[1.0-1.4] Advanced Cultivation

Started by theguruofreason, September 01, 2018, 04:41:34 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

theguruofreason

Quote from: Canute on September 19, 2018, 10:30:59 AM
the tilling is a nice idea.
But could you maybe add a check that pawn don't till a tile which is allready sown.
Or maybe a mod option
you can select
Till only at empty tile's.

I'll probably add that the un-sowed portions of the field get tilled.

With regard to the zip file, it's kind of a lose-lose. I'm going to err on the side of people should pay attention to what they're unzipping, and many zip utilities have simple options for unzipping into a dir matching the zip file dir. Technically (at least in unix, I believe), the zip file is a directory unto itself.

Canute

My grower are doing that tilling job, and tilling is at the Grow worktype.

I think it is a mod conflict. He should post an error log + modlist.

Amnesiac

I like the simplicity and idea of the mod, the only thing holding me back from trying it out is the early game will become more difficult in certain biomes with minimal grow days. By changing the baseline to 70%, and requiring more work to get 100%, I feel like it kinda nerfs regions with only 10 or 20 days to grow, these biomes are my favorites.

Of course it's your mod, I just wanted to provide some honest feedback if you are looking for any. If not, feel free to ignore :)

ultra4

70% is doable. I was using "configurable maps" mod, i made a desert with reduced mountains, reduced plants (preview had agave but end result had none), fertile soil zero, so its ...just sand almost just sand and sandstone chunks, very few cactus in a 325x325 size. 3 pawns, 30 packed meals, no guns. Was aiming for the vegan challenge, but had to knife down 2 dromedaries when the carrots where almost harvestable (vegetable garden: carrot is fast as rice but low soil sensitivity), so the colony survived, after that, start the power and the greenhouses ("transparent roofs" is a must sure). Its a very hard start, but doable. i liked it (on rough Cassandra)

as for the job assignments (modlist) Loading game from file B19 2 with mods Core, HugsLib, JecsTools, Humanoid Alien Races 2.0, Miscellaneous 'CORE', VGP Vegetable Garden, VGP Garden Tools, Spoons Hair Mod, Misc. Training, Androids, A Dog Said..., [KV] Change Dresser - B19, Configurable Maps - B19, Death Rattle, [CP] Detailed Body Textures II (B19), Doors Expanded, Dubs Bad Hygiene, Dubs Mint Menus, FashionRIMsta, Extended Storage, Faction Control - B19, EdB Prepare Carefully, ED-Embrasures, Expanded Roofing, Fences And Floors, Fluffy Breakdowns, Hardcore Armors, Heat Map, Hospitality, MendAndRecycle, Misc. Robots, Pawn Rules, [XND] Targeting Modes, VGP_CoffeeTeaDrugs, VGP Garden Drinks, VGP Garden Fabrics, VGP Garden Canning, VGP Garden Gourmet, Take Your Pills, VGP Garden Medicine, VGP More Veggies, Static Quality Plus B19, VGP Garden Resources, Work Tab, [XND] Visible Pants, VGP Xtra Trees and Flowers, SS Lightning Rod, Sparkling Worlds - Full Mod [B19], RT Solar Flare Shield, RT Power Switch, RT Fuse, Misc. Robots++, Industrial Rollers, Harvest Organs Post Mortem - 4.0 [B18], RIMkea, [KV] RimFridge - B19, [RF] Pawns are Capable! [b19], Research Tree, RBSE Lite Edition, Questionable Ethics, [XND] Profitable Weapons, Pharmacist, [SYR] Prosthetic Icons, Additional Tools Mod, Psychology, Advanced Cultivation [B19]
Verse.Log:Message(String, Boolean)
Verse.SavedGameLoaderNow:LoadGameFromSaveFileNow(String)
Verse.Root_Play:<Start>m__0()
Verse.LongEventHandler:RunEventFromAnotherThread(Action)
Verse.LongEventHandler:<UpdateCurrentAsynchronousEvent>m__1()

the cultivation does create an error:
Could not find class Advanced_Cultivation.TillingDict while resolving node li. Trying to use Verse.MapComponent instead. Full node: <li Class="Advanced_Cultivation.TillingDict" />
Verse.Log:Error(String, Boolean)
Verse.ScribeExtractor:SaveableFromNode(XmlNode, Object[])
Verse.Scribe_Collections:Look(List`1&, Boolean, String, LookMode, Object[])
Verse.Scribe_Collections:Look(List`1&, String, LookMode, Object[])
Verse.Map:ExposeComponents()
Verse.Map:ExposeData()
Verse.ScribeExtractor:SaveableFromNode(XmlNode, Object[])
Verse.Scribe_Collections:Look(List`1&, Boolean, String, LookMode, Object[])
Verse.Scribe_Collections:Look(List`1&, String, LookMode, Object[])
Verse.Game:LoadGame_Patch2(Object)
Verse.SavedGameLoaderNow:LoadGameFromSaveFileNow(String)
Verse.Root_Play:<Start>m__0()
Verse.LongEventHandler:RunEventFromAnotherThread(Action)
Verse.LongEventHandler:<UpdateCurrentAsynchronousEvent>m__1()

i love playing the game and getting more mods, but the error messages are chinese for me

EDIT: so this is new....  :o reinstaled to mod to check for bugs on my part for having outdated version, deleted old files and got fresh zip from first post. I now cannot till soil. The types of soil are there but not tiled. god mode doesn't has it either  :o :o :o de-activated all other mods except hugslib and jectools, new colony, still the same

Canute

Yep, that the new version.
tilled soil got removed, and your pawn's can now till existing growing zone's.
Just select a growing zone and you will see a new icon.
But be careful, many people made gigantic outdoor growing zones and forbid sowing on them, so your pawn's will harvest wild growing stuff there.
You need to disable tilling on these zones too. :-)

Canute

theguruofreason,
could you exclude the tilled soil variant from the allowed building tile list ?
Example, currently you can build Fertilized soil on Tilled Fertilized soil, and would remove the tilling not to speak about to waste the fertilizer.

And currently the old soil get removed before the new one got build.
Ok i have no expierence with farming, just dig the compost at the dirt for my grandma, so it might could lead to an overfertilition when you just put the better fertilizer over the other.
But i think it wouldn't matter, the plant just take what they need.

QuoteWith regard to the zip file, it's kind of a lose-lose. I'm going to err on the side of people should pay attention to what they're unzipping, and many zip utilities have simple options for unzipping into a dir matching the zip file dir. Technically (at least in unix, I believe), the zip file is a directory unto itself.
Ahh yes i understood, and that's why your mod on the Steam workshop don't work ? :-)
I think the workshop got some rules how the filestructure should be.

theguruofreason

Quote from: Amnesiac on September 20, 2018, 03:15:44 AM
I like the simplicity and idea of the mod, the only thing holding me back from trying it out is the early game will become more difficult in certain biomes with minimal grow days.

That's totally understandable. I plan to have modsettings to allows users to adjust fertilities and workToTill on the fly, but in the mean time you can edit <mod root dir>/Patches/Vanilla_Overwrites_AC.xml to change the fertilities (will probably want to change <mod root dir>/Defs/Terrain_AC.xml as well to boost the tilled types to correct values).

Quote from: Canute on September 20, 2018, 11:44:53 AM
But be careful, many people made gigantic outdoor growing zones and forbid sowing on them, so your pawn's will harvest wild growing stuff there.
You need to disable tilling on these zones too. :-)

The next version will have tilling disallowed by default.

Quote from: Canute on September 20, 2018, 05:12:37 PM
theguruofreason,
could you exclude the tilled soil variant from the allowed building tile list ?
Example, currently you can build Fertilized soil on Tilled Fertilized soil, and would remove the tilling not to speak about to waste the fertilizer.
I think you don't want to exclude tilled soil variants from the allowed building tile list because then the only way to remove tilled soil (say you want to build a wood floor there) would be to grow something on it and harvest it. It's a good point though, and I'll work on an elegant solution.

Quote from: Canute on September 20, 2018, 05:12:37 PM
And currently the old soil get removed before the new one got build.
Ok i have no expierence with farming, just dig the compost at the dirt for my grandma, so it might could lead to an overfertilition when you just put the better fertilizer over the other.
But i think it wouldn't matter, the plant just take what they need.
When designing game systems, you often have to compromise for the sake of simplicity. This is one of those times.

QuoteAhh yes i understood, and that's why your mod on the Steam workshop don't work ? :-)

My mod on the steam workshop doesn't work?!

Quote from: ultra4 on September 20, 2018, 08:02:44 AM
EDIT: so this is new....  :o reinstaled to mod to check for bugs on my part for having outdated version, deleted old files and got fresh zip from first post. I now cannot till soil. The types of soil are there but not tiled. god mode doesn't has it either  :o :o :o de-activated all other mods except hugslib and jectools, new colony, still the same
Tilling has fundamentally changed (for the better)! Now tilling is a per-zone designation after research. This means that you can till all growable soil for 30% fertility bonus! It also means that you'll have to retill the soil after harvest. I've played with it in one challenging colony so far and it feels good to me. I'd be interested to know your perspective.

Canute

Quote from: theguruofreason on September 20, 2018, 11:52:56 PM
QuoteAhh yes i understood, and that's why your mod on the Steam workshop don't work ? :-)

My mod on the steam workshop doesn't work?!
Sorry no it was sarcastic.
But i think you should put the same archive you use for steam workshop at the github release, just to follow the mod guidelines for the folder structure.

Razzoriel

Hi there, do you mind if I absorb this mod for Outer Galaxies? The concept of tilling for more realistic growing is very appealing.

Canute

Some other issue i found.
Other mod's like Blueberries or Vegetable garden add plant they don't need to be replant after harvest.
But a tilling would remove them.
Could you maybe add a check at tilling for an existing plant and then increase the tilling work by 50% ?

Edit:
Don't you think the raw compost generate a bit much heat ?
The room of the pic just got heated by the compost, outside -11 inside +14.
At summer i need to open the vents, or everything get cooked.
Could be a nice heating way on a perma winter base ! :-)

The compost bin start freezing even without load, and the sound/message on ruined compost get looped, only a reload fixed that.

[attachment deleted due to age]

theguruofreason

Quote from: Razzoriel on September 21, 2018, 09:40:21 AM
Hi there, do you mind if I absorb this mod for Outer Galaxies? The concept of tilling for more realistic growing is very appealing.
Hey, yeah, go for it. If you could reference my mod or give me credit, that would be great!

theguruofreason

Quote from: Canute on September 22, 2018, 03:37:03 AM
Some other issue i found.
Other mod's like Blueberries or Vegetable garden add plant they don't need to be replant after harvest.
But a tilling would remove them.
Could you maybe add a check at tilling for an existing plant and then increase the tilling work by 50% ?

This would require some pretty specific interactions and code checks I think. I don't want to fundamentally alter my mod just to accommodate some portion of its users who also use another mod. The upcoming version will prevent tilling if a sowed plant exists. I assume this will resolve your concern.

Quote from: Canute on September 22, 2018, 03:37:03 AM
Edit:
Don't you think the raw compost generate a bit much heat ?

No. Compost generates quite a bit of heat, and it's something you have to consider when storing your fermenting compost.

Canute

QuoteThe upcoming version will prevent tilling if a sowed plant exists. I assume this will resolve your concern.
Not realy since these plant never get the tilling bonus after the 1. harvest.
And you can't till the area where ambrosia sprout out, which are vanila plants and multiharvestable.

theguruofreason

Quote from: Canute on September 23, 2018, 05:23:14 AM
And you can't till the area where ambrosia sprout out, which are vanila plants and multiharvestable.

This is intended. I think that you shouldn't be able to till any tile which already has a plant (tilling disturbs the soil too much).

As for the blueberries, that is an unfortunate conflict. I'm not sure what to do about it, if anything.

theguruofreason

Update Released!
V1.1.2

The github link in the main post is updated!

Change Notes:

• Growing zones have tilling set to "off" by default.
  • Pawns will not till cells with sown plants. Cut or harvest sown plants to force them to till the cell.
  • Compost bins now properly report fermentation progress after being refilled.
  • Creating fertilized terrain can now be done underneath plants, but removes tilling.
  • Fertilized terrain designations are now in a dropdown instead of in 3 separate gizmos.
  • Can no longer "remove floor" on fertilized terrain.