[WIP] The capital - A special faction mod

Started by cudelo, September 06, 2018, 02:44:25 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

rawrfisher

Quote from: cudelo on September 07, 2018, 08:49:20 PM
Just gonna add in the mouse stack thing too.

Gonna assume your aware of this but i was just curious about the little I icon in dev mode so I clicked
Hey! Actually no it works fine for me and should display a tool to spawn a placeholder helicopterwhen you're on a local map and nothing with you're on the world map or menus.

Were you viewing your local colony map, world map or in menus when it happened? Did you have another window opened? I'm using a Harmony patch to hook into the debug menu so perhaps there is a conflict with other mods.
I'll try in each of those cases but I've seen similer errors before reguarding load order

Local map nothing selected throws error
Local map with windows open throws error
World map has no options
Professional jerk
Want something broken let me know

cudelo

Quote from: rawrfisher on September 07, 2018, 09:00:43 PM
Quote from: cudelo on September 07, 2018, 08:49:20 PM
Just gonna add in the mouse stack thing too.

Gonna assume your aware of this but i was just curious about the little I icon in dev mode so I clicked
Hey! Actually no it works fine for me and should display a tool to spawn a placeholder helicopterwhen you're on a local map and nothing with you're on the world map or menus.

Were you viewing your local colony map, world map or in menus when it happened? Did you have another window opened? I'm using a Harmony patch to hook into the debug menu so perhaps there is a conflict with other mods.
I'll try in each of those cases but I've seen similer errors before reguarding load order

Local map nothing selected throws error
Local map with windows open throws error
World map has no options

Thank you very much for your report! I pushed a fix.
https://github.com/oleduc/TheCapital/releases/tag/0.0.2

Please note that the start button does not yet work and should cause an error in your debug window :)

rawrfisher

I'll give it a shot.  Hows progress on the current part going?

Oh right I get e mail notices of replies on here and often reply soon as I get the message

I just had to try attacking the capital with a random caravan and your console message is funny
Professional jerk

Albion

This project looks very interesting. I hope you'll continue to work on this as I think it is rather large in scope. Maybe focus on a minimal viable product and expand from there.

As a programmer myself I'm very curious about your plans and implementation of capturable air and ground vehicles. Creating those properly and better than previous mods might require quite a lot of coding and code quality.
If you are on discord I would happily chat with you or even help you with that aspect of the mod.

rawrfisher

I would love to see you handle the events for this mod albion
Professional jerk

cudelo

Quote from: Albion on September 10, 2018, 09:10:53 AM
This project looks very interesting. I hope you'll continue to work on this as I think it is rather large in scope. Maybe focus on a minimal viable product and expand from there.
Hey, thank you for the kind words! Yes I'm aware that this project is very large in scope but initially I had another developer in my team which allowed us to dream big but even though he is no longer involved I'd still really like to deliver at least a basic version of this mod in the coming months.

As it stands the minimum set of feature that I envision for the first release are the following:

• World map gen (Done)
  • Helicopter event (WIP)
  • Local mapgen for city tiles with capturable vehicles (WIP)

The more complex events, diplomacy, WMDs and gossips are planned for after the first release.

As a programmer myself I'm very curious about your plans and implementation of capturable air and ground vehicles. Creating those properly and better than previous mods might require quite a lot of coding and code quality.

As it stands, its pretty easy to make capturable vehicles. I made it so vehicles have two states. Parked vehicles are regular buildings (which already have a claim feature)  and moving vehicles are a new subclass of Thing that are not based on Pawns that I call Actors.

The issue with most mods is that vehicles are implemented on top of the Pawn class and just have vehicles components tacked on top (such as with JecsTools based vehicles). I'm circumventing those limitations by forking over all the Pawn logic and simplifying it greatly by stripping out all the Pawn specific code. This way it will be possible to create entities that can path over walls or use custom pathing and AI.

You can follow my progress on this part of the mod here.
I'm also planning on shipping the Actor code as a library if it works well for my mod.

QuoteIf you are on discord I would happily chat with you or even help you with that aspect of the mod.
I'll on hop on the discord this evening then! Your help would be most welcomed :D

Albion

Well I too believe that simply strapping some comps on top of the pawn class is not the way to go but creating your own set of classes also requires a lot of work and additionally a lot of updating once the new/final Rimworld version hits.

I would be happy to help though. I wanted to create vehicles for a long time but never looked into it too closely. Just send me a text. I'm Albion#0905

Roolo

I'm looking forward to see how your attempt on vehicles will work out. Just a suggestion: it would be really cool if you develop all the vehicle code in a separate dll. This way, you can release a separate mod with all the vehicle code, that could function as a framework which other modders can use for creating vehicles.

NecroCharge

I've been hoping for something like this for a long time. Thank you OP!

Dragoon

Quote from: faltonico
I truly can't understand that sense of balancing a LOT of modders have, pouring more resources on something doesn't make it more difficult, but more annoying. It is not engaging, even if i'm swimming in silver at late game ¿why to bother?, why all the effort to get there?.

Albion

@rawrfisher: I won't be handling the events of this mod but I would certainly be available for consulting on them 8)

@Roolo: cudelo and me talked a bit yesterday and we decided to collaborate on the vehicles part of this mod. The goal right now is to deliver a new framework to use for xml-modders so they can simply leverage the framework and create their own kind of tanks, pickups, busses, trucks and helicopters.
Additionally we plan to release a library the vehicle framework is based on, which is extendable to create all new kinds of cool stuff like special monsters or ships or stuff like that.
Creating this kind of framework will take quite a long time though, especially since he both work full-time and are only able to dedicate what free time we have to this project. It'll probably take weeks if not months to finish this. We hope to get a working prototype or proof of concept soon.

rawrfisher

Oh ok.

Just figured division of labor to speed up production.  I'm waiting for somthing to test involving attacking the capital and maybe multiple capitals spawning on the map with an occasional expansion of said capitals.  Kinda bored with almost nothing to test.
Professional jerk

PM_ME_NAKED_SINGULARITIES

I'm starting to get into programming mods for rimworld. I'd love to help out. But Any advice on where I can go to practice and understand more about how to mod this game would be awesome. Currently I stuck on figuring out how to use and decompile .dll files. Once I get that down I think I might actually be able to help out a bit lol. I'd love to help reach the ambitious goals of this project!

Roolo

Quote from: Albion on September 13, 2018, 02:37:54 PM
@rawrfisher: I won't be handling the events of this mod but I would certainly be available for consulting on them 8)

@Roolo: cudelo and me talked a bit yesterday and we decided to collaborate on the vehicles part of this mod. The goal right now is to deliver a new framework to use for xml-modders so they can simply leverage the framework and create their own kind of tanks, pickups, busses, trucks and helicopters.
Additionally we plan to release a library the vehicle framework is based on, which is extendable to create all new kinds of cool stuff like special monsters or ships or stuff like that.
Creating this kind of framework will take quite a long time though, especially since he both work full-time and are only able to dedicate what free time we have to this project. It'll probably take weeks if not months to finish this. We hope to get a working prototype or proof of concept soon.

Awesome! I wish I had time to help out as well but my other mods will consume wathever time I have available modding for the coming time.

rawrfisher

Roolo do you need anything else raked over the coals?

I'm bored....
Professional jerk