AM
The current shots are 'aimed' shots.  A snap shot would be faster than the current shot IMO.

You'll notice if you have a colonist selected they have this 'arc' appear on their gun and when it shrinks fully they shoot - that's their 'aiming' timer.  A snap shot would be shorter than that, and the 'arc' would be the random range of the misfire.

'glancing blows' only really happen if their skill is low (which it will be for everyone who doesn't have shooting as an interest or burning passion, because they level slowly)

To me, they are more of cooldown timers than aiming to make battle manageable and predictable. What I am proposing is a trade-off between faster firing rate and accuracy. Therefore, I propose making those current cooldown timers as snap shot mode. Switch to aim mode to gain longer cooldown but more accurate shots.

ShivaFang

Quote from: johntiger on June 30, 2014, 01:19:55 PM
To me, they are more of cooldown timers than aiming to make battle manageable and predictable. What I am proposing is a trade-off between faster firing rate and accuracy. Therefore, I propose making those current cooldown timers as snap shot mode. Switch to aim mode to gain longer cooldown but more accurate shots.

I'd prefer the ability to toggle faster but less accurate shots, as most combats I'm outnumbered greatly and more shots is helpful, hence why I think the current 'cooldown' is actually the aiming time and a snap shot would be much faster.

johntiger

Quote from: ShivaFang on June 30, 2014, 08:21:28 PM

I'd prefer the ability to toggle faster but less accurate shots, as most combats I'm outnumbered greatly and more shots is helpful, hence why I think the current 'cooldown' is actually the aiming time and a snap shot would be much faster.
[/quote]

Just realize that in your case, snap shot is helpful for close combat quarter especially when you are outnumbered. If this is true, then the whole data of accuracy might need to be readjusted. My reasoning is that less accuracy means more misses even at close combat, which is why I suggest current mode to be snap than aim.

StorymasterQ

I have had a missed shot hit another raider behind the one my colonist is aiming at, so I'm fine with that :D