[1.0] Caravan Gear

Started by Thom Blair III, September 03, 2018, 04:07:45 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Thom Blair III

Provides lightweight, portable gear specially designed for caravans and camping.

Caravan Chair:
- Prevents the "Uncomfortable (need something soft to sit on)" mood while on caravans
- Weight: 1kg
- Research requirement: Complex furniture

Caravan Table:
- Prevents the "Ate without a table" mood while on caravans
- Size: 1x1
- Seats 4 people
- Weight: 2kg
- Research requirement: Complex furniture

Caravan Chemfuel Stove:
- Holds 3 chemfuel
- Can cook any type of meal
- Size: 1x1

Caravan Lantern:
- Powered by chemfuel
- 3 chemfuel provides 1.4 days of runtime
- Can be switched on and off
- Weight: 0.5kg

Caravan Biofuel Refinery:
- Produces chemfuel from wood, raw food, and plant matter
- Approximately 2 organic matter yields 1 chemfuel
- Research requirement: Electricity and Biofuel refining

Caravan Generator:
- Powered by chemfuel
- Generates 500W
- 5 chemfuel provides 2.5 days of runtime
- Weight: 2.5kg
- Research requirement: Electricity

Fully save compatible. Please report any errors.

(For tents, see "Camping Stuff" by Alias)

Steam
Dropbox
Older versions and all my other Rimworld mods on Dropbox
I was surprised to read about Angkor Thom in Cambodia. I looked up what "Thom" means and it's "big" or "great", so my avatar icon is ធំ which is "Thom" in Khmer.

rawrfisher

Could you expand on it a bit to include other items like whats normally found for camping.
Professional jerk
Want something broken let me know

Thom Blair III

I'd be glad to, but what would they be? I had considered tents and lighter weight bedrolls. But since the normal bedrolls are 3.5kg now I decided to leave them as is. I also wasn't sure how exactly to make a tent or if it was even needed. I haven't seen a debuff for not having a tent and I couldn't find a way to make it rain on a caravan, so I only included the chairs and the tables because the only debuff I was seeing was for "ate without a table". If you see any other debuff, please let me know. Or, if you want lighter bedrolls, let me know what you think would be a reasonable weight.
I was surprised to read about Angkor Thom in Cambodia. I looked up what "Thom" means and it's "big" or "great", so my avatar icon is ធំ which is "Thom" in Khmer.

Canute

I know you arn't a C# modder (yet).
But it would be cool if there would exist something similar like the
Camping Stuff
https://ludeon.com/forums/index.php?topic=29145.0
In your case some deloyable camping furniture.
It would create the table with 4 stools and refuelable stove, like the tent from the other mod.

But about your mod, do you just need to have the table at the caravan inventory to prevent the debuff, or table and chair/stool ?

5thHorseman

Are there detriments to using these over regular tables and stools in your colony, or are they the same as regular ones only cheaper and better?
Toolboxifier - Soil Clarifier
I never got how pawns in the game could have such insanely bad reactions to such mundane things.
Then I came to the forums.

Thom Blair III

Quote from: Canute on September 03, 2018, 04:57:54 PM
But about your mod, do you just need to have the table at the caravan inventory to prevent the debuff, or table and chair/stool ?
It appears you only need the table to prevent the "ate without a table" debuff, but I'm now seeing everyone on my caravan is getting a "uncomfortable (we need something soft to sit on)" debuff as well. So, I'm going to work on making the chairs padded so that uncomfortable buff can be eliminated.

As for the tents, stoves and butcher spot:
- tents & heater: I'm not sure if they are needed yet, but I have yet to test in cold weather. I assume they will be needed to prevent the "I slept in the cold" debuff. I'll work on how to make these.
- butcher spot: I will work on seeing how this can be implemented. So far, I haven't needed it, but I'm sure it would be useful if the caravan stops for a while and you can hunt.
- sleeping bags: I might make a mummy bag style sleeping bag and see if that can take the place of the heater and the bedroll. They can be very light weight and also extremely warm. When I went camping in real life, I had to be careful not to get too hot in mine when we were camping at lower altitudes, but it was great when we were camping on ice and snow. I slept out on a glacier top at 10,000ft in only my mummy bag and a sleeping pad. No heater or tent and I was perfectly warm all night long.

Any other suggestions or ideas? Any feedback is welcome.
:)

Ruisuki

i hope you get around to adding tents and portable stoves. Nandos camping stuff mod has been mostly integrated into vanilla by now. And its portable stove is inferior in every way to the vanilla campfire

rawrfisher

My main one is recreation.
I just load my caravans up with booze and candy then send em off.
Professional jerk

Ruisuki

You the man Thom i like where this mod is going. I think i remember Tynan mentioning he added a butcher spot for B19 in the latest update didnt he? And sleeping rolls were added in b18. Or do you plan on adding something different to them? I dont want to discourage you if you do

Ruisuki

yeah im really liking the lantern and stove textures. Other than tents Im not sure what else would be required for camping, if I think of anything ill let you know but I doubt I can think of anything else other than minor conveniences. I agree theres no need for a butcher spot or bedrolls since tynan added them

One thing that really bothered me about Nandos stove was that its recipes were a lot weaker than a campfire in that I could do bulk meals and use wood instead with the latter and not his mod. Others have mentioned portables shouldnt have bulk options so do you think youd ever consider adding a couple original made-for-travel meals to your stove? If I had to say one way to make portable stoves more attractive to use than vanilla would be to make meals cooked on them cook foods that are maybe less nutritious but also faster to cook. The biggest advantage portable stove meals should have is for them to be focused on lower carry weight, as thats vital while caravanning

Thom Blair III

Quote from: Ruisuki on September 05, 2018, 05:32:46 AM
yeah im really liking the lantern and stove textures. Other than tents Im not sure what else would be required for camping.
Thank you. Someone else requested a portable biofuel refinery, so I made a small one for long-term camping. I'm about to post the version with that in it. I'll definitely think about travel foods, though the packaged survival meals seem like they might suffice. If other people also agree new meals are needed, I'll see what I can do.

Thom Blair III

I've updated this to version 1.5 with these changes:
- Now includes chair, table, lantern, stove, chemfuel refinery and generator
- Renamed to "Caravan Gear" since it's more than just furniture now
- Lots of balance adjustments

Please let me know if there's something that should be more balanced...I've been trying to follow vanilla ratios, but I might have made some mistakes.

Thom Blair III

Quote from: Ruisuki on September 04, 2018, 02:10:16 AM
I think i remember Tynan mentioning he added a butcher spot for B19 in the latest update didnt he?
Yep, there's a butcher spot in B19, so unless people really want something different, I don't think I'll make any other version of that.

Also, if anyone notices any fields/tags I've forgotten to add to anything, please let me know. It's all pretty confusing to me since I'm so new to modding, but my intention is to include everything that's supposed to be there. Thanks!

rawrfisher

Config error in CaravanChemfuelStove_TWB: has duplicate thingCategory BuildingsProduction.
Verse.Log:Error(String, Boolean)
Verse.DefDatabase`1:ErrorCheckAllDefs()
System.Reflection.MonoMethod:InternalInvoke(Object, Object[], Exception&)
System.Reflection.MonoMethod:Invoke(Object, BindingFlags, Binder, Object[], CultureInfo)
System.Reflection.MethodBase:Invoke(Object, Object[])
Verse.GenGeneric:InvokeStaticMethodOnGenericType(Type, Type, String)
Verse.PlayDataLoader:DoPlayLoad()
Verse.PlayDataLoader:LoadAllPlayData(Boolean)
Verse.Root:<Start>m__1()
Verse.LongEventHandler:RunEventFromAnotherThread(Action)
Verse.LongEventHandler:<UpdateCurrentAsynchronousEvent>m__1()

I'll leave this right here
Professional jerk

Thom Blair III

I'm not getting that error in my debug log, and when I check CaravanChemfuelStove_TWB.xml, there is only one reference to thingCategory. Where else could this error be coming from?