How a failed raid and a wimp doomed my entire colony

Started by Third_Of_Five, September 05, 2018, 06:57:27 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Third_Of_Five

I will relay to you the epic story I told on discord, about how my colony died in the most epicly infuriating way possible.

So a bit of backstory: I had spent the entire winter gearing up for a raid against a savage tribe that had been harassing me for the entire game. They had a settlement nearby and I wanted to burn it to the ground. Long story short the raid failed horribly and I lost 2/3 of my colonists. Attached is a screenshot of my colony before the raid.

Only three of my original 9 colonists were now left.

So anyway, shortly after, one of my colonists breaks and goes berserk; because he's sad that so many colonists died. Ironic I know. Cuz fuck logic, I mean if 6 of your friends are already dead might as well kill the rest of them, right? So he ends up killing one of my colonists and severely wounding the other. Then his dumb ass decides to melee attack a mufallo, which gets him knocked out. This triggers the 'man in black' event.

I'm SUPER pissed at this point, but at least I'm glad the man in black saved my colony.

My favorite colonist is dead, murdered by the berserk colonist, man in black saved the others. food is getting low and it's the middle of winter.

I really hate the one pawn who went berserk, I had him arrested and I wanted to execute him for his crimes.

But I know I can't kill him because I need him to help out and gather food.

So I make a really, REALLY stupid decision.

I know that there's an ancient danger next to my base with cryopods.

I need more people desperately, because I know I'm one raid away from being completely fucked (I'm playing on permadeath)

I figure I could open those cryopods and capture the occupants for recruitment. I just had to hope that there wasn't too much trouble in there, maybe just a small insect hive.

So I arm my three remaining colonists and open it up.

Big mistake.

Six.

Fucking.

MECHANOIDS

Luckily I got EMP grenades but it only holds them off for so long.

My colonists fought valiantly and managed to take down three of the six (which is impressive) but in the end two of my colonists were taken down with no hope of recovery.
I make the last remaining one bolt back towards the base.

This is the moment when I learned the hard way that psychic weapons don't work on mechanoids. My psychic lance is useless.

The mechanoids start wrecking my base and there's nothing I can do, but then I see my chance and I have the colonist book it back to the cryosleep room. On the floor in that room there's marine armor that I make him equip as fast as he can. I should have just made him run off the map and settle somewhere else but I was just too zoned in to the moment at the time.

JUST as he gets on the marine armor, a mechanoid walks in.

I order him to fire but it's too late. They get into a melee fight.

He loses the melee.

But it seemed too quick. There was no bloodshed. So i check the downed colonists health, then his bio...

HES A FUCKING WIMP

Two bruises and hes down crying like a little bitch.

Then, as my last colonist is laying there crying, a caravan arrives.

The caravan fights off the last of the mechanoids.

I thank the rimworld gods for their mercy.

Now I just need to wait for my wimpy colonist to get up.

Except, HE NEVER GETS UP

He fucking starves to death, ending my colony.

Three days of work, building this colony over the entire labor day weekend, is all doomed because the one guy who had just saved my colony was too much of a little bitch to get up and eat something.

Anyway that's my story.

[attachment deleted due to age]

Skryabin

You should name it:
Quote from: Third_Of_Five on September 05, 2018, 06:57:27 PM
a really, REALLY stupid decision
doomed my entire colony. 8)

Anyway very cool story! 

colotroco

This game... hahaha

I recall one of my last games... I got a deal call, 15 pants, easy peasy, in exchange for something really good in comparison.

I had all them made properly and stored in a nice stone wall warehouse.

I had this kid, always breaking into tears for anything, almost useless colonist except he can haul... then I decide to send him to carry all the 15 pants...

Suddenly, in the pants room, while he was packing the caravan, he breaks, and he starts fires everywhere... inside the room. All pants start burning as fast as light can cross the space... he falls and starts burning himself too. My other pawns start trying to extinguish the fire but... it's too hot. so many died, they couldnt even get out the room they were trying to save... They went into a life hell, they never came back.

Fucking pants deal