[1.0-1.4] Advanced Cultivation

Started by theguruofreason, September 01, 2018, 04:41:34 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

theguruofreason

Advanced Cultivation [1.1.9]

Current version: 1.1.9 for Rimworld 1.0, 1.1, 1.2, 1.3, and 1.4

Download

Description:
Advanced Cultivation aims to diversify the farming experience in Rimworld. To this aim, soil has been reworked and composting and fertilizer have been introduced!

Overwritten Vanilla Ground:

• Soil
    • Fertility: 70%

• Rich Soil
    • Fertility: 100%

• Marshy Soil
    • Dries to: Rich Soil

• Gravel
    • Fertility: 40%

• Lichen-Covered Dirt

• Mud
    • Dries to: Rich Soil

New Ground Types:

• Tilling

• Tilling soil gives a 30% fertility boost
    • Soil must be re-tilled after each harvest

• Fertilized Soil

• Has 100% fertility
    • Costs 1 Fertilizer to construct

• Enriched Soil
    • Has 130% fertility
    • Costs 1 Enriched Fertilizer to construct

• Miracle Soil
    • Has 170% fertility
    • Costs 1 Miracle Fertilizer to construct
New Items:

• Raw Compost
    • Requires the "Composting" research
    • Costs .25 nutrition (~5 meat) per compost
    • Can be crafted in batches of 5
    • Craft at crafting spot or butcher table

• Fermented Compost
    • Raw Compost naturally ferments over time (10 days by default)
    • Compost Bins allow compost to ferment faster (6 days by default)

• Fertilizer
    • Requires the "Simple Cultivation" research
    • Costs 5 fermented compost per fertilizer
    • Craft at a Butcher Table or Drug Lab

• Enriched Fertilizer
    • Requires the "Advanced Cultivation" research
    • Costs 7 fermented compost and 2 psychite tea per fertilizer
    • Craft at a Drug Lab

• Miracle Fertilizer
    • Requires the "Miracle Cultivation" research
    • Costs 10 fermented compost and 3 flake per fertilizer
    • Craft at a Drug Lab
If you don't like the increased difficulty from the soil changes, feel free to modify the Terrain_AC.xml.

Conflicts
This mod alters vanilla ground objects (soil, rich soil, gravel, march, and lichen). Any mod loaded after it which alters these terrain may override these changes. Mods which add growable soil types will not have those types be tillable. Other than that, I don't anticipate any conflicts.

Author/Mod Team
Gasch (aka theguruofreason)

Download

How to install:

• Unzip the contents and place them in your RimWorld/Mods folder.
  • Activate the mod in the mod menu in the game.

License Info:

• Can modpack makers include your mod in their modpack? YES (ensure you provide credit to me for this content)
  • Can other modders make derivative mods based on yours? YES (ensure you provide credit to me for this content)
Feel free to contact me for any reason:
Discord: Gasch#6759
Steam: https://steamcommunity.com/id/theguruofreason/

Canute

theguruofreason,
thanks for the mod would be a nice improvement, special since Fertile Field isn't updated to B19 yet.
But what do you think to made miracle Fertilizer not craftable.
Such superior item should be rewarded by quests or buyable from orbital traders only.

ultra4

I find it extremely similar to Rainbeau's Fertile Fields, which is one of the most popular mods out there. The main difference is the extra tweak on numbers, but without any terraforming. It's a nice standalone, but FF has the numbers i'm used to, in fact normal soil not being the 100% seems so confusing, it's like using a scale that is calibrated wrong.

theguruofreason

Quote from: Canute on September 01, 2018, 04:49:44 PM
theguruofreason,
thanks for the mod would be a nice improvement, special since Fertile Field isn't updated to B19 yet.
But what do you think to made miracle Fertilizer not craftable.
Such superior item should be rewarded by quests or buyable from orbital traders only.

If you don't want it to be craftable you can simply delete the recipe. If it's overtuned in your opinion, you can tune it down a bit. As it is, it's relatively difficult to craft large quantities needed for farming as it requires 10 fermented compost (6 days to compost per batch of 25) and 3 flake per unit.

Quote from: ultra4 on September 01, 2018, 05:34:54 PM
I find it extremely similar to Rainbeau's Fertile Fields, which is one of the most popular mods out there. The main difference is the extra tweak on numbers, but without any terraforming. It's a nice standalone, but FF has the numbers i'm used to, in fact normal soil not being the 100% seems so confusing, it's like using a scale that is calibrated wrong.

That makes sense. I made this as a personal project because I felt that Rainbeau's is too overbearing, adding too much with terraforming. Another major difference is the addition of composting and fertilizer. If you want to change the soil number, feel free. I changed them because I felt that unfertilized, untilled soil should be below-grade soil to grow in, representing poor and uncivilized farming conditions. Fertile soil is then the new standard for growth.

drd23

Quote from: ultra4 on September 01, 2018, 05:34:54 PMhas the numbers i'm used to, in fact normal soil not being the 100% seems so confusing, it's like using a scale that is calibrated wrong.
Agreed.  Normal soil being so low and rich soil only being 100% makes this a mod that I would probably only consider using if I were to start a colony somewhere with a long growing season.  As I'm really loving trying out Naked Brutality runs in Boreal forest/Tundra biomes, this would up the difficulty massively

I do understand the feeling of wanting something simpler than Rainbeau's Fertile Fields though

Serenity

You had me until Miracle Fertilizer. That makes it just another OP mod

I like that you need to invest some efforts to make growing fields viable. And being a bit better than vanilla fields is fine. But this is too much

Namsan

I like the idea of this mod(especially nerfing natural soil), but
Quote from: Serenity on September 02, 2018, 04:19:50 AM

I like that you need to invest some efforts to make growing fields viable. And being a bit better than vanilla fields is fine. But this is too much

I have the same opinion as this person.
200% is OP.
Hello

theguruofreason

Quote from: Serenity on September 02, 2018, 04:19:50 AM

Miracle Fertilizer is very expensive and time consuming to produce, costly to research, and still doesn't have nearly as high fertility as hydroponics (280%). I'm balancing it with regard to hydroponics basins, as that's where you'll be. I don't like OP mods either, and I've carefully considered the numbers on this.

If you think it's too much, I'd be happy to consider changing it if you play and provide some feedback. You can also simply edit the fertility yourself by changing 1 line in the XML.

Canute

theguruofreason,
i notice the research project's are under vanilla research view a bit chaotic (picture).
And they overlay with vanilla projects.
You should put them into an own research tab.

[attachment deleted due to age]

theguruofreason

@Canute Advanced Cultivation now has its own research tab!

theguruofreason

Updated to 1.0.2 (github link is updated)
- Vanilla terrain changes are now patches instead of full overwrites! (makes this compatible with other terrain altering mods)
- You now receive a message when raw compost is ruined by temperature whether it's in bins or in a stockpile
- Raw compost which has not been binned now properly ferments!

theguruofreason

Updated to 1.1.1 (github link is updated)

- Tilling is now a growing-zone designation
- Tilling provides +30% fertility
- A cell is untilled upon harvest of the plant in that cell
- Natural fertility values adjusted slightly to account for tilling (basically -30% on all fertilized soils)
- Mud now dries to rich soil

Canute

theguruofreason,
the release zip from github are missing the Mod-folder.
You know, unexpierenced people just unzip into Mods and the mod wouldn't work.

Edit:
the tilling is a nice idea.
But could you maybe add a check that pawn don't till a tile which is allready sown.
Or maybe a mod option
you can select
Till only at empty tile's.
Can till upto 30%/60% grown plants.

ultra4

I'm liking you mod. I noticed the Grower doesn't do the tilling, the Builder does. The builder has no place inside the greenhouse after it's built (except when the damn heater goes down again, then he really needs to get is ass over there yesterday)

...and gain skill, the new farmer will be using the hoe alot while he whatches the old man collect devilstand without mistakes

theguruofreason

Quote from: ultra4 on September 19, 2018, 04:00:22 PM
I noticed the Grower doesn't do the tilling, the Builder does.

Really? The work give has the "workType" set to "Growing", and in all my testing growers till and gain growing experience while doing so. I'll take another look at it tonight.