[1.0.2059] Insect aggro across the map, suggested solution

Started by SirSourPuss, November 13, 2018, 02:28:00 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

SirSourPuss

I realize that the problem has already been described in older posts (https://ludeon.com/forums/index.php?topic=36552.msg374803 and https://ludeon.com/forums/index.php?topic=38219.msg391791), but my situation was a little different and I wish to make a constructive suggestion that can at least alleviate the problem a little

Context:
I started a Naked Brutality game (start with 1 colonist, naked) with extra role-playing rules imposed on myself - basically as long as my original colonist lives I continue playing, no matter how dire the situation. At one point I had an insect infestation that got out of hand and destroyed my base, but I managed to save 3 colonists (with my original one included) so I had to try and salvage the situation somehow. My plan was classic - to wall off the entire insect infested zone and to smoke them out by setting wooden furniture on fire, except that some insects were roaming outside so I would've had to spend at least a few seasons reclaiming my land.

What happened:
I've started setting up a secondary base at the other end of the map (275x275) when a trade caravan decided to make a visit. They aggroed the insects, and half of the insects roaming on the map decided to run across the map for my remaining colonists in my secondary base instead of focusing on the caravan just because my colonists were closer than the caravan (still really far away). Needless to say, I didn't make it.

What I expected to happen:
Not this.

Discussion
I understand that the cases described in the threads I linked are WAD, but:

1. My case shows a little better how absurd the current mechanic is. There was no way for the insects to know where my colonists are even if they had a telepathic connection added to their creature description.

2. I have several suggestions as to how to replace this mechanic:
- First of all the insect info tabs should include telepathic communication so that newer players know what to expect. A little bit of text could alleviate a lot of pain
- The insects should have a range for their telepathic abilities, say 8 tiles. Any insect that gets hurt sends a telepathic 'help me out here' signal to its buddies within this range, triggering a secondary aggro. Insects outside this range do not get secondary aggro.
- The insects should have a range for detecting colony owned entities, say 25-35 tiles. When damaged by a roof collapse, a caravan or an animal, the insects should only seek out colony-owned targets for revenge within this range from the damage event.

Implementing all of these features would help prevent cases like mine. It would also allow players to have a realistic, immersive and non-exploity tactic of handling insects by gradually killing off smaller groups. This would also be particularly helpful with the individual insects that get stuck inside your colony after ravaging it (there's always one) - the colonists could safely kill that insect off without having the whole hive come out of the mines and destroy the colony again.