[0.19.2009] Using brackets [] in character names causes referral errors

Started by lancar, September 02, 2018, 02:12:46 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

lancar

Simple to replicate. Just rename any character to use [] in the name, for example "Engie" into "[A] Engie". The game returns an error, and social log starts giving them as well as character interactions are created.

Not using any mods.

[attachment deleted due to age]

merdoyant

I created an account just to be able to say THANK YOU! I had errors "Could not resolve any root" everywhere since I updated to b19 and I could not figure out the cause. You are spot on, I removed the brackets from the characters name and lo and behold, the messages are working again.

Tynan

Yeah, I think the fix is to deny {} and [] characters in inputted text.
Tynan Sylvester - @TynanSylvester - Tynan's Blog

lancar

Quote from: Tynan on September 05, 2018, 08:49:33 AM
Yeah, I think the fix is to deny {} and [] characters in inputted text.
That should do the trick.

I should mention, however, that I use this system to designate pawn roles in combat so I know at-a-glance which pawns have which combat role (very useful in both caravan selection and colony defense).
Pawn titles, while they can be changed, are not visible with their names at the top of the screen so cannot be used for this purpose, nor would I really want to because i think their default titles gives nice flavor.

Truly, I would want a way to mark pawns as"melee" or "sniper" etc without having it showing up in the social log at all. All i need is have it show in caravans and the top of the screen in colony view.
Either that or have their currently equipped weapon visible on/near their icon when drafted. Maybe the icon could even equip it? Might be a more elegant solution, tbh.
That's neither here nor there, though. This isn't the suggestions forum. Just wanted to explain why I used the [].