[B19] Star Trek Races 1.1

Started by DarthMet, September 02, 2018, 10:19:50 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

DarthMet

Star Trek Races

Description:
This mod adds twelve races from the Star Trek Universe. Andorians, Bajorans, Betazoids, Bolians, Cardassians, Ferengi, Klingons, Nausicaans, Orions, Romulans, Tellarites, and Vulcans; as pictured above.

Requirements
This mod requires Humanoid Alien Race Framework. Load StarTrekRaces after the framework.
https://rim-world.com/humanoid-alien-races-tool/
It is also available in the Steam Workshop

Recommendations
Hospitality - Allows recruitment from friendly factions, which makes acquiring alien colonists easier
https://ludeon.com/forums/index.php?topic=11444.0

I would recommend a mod that adds more traits because one of the ways I made the races unique is by placing trait preferences on the races, so without this mod one Klingon may not be all that different from another. I would recommend getting this mod if you want the aliens to have a bit more personality
https://ludeon.com/forums/index.php?topic=45488.0

The Races
If you want more details on the races go to http://memory-alpha.wikia.com/wiki/Portal:Main 
This is only a short list of what each race features in game.

Andorians:
-Resistant to cold temperatures but averse to warm temperatures
-Resistance to disease

Bajorans:
-Enhanced farming abilities
-Good memory; never forget the occupation

Betazoids:
-Very High Social impact, but also extreme psychic sensitivity

Bolians:
-Some toxic resistance
-Slight increase to social impact
-No penalty for eating raw food

Cardassians:
-Resistant to warm temperatures but averse to cold temperatures
-No penalty for killing prisoners or for being in the dark

Ferengi:
-Weak fighters
-Men hate women and women are nudists

Klingon:
-Very good fighters
-poor farmers

Nausicaan:
-Very tough
-Not very smart
-Slow

Orion:
-Women are beautiful and intelligent
-Men are brutish and tough

Romulan:
-Extremely hard workers
-Hate other aliens

Tellarite:
-Rude
-Resiliant
-Good Builders

Vulcan:
-Immune to most mood debuffs
-Difficult to break

How the races are inserted into the world
Many mods add one or more factions to insert their races into the world. While I don't really mind this for one mod, it gets out of control when your world has 20 factions, one for each race mod you have installed. To compensate for this, I made it so the vanilla Outlander and Pirate factions have many aliens within their ranks filling various roles. Your starting colonists can also be rolled as an alien, they may join you through refugee events, or they can be bought as slaves.

Compatibility
This mod should work with most other mods. If a mod inserts hair styles or body types, or alters their textures, the aliens from this mod should use them seamlessly. I am not a very good modder and the way I inserted the races was somewhat invasive, so if you are running a mod that modifies the vanilla factions their may be issues. I would recommend loading this mod after Humanoid Alien Framework, but still before any mod that modifies vanilla factions.

Changelog
-Updated textures for Vulcans, Romulans, and Betazoids
-Added three new starting scenarios for Klingons, Cardassians, and Romulans
-Added name generation for all races(thanks to sumghai for the name list)
-Fixed naked Klingon Pirates
-Fixed the aliens not having a log tab
-initial release

Download
https://www.dropbox.com/sh/sng9usjffm3pshz/AAC8UtVSMbpRnh6PxQlYDQV8a?dl=0

How to install:
- select Download -> direct download from the top right corner of dropbox
- Unzip the contents and place the folder titled StarTrekRaces in your RimWorld/Mods folder.
- Activate the mod in the mod menu in the game.

Permissions
Do whatever you want. I would appreciate being credited but I don't demand it.

Onasaki

This is a great mod addition for anyone who wants a large selection of new races mingled in with the vast humanness of Rimworld. My only suggestions for it, are to add scenarios for some of the more notable races, like a group of Ferengi stranded on a rim planet after they tried to rip someone off who didn't like it.

A Klingon war party that was sent to scout the planet, but their ship exploded.

Maybe a lost Federation Away Team, consisting of a randomized group of Federation races, in Federation garb.

I'd also really like it if the name generator for the Star Trek Races actually used Star Trek names without needing to type it in manually. It's really odd to start a game with a Ferengi named Chris. Or a Klingon named Victoria. XD

Other then that, I love this mod. It's pretty great. I would also suggest giving Vulcans/Romulans pointed ears (And give them more correct hair), and Betazoids bigger eyes. Make use of that alien thing. Ask Jec for help with pointed ears, his elves are great!
I have two forces by my side;
One's the truth and one's a lie;
Which one's which I cannot tell;
This enigma is my hell.

DarthMet

Quote from: Onasaki on September 03, 2018, 08:49:55 PM
This is a great mod addition for anyone who wants a large selection of new races mingled in with the vast humanness of Rimworld. My only suggestions for it, are to add scenarios for some of the more notable races, like a group of Ferengi stranded on a rim planet after they tried to rip someone off who didn't like it.

A Klingon war party that was sent to scout the planet, but their ship exploded.

Maybe a lost Federation Away Team, consisting of a randomized group of Federation races, in Federation garb.

I'd also really like it if the name generator for the Star Trek Races actually used Star Trek names without needing to type it in manually. It's really odd to start a game with a Ferengi named Chris. Or a Klingon named Victoria. XD

Other then that, I love this mod. It's pretty great. I would also suggest giving Vulcans/Romulans pointed ears (And give them more correct hair), and Betazoids bigger eyes. Make use of that alien thing. Ask Jec for help with pointed ears, his elves are great!

Thanks for the feedback! I certainly agree about adding some interesting scenarios, mostly because if you want an all Klingon starting colony the only way to do so right now is to reload your starting colonists a dozen or so times, which is a pain.

The ears for the Vulcans were something I was thinking about how to implement, but the eyes for the Betazoids wasn't something I considered but is a really good idea. The aliens in Star Trek often resemble humans very closely, so making noticeable differences is definitely a challenge, but hopefully a simple change can make them unique enough.

The name generation was one of the things that bugged me immediately when I started testing this mod, and I started thinking about a name generator, but what stopped me moving forward was the lack of names for some races. Sure, you can find probably hundreds of names for Klingons and Vulcans, but Ferengi only have a dozen or so, and I don't think their are any named Nausicaans at all. I should at least add one for Klingons because the information is out there, but I'm not creative enough to make up my own names for the other races.

Anyway the feedback is appreciated, and I am working on adding a Cardassian scenario, and I will certainly add others.

sumghai

In terms of name generation, Star Trek Online has a huge collection of names you could base your own name generator from:

https://www.stoacademy.com/tools/name_generator.php

https://sto.gamepedia.com/List_of_duty_officers
(subpages for each career type contain lists of names with their associated species and genders)

Ruisuki

cool man. i liked tng and hear good things about the sisko and female commander one. not the new one, hear that got the same treatment as the action movies

Onasaki

Yeah, Betazoids have all black eyes. The best way to show this in Rimworld, is likely to make the current eyes a little bigger. You did well enough for the Klingon Forehead-Ridges, and Ferengi Ears.

If you need to try to differentiate Romulans from Vulcans, you could add swoopy eyebrows to one(I'd say Romulans, since Vulcans always look so serious) and no visible eyebrows to the other once you figure out the pointy-ear angle. For hair styles, really, just limit the hairstyles for Vulcans and Romulans to short-hair styles(This might not work in things like Prepare Carefully, where you can edit every aspect of your character's features, clothes, traits, etc.), or something.

My other suggestion would be take a tip from Jec, he made 'dwarf' 'elf' and 'hobbit' all permanent effects. And used that, to give Dwarves, Elves, and Hobbits their racial bonuses. That's not to say you have to do this, but it's a really neat way to do new races with special traits.
This enigma is my hell.

DarthMet

Quote from: sumghai on September 04, 2018, 12:34:13 AM
In terms of name generation, Star Trek Online has a huge collection of names you could base your own name generator from:

https://www.stoacademy.com/tools/name_generator.php

https://sto.gamepedia.com/List_of_duty_officers
(subpages for each career type contain lists of names with their associated species and genders)

I didn't know this resource was out there, but it certainly makes my job easier. I began to look into how to implement a name generator by looking at some other mods, but I got confused rather quickly so I may put that task on hold for a while. Thanks for pointing me toward this, If I figure out how to add a name generator  it will make the task a quick one.

Quote from: Onasaki on September 04, 2018, 03:11:26 PM
Yeah, Betazoids have all black eyes. The best way to show this in Rimworld, is likely to make the current eyes a little bigger. You did well enough for the Klingon Forehead-Ridges, and Ferengi Ears.

If you need to try to differentiate Romulans from Vulcans, you could add swoopy eyebrows to one(I'd say Romulans, since Vulcans always look so serious) and no visible eyebrows to the other once you figure out the pointy-ear angle. For hair styles, really, just limit the hairstyles for Vulcans and Romulans to short-hair styles(This might not work in things like Prepare Carefully, where you can edit every aspect of your character's features, clothes, traits, etc.), or something.

My other suggestion would be take a tip from Jec, he made 'dwarf' 'elf' and 'hobbit' all permanent effects. And used that, to give Dwarves, Elves, and Hobbits their racial bonuses. That's not to say you have to do this, but it's a really neat way to do new races with special traits.

These are my first attempt at redone textures; Betazoids, Vulcans, and Romulans as pictured. Romulans actually do feature a pronounced brow while vulcans do not, so hopefully this will provide an adequate distinction. Thanks for the tip with the Betazoid eyes, I hope I didn't overdo it.

Quote from: Ruisuki on September 04, 2018, 02:05:06 AM
cool man. i liked tng and hear good things about the sisko and female commander one. not the new one, hear that got the same treatment as the action movies

I haven't watched Discovery but a lot of people have nothing good to say about it. Most of the races I have added here are from TNG/DS9. Voyager, the one with the female captain, is a good show in my opinion, but it has a slightly different setting so I didn't really add any races from Voyager.

Onasaki

This enigma is my hell.

TalCeles

Looks very accurate so far, nice work!

DarthMet

Quote from: TalCeles on September 15, 2018, 12:38:45 PM
Looks very accurate so far, nice work!
Thanks! I spend a lot more time watching Star Trek than I do making mods, so accuracy wasn't so much my problem as my ability to implement my knowledge. The one part that is only semi-accurate is the new name generator. I used the Star-Trek Online name generator, which isn't totally canon.

Nightinggale

Quote from: DarthMet on September 02, 2018, 10:19:50 PMFerengi:
-Weak fighters
Where is the lust for money? Mood and debuffs should be highly affected by wealth. A Ferengi who cares as little for wealth as a puny human is not a real Ferengi. In fact mood should depend on the amount of silver stockpiled. The question is how it should be implemented and if it can be done without resorting to DLL writing.
ModCheck - boost your patch loading times and include patchmods in your main mod.

Canute

+1 mood for each 10000 silver they own ? :-)

DarthMet

Quote from: Nightinggale on September 16, 2018, 07:59:32 AM
Quote from: DarthMet on September 02, 2018, 10:19:50 PMFerengi:
-Weak fighters
Where is the lust for money? Mood and debuffs should be highly affected by wealth. A Ferengi who cares as little for wealth as a puny human is not a real Ferengi. In fact mood should depend on the amount of silver stockpiled. The question is how it should be implemented and if it can be done without resorting to DLL writing.
This is a good idea! It might be somewhat odd that they are happy that the colony is wealthy instead of they are, but it would be accurate enough. I do have them heavily predisposed to the greedy trait, but wanting a nice bedroom is not exactly the same as wanting money. I'm looking into a way to modify their base expectations so that they are always more demanding, and I don't think I will need to add a DLL for it.

markaragnossith

Neat. What a great way to verify that I don't really know anything about the Star Trek races.

Excited to see how the races develop