Do you improve relations with tribals?

Started by fecalfrown, September 10, 2018, 12:28:18 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

fecalfrown

Like the title says - do you? I'm trying to see if anyone finds benefit to actually keeping them as friends.

There is one unfriendly tribal that naturally decays to hostile relationship status, and I find it helpful to have them as hostile. They seem to be the easiest to defend against for raids, so its good to have them as one of the 'bucket' of choices that Randy throws out when you get escaping prisoner events or just regular raids.

I guess I can see the benefit if you settled next to them and need some additional trading partners, but since they only offer garbage tribal level gear, its better to have them as enemies rather than getting constantly raided by mechs/pirates.

bbqftw

Tribals also have better pawns on average, wit less crippling backstories. It might be confirmation bias but I also think the traits are better.

Limdood

I befriend everyone i can.

"Ally" is a fairly powerful status.  calling for help is quite useful late in the game, when the new raids can hit your base in ways your built-in defense can't handle.  I've also noticed (my impression) i'm getting back to back raids (or refugee then raids) far more often than in B18, so calling in allies for the second raid is great.  Tribals die easy, but there are a LOT of them, so they allow my riflemen to generally rout the raid even if it would have otherwise hurt bad.

I also trade with tribals for metal, animals, wood, and psychic artifacts regularly.  They also buy all my drugs/cloth if I've exhausted outlander silver stocks.  I love the shaman merchants, and i regularly buy herbal meds if I can't plant any or harvest enough, as their cost efficiency is really nice.

Canute

I like to befriend with them too.
Tribal raid's are annoying too many corpses.

Golden

I only raise the two friendly factions and leave the other two alone.  Those hostile ones are too much trouble until very late in the game.

5thHorseman

I don't tend to try to LOWER relations, but I don't put any work into RAISING them, no. The 2 non-tribals, though, I'd much prefer as allies than enemies.

I'd much rather turn the ship on with both tribes against me and both non-tribes for me.
Toolboxifier - Soil Clarifier
I never got how pawns in the game could have such insanely bad reactions to such mundane things.
Then I came to the forums.

zizard

If i do it, I always tell myself I will kill one if the their caravans and steal some cute pawns but never manage to get around to it.

zgrssd

There is one rather easy way to get relations with anyone that raids you:
Release them when they are fully healed and have at least some clothing. Once he leaves the map, +18 relations.

I usually capture everyone lying around after a Attack. And if it turns out I can not use them as a Colonist, heal them up and throw them out.

Kirby23590

I would keep one tribe hostile and the other friendly.

Their raids are less worst than pirates, outlanders and mechanoids if you have alot of miniguns wielders or great defenses to beat their numbers.

Their pawns are average. It's nice to keep them friendly for a while but that means raids from pirates or mechanoids. Though they raid you in large numbers however their equipment can be outdated if your guys are using late-game charge-rifles.

Befriending them and calling them for help can be a nice distraction but they do heavily fall to raids that are heavily ranged or have better melee weapons than them.

Recruiting a good pawn from their tribe in a raid, can be a good find but if you can throw them back out home faction relations improve. But i rather have some organs for replacement or for silver, while that makes them angry & destroys their relation with my colony, i rather keep the other tribe that is actually friendly as neutral or allied.

Their melee raids can be a problem but it is no where as bad as the pirates & outlanders with their mercenary slashers with shield belts or mechanoid scyther attacks. It's their large numbers that can be a threat unless your defenses are very tight and strong.

One "happy family" in the rims...
Custom font made by Marnador.

Limdood

One interesting thing, as i've been seeing a lot of people talk about wealth management recently, is that allied factions do not count towards wealth, and are a measurable resource (1/day friendly raid when needed).

Additionally, getting and keeping an allied faction helps use up wealth you don't currently need, for that same benefit (rather than destroying solely to reduce wealth)

bbqftw

Yep, why bother making a masterwork thrumbofur duster that blasts off your wealth farore than it has utility (especially compared to econ options like the vest which has similar one shot protection) when you can just donate them to local outlander protection racket.

That said, sometimes friendlies do more harm than good.

Kirby23590

Quote from: Limdood on September 12, 2018, 10:22:45 AM
One interesting thing, as i've been seeing a lot of people talk about wealth management recently, is that allied factions do not count towards wealth, and are a measurable resource (1/day friendly raid when needed).

Additionally, getting and keeping an allied faction helps use up wealth you don't currently need, for that same benefit (rather than destroying solely to reduce wealth)

I mostly ignore the meta. But them seems to be a bit ridiculous in my point of view however. :-\

I prefer how many days did you survive then the raids become slightly more dangerous. Rather than wealth.

One "happy family" in the rims...
Custom font made by Marnador.

khun_poo

I always make war with both tribe  ;D.

In B19, tribal can't be call as emergency friendlies backup anymore due to their lack of technology. Their raid also have so many people that easy to recruit because I'm tribal starter too, we talk the same tongue.

They're very weak against fire. My kill box (Call me noob, who care?) is just a 1 tiled long maze corridor with a cocoa tree plant inside. Whenever raid alive, throw in molotov and wait them burn to crisp. If it rain, just wait at the exit of the tunnel and spam molotov there (2-3 trigger happy with molotov should do the job) along with some melee pawn to finish off those run wild inside my base. Fire damage somehow have more chance to down raider, I maybe wrong in this though  :P.

As for the useless trait prisoner, I stuff them all in the pod launcher and fly them to nearby out lander settlement as a prisoner gift to raise more relationship with them. It maybe a bug because sending gift prisoner via pod launcher doesn't impact the colonist mood. however, it is good for me :D.

Not sure If I can use this method to raise relation ship with bandit or not.

Golden

As far as I know, you can never raise your relationship with the pirate faction.