Set what construction a colonist is allowed to do

Started by albiero, September 01, 2018, 07:44:55 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

albiero

Even if a colonist is at skill 0 at construction, they can still build walls to the same quality, just more slowly with more chance of failure.  Even with that, if I'm rushing a construction job, say at the beginning of the game, I want all hands on deck. 

But, I only want my most skilled construction workers creating things like beds and tables, whose quality will affect mood.  I don't want someone I set helping me put up quick environmental protection making a really crappy bed.

AnActualDuck

There is a mod for this that accomplishes exactly what you want. It should really be integrated in to the game so +1 fro me. Or.... +2 from me! Nah wait... +6.

BlackSmokeDMax

Quote from: AnActualDuck on September 01, 2018, 08:23:59 PM
There is a mod for this that accomplishes exactly what you want. It should really be integrated in to the game so +1 fro me. Or.... +2 from me! Nah wait... +6.

Yep, that mod is Quality Builder by Hatti:

ludeon: https://ludeon.com/forums/index.php?topic=28678.0
Steam: https://steamcommunity.com/sharedfiles/filedetails/?id=754637870

AileTheAlien

I feel like the things that have quality shouldn't even be considered "construction" jobs, or if they are, they should also take into account the pawn's crafting skill and priorities. If these items were all made with the same skill (or at least different skills than construction), then the player could properly manage their pawns with the existing UI.

It doesn't feel right to me, that the same skills used for making a straight wall, are what's used to make pretty art-work. But only if that art-work happens to be on certain items - otherwise it uses a skill that makes sense for art.

Emulsion

+1 for the integration of this mod or a similar function!

Please don't give the crafting skill even more jobs. In my opinion they could get split in several skills already ;) it doesn't make sense that you can tailor masterwork pants because you trained by crafting a lot of bows for example..

The suggestion with the art skill on the other hand could be interesting..
Maybe an artist could carve some decorations into constructed furniture  :)
But that's probably too much to ask for..
And it'd make the construction skill meaningless unless it'd stack in some way and then it just gets more complicated to add  ;D