Naked brutality challenges and solutions

Started by FleeingFinn, September 07, 2018, 04:39:02 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

FleeingFinn

When you start solo naked with nothing it seems to me there are cases where death can not be avoided, but maybe it can be made very unlikely

- Plague and other fatal decease
-> Not really much else to do than roll a good med skill and get herbs asap?
- Food poisoning. Not deadly itself, but combine this with a raid and your guy can go down after one hit
-> If we are forced to roll a good med skill we shouldnt roll too many other skills if they are not necessary, so I dont wanna just roll a high cooking. If we store raw food berries/rice/corn really well, the food poisoning chance is very low eating that raw food, if I understand correctly?

Blato

I noticed in my naked brutality run that you actually start with the tech for NPD, so rolling for construction and medicine instead of cooking is a very viable solution.
If you plan on sticking with one or two pawns for longer (not recruiting any pawn that comes across), the fast-learner trait is a good one to shoot for, it's makes it as if the pawn has passion for everything, very usefull.
If your plant skill is low as well as cooking, rice and NPD are your friends

Kirby23590

Indeed the NPD Aka the Nutrient Paste Dispenser is your friend. In this along with the Rich Explorer if you have a bad cooker or two bad cooks.

You're still at the mercy of Randy Random's hands & dice rolls though.

One "happy family" in the rims...
Custom font made by Marnador.

FleeingFinn

Nutrient Paste, of course, didn't think of that because I've only once built it to see how it works.

FleeingFinn

BLACK_FR

Quote from: FleeingFinn on September 07, 2018, 04:39:02 AM
When you start solo naked with nothing it seems to me there are cases where death can not be avoided, but maybe it can be made very unlikely

- Plague and other fatal decease
-> Not really much else to do than roll a good med skill and get herbs asap?
- Food poisoning. Not deadly itself, but combine this with a raid and your guy can go down after one hit
-> If we are forced to roll a good med skill we shouldnt roll too many other skills if they are not necessary, so I dont wanna just roll a high cooking. If we store raw food berries/rice/corn really well, the food poisoning chance is very low eating that raw food, if I understand correctly?

For diseases - some notes from my guide to naked brutality:
1. Gather herbal medicine beforehand.
2. Get some real meds (some times you have some silver before disease and random visitor have ~4 meds for sell).
3. Train your med skills (get prisoner and start to gain 4k xp in doctoring every day; for that you have to gather even more herbal meds.
4. Make some pemmican to not worry about making food while disease is going.
5. Wooden beds is usually second thing I research after complex clothing. If you are in warm biome it can be first.
6. I research drug table before electricity and first thing after that is penoxycyline. And after that all my pawns are under it effect all the time.
7. If you get that disease before penoxycyline - than you just go 99% time in the bed (get up only to eat because hunger slows immunity gain), using best meds (better meds first because you have better manipulation) and hope for the best.
With all those precautions I still die sometime, but most of the time I can recover. And than I get penoxycyline and that problem is basically solved.

For food poisoning. NPD is not an option for tribals. But you should not fight anyway. Just keep wealth low and always have 2 steel traps. When raid starts open door and put 2 traps on the 2 sides. That way even if 1 guy is poisoned you are good to fight.
Also train your cook by making pemmican (it's needed anyway).
Also you can start without med skill. Just gather/grow herbals, get prisoner and then you can get max xp a day buy making 2 operations a day.
Guide to mastery of the game - https://ludeon.com/forums/index.php?topic=46290
If you have idea how make merciless naked brutality run more challenging and fun - tell me

vzoxz0

I think a lot of people would appreciate a "naked semi-brutality"-mode.

5thHorseman

Quote from: vzoxz0 on September 07, 2018, 03:51:18 PM
I think a lot of people would appreciate a "naked semi-brutality"-mode.

I would, if it would stop them from nerfing my favorite mode to make it easier :D
Toolboxifier - Soil Clarifier
I never got how pawns in the game could have such insanely bad reactions to such mundane things.
Then I came to the forums.

vzoxz0

If you're using mods, you're already nerfing it.

5thHorseman

Quote from: vzoxz0 on September 07, 2018, 06:27:14 PM
If you're using mods, you're already nerfing it.

Not if those mods make it harder. And not even if they don't make it easier or harder but just modify the UI. Or even modify the game experience itself without appreciably affecting difficulty.
Toolboxifier - Soil Clarifier
I never got how pawns in the game could have such insanely bad reactions to such mundane things.
Then I came to the forums.