[WIP] The capital - A special faction mod

Started by cudelo, September 06, 2018, 02:44:25 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

cudelo

The Capital

What is The Capital mod?

The capital is a large metropolis (for the Rim's standards) comprised of several districts which each have different tiles with different specialties. It is meant as a mid to late game challenge for the player and as a great way for them to unleash the might of their powerful colony. The Capital is meant to be a formidable adversary that wields technologies that no one else has on this rim world. From the mid game the player may start encountering some of these war assets and may even be able to capture them for their own benefits.

The capital will have its own AI and trackers to enable it to react to world events and trigger a late game crisis that the player may have to deal with. The capital will also react to the player's action through gossiping. Be careful what you let you visitor see, make sure your colonists don't get captured and hide those weapons of mass destruction in a deep cave because the capital is always listening and always watching.

Speaking of weapons, the capital will seek to remain the sole wielder of its air vehicle, biological weapons and yes even nuclear weapons. The capital also seeks to keep other factions from benefiting from nuclear and fossil energy so you better have a plan ready before you build that Rimatomics reactor or start pumping that oil!

On top of adding capturable air and ground vehicles and weapons of mass destruction. The capital mod will also include low tech ways of dealing with the capital such as AA guns, diplomatic options, strategical options such as direct assaults or indirect assaults on its infrastructure. You will have to find and capture pilots for your new mechanized assets and scientists to maintain and launch those shiny WMDs.

Everything the capital adds is meant to be hard, challenging and rewarding. This mods is for the experienced player looking for a new way to punish and challenge their colony.

What is the state of development?

I'm not dedicating a huge amount of time to this mod since I'm programming 8 hours per day for work. I only put in time when I feel like it but here is the progress I've done so far:

Done

• Adds a special powerful faction in the map
  • Adds a massive city to the world map
  • Adds roads and tiles of to the world map
In development

• Adds air vehicles that the capital uses to dominate the planet
  • Local maps for each tile type that the player can attack

Planned

• A tracker that takes in account what ressources the capital has to derive its power
  • Adds special weapons (WMDs, Mechanized units)
  • A way for the capital to subjugate nearby settlements
  • Interactions with the player's settlement (Inspections, atrocities, occupation, artillery attacks, diplomacy)
  • Reacts to world event (May start expanding, may start attacking settlements, may start trying to wipe out a faction)
  • Discovery system for the Capital assets (Hide the power plants and other key infrastructures from the player)
  • A custom interaction dialog for advanced faction interactions

How can I help?
I'm a professional programmer which means I can handle the code but I'm in dire need of artists, writers, play testers. That said if coding is your specialty, there is a lot of work to do and your help would be most welcome :D !

Here is a list of things I would appreciate help with:

• Artwork for the new units
  • Artwork for the new weapons
  • Sounds for the new units
  • Map designs for the different tiles
  • Story and lore elements
  • Dialog ideas for the diplomatic menu
  • Quest ideas

This mod is open source and you can contribute and follow its development on github!

Github Link

rawrfisher

Definetly gonna give this a shot.  Expect to see me alot in here likly with poorly formatted bug reports :P

File version unknown:  Took a second to find it in my modlist

Still trying but having issues getting the mod to show any sign of being active.  Likly just me failing lol
Professional jerk
Want something broken let me know

cudelo

I'm waiting until I have at least one event implemented or the local map generation part tackled before putting out a test release but if you want to enjoy the cosmetic aspect of having a huge capital on your world map that part is ready to test  ;D

rawrfisher

Quote from: cudelo on September 06, 2018, 03:13:09 PM
I'm waiting until I have at least one event implemented or the local map generation part tackled before putting out a test release but if you want to enjoy the cosmetic aspect of having a huge capital on your world map that part is ready to test  ;D

I'm also play testing other big mods too but cant get the mod to register even the astetics
ugh... seems adding your mod triggered an annoying bug.  Gonna have to see what faction I can drop to try fixing it.  Its something to do with limitations on map gen and with like 20 factions already it wont spawn the capital let alone any of the faction bases aside from 1 base per faction
Professional jerk

cudelo

Yea I'm not sure the assemblies in the master branch are fully functional as I'm working on a feature branch which is under heavy development. I'll put out a test release that I know works for sure when I get home from work in a few hours :) Thanks a lot by the way.

rawrfisher

Quote from: cudelo on September 06, 2018, 03:24:02 PM
Yea I'm not sure the assemblies in the master branch are fully functional as I'm working on a feature branch which is under heavy development. I'll put out a test release that I know works for sure when I get home from work in a few hours :) Thanks a lot by the way.
No problem just wish this paid for food lol
Tho what can I say it gives me a way to bug people while messing around lol

Oh do you have any plans for mechs or possible upgrades for vanilla mechs?  If so I can test compatibility with one of the other mods that would affect them
Professional jerk

cudelo

QuoteOh do you have any plans for mechs or possible upgrades for vanilla mechs?  If so I can test compatibility with one of the other mods that would affect them

No, I'm currently working on forking over the whole pawn logic into a new class hierarchy so that my vehicles don't have the same limitations as other vehicles mods. That said this part is very far from being ready as it is the current focus of development.

QuoteNo problem just wish this paid for food lol
Lol you and me both :)

rawrfisher

If I had an actual job and not a bunch of bills I could easily see myself paying somone to do rimworld mods
Professional jerk

Roolo

This looks really promising and ambitious. Good luck with the development!

rawrfisher

Quote from: Roolo on September 07, 2018, 04:28:34 AM
This looks really promising and ambitious. Good luck with the development!
I'll be helping with bug testing and you know my record there
Professional jerk

cudelo

rawrfisher

Quote from: cudelo on September 07, 2018, 04:48:28 PM
Hey, sorry for the delay but here is a bundle that should work.

https://github.com/oleduc/TheCapital/releases/tag/0.0.1

It works fine now.  Well least far as the ascetics anyway
Professional jerk

Bunkier

I can try to make some art for ya, just dm me on discord sma342

rawrfisher

Exception filling window for TheCapital.Dialogs.Dialog_DebugTool: System.NullReferenceException: Object reference not set to an instance of an object
at RimWorld.AutoHomeAreaMaker.Notify_BuildingSpawned (Verse.Thing) <0x00034>
at Verse.Building.SpawnSetup (Verse.Map,bool) <0x003a4>
at (wrapper dynamic-method) Verse.GenSpawn.Spawn_Patch2 (Verse.Thing,Verse.IntVec3,Verse.Map,Verse.Rot4,Verse.WipeMode,bool) <0x00c0a>
at Verse.GenSpawn.Spawn (Verse.Thing,Verse.IntVec3,Verse.Map,Verse.WipeMode) <0x00069>
at TheCapital.Dialogs.Dialog_DebugTool/<>c.<DoListingItems_Map>b__1_0 () <0x000af>
at Verse.Dialog_DebugOptionLister.DebugAction (string,System.Action) <0x0014b>
at TheCapital.Dialogs.Dialog_DebugTool.DoListingItems_Map () <0x000db>
at TheCapital.Dialogs.Dialog_DebugTool.DoListingItems () <0x000be>
at Verse.Dialog_OptionLister.DoWindowContents (UnityEngine.Rect) <0x004e3>
at Verse.Window/<WindowOnGUI>c__AnonStorey0.<>m__0 (int) <0x00882>

Verse.Log:Error(String, Boolean)
Verse.<WindowOnGUI>c__AnonStorey0:<>m__0(Int32)
UnityEngine.GUI:CallWindowDelegate(WindowFunction, Int32, Int32, GUISkin, Int32, Single, Single, GUIStyle)

Mouse position stack is not empty. There were more calls to BeginScrollView than EndScrollView. Fixing.
Verse.Log:Error(String, Boolean)
Verse.Widgets:EnsureMousePositionStackEmpty()
Verse.Root:Update_Patch1(Object)
Verse.Root_Play:Update()

Just gonna add in the mouse stack thing too.

Gonna assume your aware of this but i was just curious about the little I icon in dev mode so I clicked
Professional jerk

cudelo

Just gonna add in the mouse stack thing too.

Gonna assume your aware of this but i was just curious about the little I icon in dev mode so I clicked
Hey! Actually no it works fine for me and should display a tool to spawn a placeholder helicopter when you're on a local map and nothing with you're on the world map or menus.

Were you viewing your local colony map, world map or in menus when it happened? Did you have another window opened? I'm using a Harmony patch to hook into the debug menu so perhaps there is a conflict with other mods.