Volcanic Eruption

Started by Arkay_The_Arcane, September 03, 2018, 12:45:41 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Arkay_The_Arcane

I know, I know, we already have volcanic eruptions in the form of volcanic winters, but what I'm proposing is a bit different.

First of all, a couple of impassable mountain spots on the map would be turned into volcanoes during the generation of a world. They're pretty high, but also affect the eruption itself for the player.

When the eruption happens, a few thing can occur:

• A few meteorite-like pieces of rock are sent hurling towards the player colony, and will spawn a ring of fire around them when they land. (Perhaps a new, rare type of volcanic rock that's the strength of granite, but slightly easier to lay.
  • Lava could spawn from sides of the map, setting fire to any nearby plants and flammable things. (I'm a bit sceptical this will happen, seeing how hard it would be to program in)
  • A small volcanic winter could happen that doesn't last longer than a day.
  • Animals could start running off the map, trying to avoid the eruption.

Depending on how close you are to the volcano, the events will have a much lower chance of affecting your colony. This will make players more carefully consider base placement, as the closer they are to volcanoes, the more dangerous the terrain is. However, to make it a bit fairer that mountain bases are going to be the primary victim of the eruption, I've designed it so that most events aren't as dangerous for mountain bases as for flatland bases.

Anastasia

Quote from: Robotic_Killer on September 03, 2018, 12:45:41 PM
I know, I know, we already have volcanic eruptions in the form of volcanic winters, but what I'm proposing is a bit different.

First of all, a couple of impassable mountain spots on the map would be turned into volcanoes during the generation of a world. They're pretty high, but also affect the eruption itself for the player.

When the eruption happens, a few thing can occur:

• A few meteorite-like pieces of rock are sent hurling towards the player colony, and will spawn a ring of fire around them when they land. (Perhaps a new, rare type of volcanic rock that's the strength of granite, but slightly easier to lay.
  • Lava could spawn from sides of the map, setting fire to any nearby plants and flammable things. (I'm a bit sceptical this will happen, seeing how hard it would be to program in)
  • A small volcanic winter could happen that doesn't last longer than a day.
  • Animals could start running off the map, trying to avoid the eruption.

Depending on how close you are to the volcano, the events will have a much lower chance of affecting your colony. This will make players more carefully consider base placement, as the closer they are to volcanoes, the more dangerous the terrain is. However, to make it a bit fairer that mountain bases are going to be the primary victim of the eruption, I've designed it so that most events aren't as dangerous for mountain bases as for flatland bases.
alot could be done without spawning lava, very few people actually know alot that happens in an eruption.
first off, weeks before the main event earthquaks happen, this could be simulated by random screen shaking with some audio that does damage to structures, and more damage depending on how weak the terrain  is and how heavy the structure is.
toxic gas also escapes fromt he ground during, before, and after the eruption. this could be done by converting steam geysers into toxic gas vents which would poison colonist in an area around them.
ash tends to rain down during eruptions, this could be a snow like thing, and would temp. boost fertility in soils.
pyroclastic flows are rare but insanely dangerous super heated ash clouds that roll down the sides of the volcano for miles bringing toxic gas, ash, and small and medium sized rocks screaming thru the air with it. this could be simulated by an event warning and an hours or two ingame of notic before a fog of war effect and extreme burn and toxic damage to anyone outside, aswell as structure damage and random placement of slate(volcanic rock) in the form of walls and chuncks around the map.
as for lava, there is basically no way this could be done.
"Your ethics and philosophies mean nothing to me, all i ask is that you give me a solution that works."