Defense idea

Started by JimBeam, September 01, 2018, 03:58:41 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

JimBeam

Hi guys,

i guess this idea is not new but i couldnt find anything in the forum similiar to it

what if you made little "hide-rooms"  all around the map, your gunners hide after a first encounter with the meele forces

before the attackers can reach the gunner (maybe running into a trap) the gunner disappears behind a stone door
as soon as the the attacker moves on you can backstab them or the following enemy gunner (maybe even having some close range weapon in the tunnel to wreak havoc)

these hidden tunnels could even support each other with cross-fire
once the attacker turn around again you disappear or you start an attack from the base

is that viable?

ill try it out soon

Scavenger

I think you just explained Vietnam.
"Man is least himself when he talks in his own person. Give him a mask, and he will tell you the truth." - Oscar Wilde

JimBeam

Quote from: Scavenger on September 01, 2018, 04:31:34 AM
I think you just explained Vietnam.

;D

maybe i did

but what do you think about it?

i have much early and mid-game experience but late-game .. no clue

Canute

Sure, it is a valid strategy.
And with the new door mechanic, you easyly can split attackers.
A few just slip through the door and easyly can overwhelmed by your mellee's
Thats why i like to start with 1-2 brawler on start.

Scavenger

I explained a very similar idea awhile back for an almost kill channel design, instead of all over the map. Almost exactly the same. Though with 2 parallel passages for movement, with several lines of sand bags in between the two strung out, and maybe a few traps on the far side, so when things go down the tunnel you're shooting line can Retreat backwards and as they Advance after, they hit traps, and snipers or melee can pop out of the side tunnels and shoot them in the flanks or a$$ and pick off priority targets or stragglers. Maybe release the hounds once most of the big damage dealers are taken out!

I IXXXXXXXI I
I I.  @    @    I I
I IXXXXXXXI I
I I.                 I I
I IXXXXXXXI I

I I= passage ways with occasional door
X Sandbag or rocks.
@ trap

Retreating through the side tunnels, at the same time other Pawns pop out farther back to draw aggro and draw them across the slowing sandbags/ rocks.
"Man is least himself when he talks in his own person. Give him a mask, and he will tell you the truth." - Oscar Wilde

ashaffee

I tried something like this but there is a major flaw. The enemy loves just beating down random outpost buildings. Also it wasn't always viable to get my guys in that building if it was too far. Later on I just let them be destroyed because they would destroy those buildings before attacking my base.

I like doing more of an attack of titans design personally.Same concept but less spread out. Outer layer easy to break into low defense. Second layer designed to have traps and turrets. Then main base inside. Each with hide away rooms that lead into next area.

This type of base basically relies on me preplanning years of building ahead so sometimes I just say screw it and slowly build layers as I expand instead. Just depends on what difficulty I feel like playing on.