[1.3] [KV] Consolidated Traits [ModSync RW]

Started by Kiame, September 09, 2018, 12:10:59 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

Kiame

I've updated this mod to work with B19. I have tried to contact Rainbeau (dburgdorf) but received no response. For now I will be supporting this mod. Rainbeau if at any time you'd like me to take this down let me know and I will  :)

When I started looking for a mod to add more traits to the game, I quickly realized three things about the various trait collection mods that are available: they all have some traits I really like, but also some I dislike, and none of them had all the traits I wanted; they don't necessarily work very well together due to conceptual overlaps or conflicts; and some of them are buggy in one way or another.

So I decided to deal with the problem by... releasing yet another trait collection mod. *Shrug* What can I say? This one, at least, has the traits I like, all the traits I like, and nothing but the traits I like. And I'm reasonably certain it's bug-free.

"Consolidated Traits" adds 45 traits to the game, almost doubling the number of traits available for pawns. The new traits are:
- "Aesthete": Pawns with this trait love beautiful things, and care a lot about the beauty of their environment.
- "Animal Hater": Some pawns just aren't "animal people."
- "Animal Lover": Pawns with this trait, as you'd expect, are especially good at dealing with animals.
- "Builder": Pawns with this trait are good at constructing things, at least if they have instructions.
- "Butcher": Pawns with this trait are much faster when butchering animal corpses.
- "Claustrophobic": Pawns who don't like confined spaces make poor miners.
- "Cold Lover": Pawns with this trait will complain less when it's cold, but will whine more when it's hot.
- "Coordinated": This one provides a slight boost to global work speed and to most skilled labor.
- "Cranial Nerve Palsy"/"Eagle-Eyed": These traits affect primarily a pawn's shooting accuracy.
- "Deadshot": This provides a boost to both shooting speed and accuracy.
- "Decent Learner"/"Slow Learner": Join Fast learner to broaden the speed of pawn learning.
- "Deep Sleeper": Pawns with this trait won't be disturbed by others while sleeping.
- "Dunce": Pawns with this trait will learn at a slower rate.
- "Glutton": Pawns with this trait eat very quickly.
- "Gourmet": Pawns with this trait prepare excellent food, but take their time in doing so.
- "Heat Lover": This is the counterpoint to "Cold Lover."
- "Inept": This trait is the counterpoint to "Coordinated."
- "Inventor": Pawns with this trait are great researchers, but tend to be easily distracted.
- "Neat Freak": Pawns with this trait appreciate the importance of a dirt-free environment.
- "Nibbler": Pawns with this trait eat very slowly, picking at their food.
- "Nyctophobe"/"Nyctophile": These traits make pawns either more or less afraid of the dark than usual.
- "Perfectionist": Pawns with this trait try to make sure their work is done right, no matter how long it takes.
- "Poor Medic"/"Skilled Medic"/"Master Medic": These traits provide penalties or buffs to medical skills.
- "Rockhound": Pawns with this trait excel at mining and stonecutting, but are a bit slow at other tasks.
- "Savant": Pawns with this trait are creative geniuses, but terribly slow workers.
- "Sucker"/"Haggler"/"Master Trader": These traits affect prices when a pawn is trading.
- "Uncouth"/"Diplomat"/"Master Diplomat": These traits affect the success of a pawn's diplomatic efforts.
- "Unstoppable"/"Ironman"/"Low Pain Tolerance": These traits affect a pawn's pain tolerance.
- "Weak Constitution"/"Strong Constitution": These traits affect a pawn's resistance to pathogens and diseases.

Steam

Direct Download:

B19

GitHub

Compatibility:

"Consolidated Traits" should be compatible with most other mods. Even if those mods add similar traits, there shouldn't be any conflicts, as the traits are unlikely to have the same defNames. However, if you're using more than one mod that adds traits, you might end up seeing pawns with traits that don't really work well together, since the game won't have any way of knowing that trait X from mod Y duplicates or just isn't compatible with trait A from mod B.

I'd recommend using my "More Trait Slots" mod. Combining a larger pool of traits with a larger set of traits per pawn can add some very interesting and uniquely individual personalities to your game.

You should be able to add "Consolidated Traits" to an existing saved game without trouble, but removing the mod from a game in progress might cause problems if any pawns in the world have any of the mod's traits, which is of course very likely.

Credits:

Rainbeau Flambe (dburgdorf) - original author

Some of the traits added by this mod are original. But most of them are based on traits found in "Additional Traits," "Extended Traits," "L-Traits," and/or the base version of "Pawns Are Capable!"

utotuto for updating the trait descriptions for B19

utotuto

QuoteNAME
It is [PAWN_nameDef] now. There [PAWN_pronoun] also. So something like this
Quote<description>[PAWN_nameDef] is prone to extreme mood swings. When [PAWN_pronoun] happy, [PAWN_pronoun] can be very happy, but when [PAWN_pronoun] sad, [PAWN_pronoun] can become dangerously depressed.</description>
But im sure you know.

utotuto

Since Kiame is busy. There fix for declension of nouns.

[attachment deleted due to age]

Kiame

Thanks Utotuto. I've been elsewhere trying to get other mods up to speed and had this fix on the back burner. I'll get that incorporated

Kiame

Update:
I decided to go digging about why green thumb had been removed. My memory was incorrect!
I thought it was due to a change in the code but it was just because it was thought green thumb was OP.

Due to that I've gone ahead and added Green Thumb and Brown Thumb back with some slight adjustments. The gain/decrease to planting/harvest is now 15% instead of 20$ and they both will be applied to pawns slightly less frequently

bigheadzach

Question: when you do these updates, should we expect the downloads to be updated immediately or will there be an official announcement when the changes are in effect?

Canute

When Kiame post an update responce, the link at the first posting is updated and useable.
So just delete the old mod folder, download the mod  and unzip it into mods.

bigheadzach

Cool. I only ask because I usually check GitHub, and the project hasn't been updated for 11 days, suggesting nothing new had been committed.

Canute

That's Kiame tactic.
Github don't update the timestamp when the files just get replaced like Kiame does.

Kiame

Yeah in order to update github's timestamp i'd need to delete it, create a new release with a different tag, then update all the direct download links. To save my sanity i just delete the release's zip file and upload the new one. In the release's text field i will update the "Last Updated" and "ModSync RW Version"

Though looks like i forgot to commit/push the changes last night. I'll get the baseline in sync tonight. In the meantime make sure to download the the zip for the Release tab and not the repo itself

TheAtomicOption

Quote from: Kiame on September 09, 2018, 12:10:59 AM
- "Bipolar": Pawns with this trait will have more extreme mood swings than other pawns.
ills.

If you want this to be more accurate to real life, then instead of more extreme moods, have it make the pawn swing between needing less sleep+working faster (mania), and needing more sleep+working slower (depression). Bipolar is also known as manic depression.

Quote from: Kiame on September 09, 2018, 12:10:59 AM
- "Quick Learner": This trait is the counterpart to "Dunce."

- "Sluggish"/"Swift Reflexes": These traits affect a pawn's ability to dodge attacks.

Both of these are now in the base game as "Fast Learner" and "Nimble", so they aren't needed in the mod anymore.

Kiame

What i'll do is instead of removing them (which will cause errors in people's saves) is i will change the occurrence for those to 0. They'll still be available in Prepare Carefully but will never happen when a pawn is being generated randomly.

Kiame

Update:
Edited the commonality of Quick Learner and Sluggish/Swift Reflexes so they will not be included with randomly generated pawns. These traits will still be available via Prepare Carefully if desired.

JohnLG

Hey, thanks for keeping this mod going!  I appreciate the extra flavor and pawn possibilities it provides. 

PeterR

A lot of traits are nonsensical. Seems this mod is very rushed and not double checked.

Ironman trait +60% pain shock threshold, but default is 80% and it caps out at 99%, so it's basically just +19% instead of +60%.

Swift Reflexes +0.5% melee dodge chance and Sluggish -0.5%, when the vanilla trait is +15.0% melee dodge chance. Very underwhelming. Balance nowhere to be found.

Mod adds trait called tough, but there is already default vanilla trait named tough, why the duplicate name?

I didn't even look for these mistakes, just noticed them when creating a character, so I am sure there are many more. Sorry to say this, but the mod seems very rushed. Wouldn't recommend.