New idea for dealing with sappers

Started by vampiresoap, August 31, 2018, 04:01:12 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

vampiresoap

I was just thinking about building up a thick, huge outer wall surrounding the base, and when the sappers show up, they'll just get bombarded by endless mortar shells as they try to breach the outerwall. This idea is probably too expensive to be viable, but what do you guys think?

giltirn

Problem is they melt through even granite walls like a hot knife through butter. Your wall would have to me mighty thick. Plus mortars got nerfed even further in 0.19 IIRC, reducing their accuracy even further than they were before. Endless mortar shells is really the only way to do anything with them these days.

5thHorseman

I really like my ceiling IED traps. Place a wooden pillar with an IED next to it such that the IED is as close to the wall as possible without damaging it, and then set the area not touching the wall to be roofed. Also set it up in whatever way causes the sapper to NOT hit it.

He'll go up and start chipping at your wall, and the rest will wander around behind him. Inevitably, one will step on the mine, exploding and then crushing most everybody in the party.

As to predicting where the sappers will go, I find that they always pick the same spot so just put the trap wherever a sapper goes.
Toolboxifier - Soil Clarifier
I never got how pawns in the game could have such insanely bad reactions to such mundane things.
Then I came to the forums.

vampiresoap

Quote from: 5thHorseman on August 31, 2018, 05:22:49 PM
I really like my ceiling IED traps. Place a wooden pillar with an IED next to it such that the IED is as close to the wall as possible without damaging it, and then set the area not touching the wall to be roofed. Also set it up in whatever way causes the sapper to NOT hit it.

He'll go up and start chipping at your wall, and the rest will wander around behind him. Inevitably, one will step on the mine, exploding and then crushing most everybody in the party.

As to predicting where the sappers will go, I find that they always pick the same spot so just put the trap wherever a sapper goes.

Wow that's ingenious! Can you please post a pic of your structure and/or your base? Thanks!

erdrik

Do they not avoid trapped areas anymore?
I don't mean pathing to not step on a trap, I recall that it used to be that if you trapped the southern part of your base they would attack the northern part.

bbqftw

A single mortar hit onto your own wall does ~400 hp damage

5thHorseman

Quote from: vampiresoap on August 31, 2018, 07:35:32 PM

Wow that's ingenious! Can you please post a pic of your structure and/or your base? Thanks!

here's the basic idea. You don't need nearly this many (I only use one per place where sappers have it) and where around the pillars you put the traps matters based on pathing. If they blow it up too early, put the mine in a different spot next time.

Also, these IEDs are too close to the wall, but this was an early (my first in fact) iteration of the idea.

[attachment deleted due to age]
I never got how pawns in the game could have such insanely bad reactions to such mundane things.

vampiresoap

Quote from: 5thHorseman on August 31, 2018, 10:15:43 PM
Quote from: vampiresoap on August 31, 2018, 07:35:32 PM

here's the basic idea. You don't need nearly this many (I only use one per place where sappers have it) and where around the pillars you put the traps matters based on pathing. If they blow it up too early, put the mine in a different spot next time.

Also, these IEDs are too close to the wall, but this was an early (my first in fact) iteration of the idea.

Seems like it would work with mortar fire too, if the IED traps fail to explode!

Scavenger

Feels way too much like an exploit, and it likely is, abusing roof collapse for massive aoe dmg.
"Man is least himself when he talks in his own person. Give him a mask, and he will tell you the truth." - Oscar Wilde

5thHorseman

Quote from: Scavenger on September 01, 2018, 04:38:14 AM

Feels way too much like an exploit, and it likely is, abusing roof collapse for massive aoe dmg.

Well IME it's not all that much better than just the IED. It kills 1 or 2 and knocks maybe 1 down, and the rest still come in the base - a bit haggard but they still need dealt with.

And they still have to step on it, which means I have to place it correctly. And it still gets triggered by squirrels wasting time and resources to reset.

erdrik

I disagree.
Of all the exploits(that I know of) that have been found in this game at one point or another, ceiling collapsing IEDs feels the least like an exploit. Its a tactic that makes use of intended mechanics in the game, and requires a lot more setup time and planning than other trap schemes.

vampiresoap

Quote from: erdrik on September 01, 2018, 08:46:20 AM
I disagree.
Of all the exploits(that I know of) that have been found in this game at one point or another, ceiling collapsing IEDs feels the least like an exploit. Its a tactic that makes use of intended mechanics in the game, and requires a lost more setup time and planning than other trap schemes.

I think so too. This feels more like a clever trap than an exploit.

Engager

Build a bait room for them with the bed installed, place a strong walls and doors leading deeper into base, but give them entrance to that room with 1 tile thick wall. They come in and start bashing the door, you trigger refined sleeping gas charges placed in the room and sealfoam charge to block their exit (funny mod that allows that stuff is called Remote Tech). As they took the bait, arm the detonator and enjoy as they all fall down helplessly, you put the gas masks, capture as many as you can take, harvest all their organs, butcher them with the psychopath guy and make kibble from their meat, sell the loot and do nice confy armchair from their skins :)

Also do note positions raiders try to take when they are trying to siege you, saturate those areas with remote explosives, as they land and start building just arm the detonator and blow them up to hell. That will require some work to set up wireless detonator network with radio masts but you can effectively cover whole your map with remote explosive groups on different channels.

To make laugh of Tynan's drop pod clowns install shields mod and cover your whole base. If any psychic mechanoid or podding clowns will show up shields just destroys them on their landing impact as nothing had ever happened, just sit back and enjoy how Tynan's strategy to force you into missery gets ruined, and make yourself more wealthy in process :) 

To deal with massive late land raids, try to modify the terrain a bit to make some concave areas, place the mud moats in them to make them struggling to make any step further (25% walking speed). Wait when they cluster up in that blood moat you set up and bombard them with grouped devastator mortar salvos (more vanilla turrets mod, 8-12 of those can nullify anything that comes to you, escpecially if you man them quiclky before enemy gets scattered on arrival). You can do same thing with "punisher" railguns from the excellent Rimatomics mod.

Once you are ready, don't even mind to manage your wealth, more enemies come to you - more human leather and meat you get. More blood for the blood god! (@ Warhammer 40000). I've actually finished campaign of the planetary extermination not so long ago, where i killed every last one outlander and pirate on the plannet, sold the bulk of them to slavery and fed the animals with their meat to provide constant reliable food supply for the local tribals for free :)

https://imgur.com/a/DbGMZiO ; https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=VzqP1BqwvIw