Experiencing stuttering at 9 colonists

Started by vzoxz0, September 07, 2018, 01:19:03 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

vzoxz0

Version 0.19.2009 (64-bit)
Running two mods, EdB Prepare Carefully and Mad Skills.

PC Specifications:
Mobile i7-8750H hexacore with 2.2 ghz up to 4.1 ghz (usually running at around 4 ghz).
Nvidia GTX 1050TI
16 GB of ram
NVMe SSD

Recently I started experiencing stuttering in a game where (up to that point) I had experienced none. It doesn't appear the game is using any serious quantity of processing power, RAM, or GPU. The behaviour is "regular" stuttering at roughly one second intervals, where it does not matter what I am doing.

I noticed this behaviour starting at the return of one of my colonists from a trading trip, when there was a total of 9 people in my colony (I only have one). Map size is within normal specifications (it may be the larger of the two "normal" map sizes, I don't recall and am unsure how to check it). Development mode does not yield any errors.

Has anyone else had similar problems? I don't think it's my specifications, as I've run similar colonies on a much less powerful computer. Thoughts on how to reduce this annoying stuttering?

Edit:

One of my colonists died in a raid and the stuttering intensity decreased, the frequency seems the same.

Edit 2:

Nevermind, it went back to the usual annoying intensity.

spyderwebsc

I have a somewhat similar problem as mine stutters when you scroll the map. This starts to happen when I have 6-9 pawns and the majority of them are idle. I have noticed that the framerate drops from a steady 60 fps to 55-58 fps when the stutter occurs.

I have found that it helps to split them into a nightshift and a dayshift. Also check to make sure you don't have a pawn trapped somewhere (ie. he walled himself in and can't get out.)

I didn't have this problem with A17 or B18 nor does this happen when I play my other games (Cities Skylines, X3 terran conflict, X3 Albion Prelude, Banished, etc.)

Version 0.19.2009 (64-bit)
AMD FX-8350 Eight-Core @4.1 GHz
Samsung SSD 860 EVO 250GB
NVIDIA GeForce GTX 950
16gb of ram

vzoxz0

I don't have this kind of stuttering playing PUBG :P Something is up :P

5thHorseman

Are you playing on a larger than standard map or have a lot of mountains to path around? I notice that stuttering goes up as pawns need to path further. Also, looking everywhere for ingredients for things like stonecutting or smelting could do it, as could any mods that check the map for things (Like the otherwise wonderful Colony Manager mod)
Toolboxifier - Soil Clarifier
I never got how pawns in the game could have such insanely bad reactions to such mundane things.
Then I came to the forums.

vzoxz0

Map size is between "default" and "one step above default", not sure which this run is on. I have a wall surrounding my colony, but that shouldn't affect anything to this extent.

Tynan

If you could post your savegame we can run it and profile where the performance is going.
Tynan Sylvester - @TynanSylvester - Tynan's Blog

vzoxz0

My colony had a, uh, "setback" and it's on permadeath. I'll post it once I'm back up a colonist or two and experiencing the stutters more obviously. At 7 it's not as painful though still apparent.

Edit:

I seem to have found a strange bug where a colonist dying in a caravan counts as banishment. I don't recall "banishing someone to death" in my entire playthrough...

vzoxz0

The stuttering in this save occurs even with fewer colonists. Again it started up roughly when a trading colonist came back (with a couple of animals).

The size of savegames increases quite a bit over time. I barely even got this one zipped up for forum specifications.

[attachment deleted due to age]

henk

This happened to me as well. I had 7 or 8 colonists on a mountain base and the stutter was tied to the game speed. It would constantly skip at after a set amount of game time passed. It didn't matter what speed I was on, the stutter would just speed up or slow down depending on the ratio. I restarted the game and it did nothing but eventually just fixed itself after around a day passed in game. This happened twice on my current colony.

vzoxz0

I have a suspicion it's due to very large XML files that are being read from or written to regularly. My save is 12 MB unpacked. Maybe there's some kind of cleanup that occurs every few days that sorts it out?