[MOD/FRAMEWORK] (Alpha 5) Base Mod v1.0

Started by ItchyFlea, July 04, 2014, 06:43:11 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

ItchyFlea

Base Mod v1.0

Description:
This mod is intended to improve compatibility between large mods that add common ores to the game, (Copper, Iron, Coal). It also adds a few other things, such as extending the thing category list for mod items/resources/etc and adding an ore trader for buying & selling the added ores. It also overrides the default map generator making the game add Copper, Iron and Coal to the generation.
There's no documentation yet. That will come later on.

List of XML additions:

• Copper Ore
  • Iron Ore
  • Coal
  • Copper Ingots
  • Iron Ingots
  • Steel Ingots
  • Ore Trader
  • Industrial Trader modification
  • Resource list modification
  • Multiple Biomes - Desert, Plains, Snow, Lava (Map Generator makers will have to add plant/animal support for the biomes.)
List of .DLL additions:

• MountainGenner v1.2 - Adds support for mapgen makers to specify where the edge mountain generates.
Mod Team:
Downloads:
Notes:

• This must be activated before any other mod that uses this framework!
  • To prevent breaking mods, future versions will not change any defnames. If defname changes are required, it will be mentioned in this section.
Changelog:
v1.0:
New everything.

[attachment deleted by admin: too old]
All my mods are licensed under a Attribution-NonCommercial-ShareAlike 4.0 International
Ask for permission before using in ModPacks

Click here for a list of the mods I've created

ItchyFlea

All my mods are licensed under a Attribution-NonCommercial-ShareAlike 4.0 International

JKTD1919

NOW to see if people actually use it. Hopefully.

If you're including map generation, does this mean BetterPower+ is incompatible with the Base Mod?
Os iusti meditabitur sapientian, et lingua eius loquetur iudicium. Venerit vir qui sufferit tentationem.

Jerethi50

Better power doesnt have mapgen files. it uses the default ones.

ItchyFlea

Quote from: JKTD1919 on July 05, 2014, 11:55:11 PM
NOW to see if people actually use it. Hopefully.

If you're including map generation, does this mean BetterPower+ is incompatible with the Base Mod?
My hope is that large mods, like BetterPower+, IndustrialRIM, etc, use this framework, so that they are all compatible with each other.

Celthric Aysen

i'l try to start using this on RimTECH :)
hopefully this mod will be used alot :)
My DeviantART|E-Vehicles|Flebe's  Channel
"♫"Every people that i see i will never understand"♪"

Cala13er

Quote from: ItchyFlea on July 06, 2014, 02:23:35 AM
My hope is that large mods, like BetterPower+, IndustrialRIM, etc, use this framework, so that they are all compatible with each other.

I do like the idea of this framework, however my mod now adds stuff to map gen that this base mod simply doesn't add, meaning my mod still alters map generation even if I tried to base it around this mod, so that probably eliminates the chances of Industrial Rim using this framework.

ItchyFlea

I'm trying to find a way to override the way the game currently reads the BaseMapGenerators.XML file, as that file really needs to be broken apart to improve compatibility. (If anybody already knows of a way to do this, please let me know.)

In the meantime, what does Industrial RIM add that this framework doesn't? If it's something that'll most likely be a common item I'll add it to the framework's map generator.

Jerethi50

Am I incorrect in noting that mapgen just makes a bunch of genstep calls from the assembley ? Couldent a custom assembly be written to fire off a script at the beginning of each game, that makes those same exact calls, as in couldent those big mods that add lots of things to the map at the start of the game just bypass using the mapgen def file all together and do it directly with a custom script in an assembly file ?

Cala13er

Quote from: ItchyFlea on July 06, 2014, 07:24:57 AM
I'm trying to find a way to override the way the game currently reads the BaseMapGenerators.XML file, as that file really needs to be broken apart to improve compatibility. (If anybody already knows of a way to do this, please let me know.)

In the meantime, what does Industrial RIM add that this framework doesn't? If it's something that'll most likely be a common item I'll add it to the framework's map generator.

It functions like Factorio coal, minable. So am not sure if you would still be interested in including it, it would mean mods that use base mods coal system would need some major balance updating, even I took a while to get a nice economy working around factorio like coal deposits

Evul

mrofa

Wonder if we could do a custom trader class with ability to just add items from few xmls and merge them together in one list
All i do is clutter all around.

ItchyFlea

Quote from: Cala13er on July 06, 2014, 09:34:17 AM

Is that coal for mining or collecting? If mining Base has coal deposits generating in the mountains. If collecting, that would be a better way than what the next update was going to include. (Would you be ok with having your code added to Base?)
Next update will have raw ore spawning randomly around the map, similar to how metal spawns.

Quote from: mrofa on July 06, 2014, 01:47:00 PM
Wonder if we could do a custom trader class with ability to just add items from few xmls and merge them together in one list
Will look into it.

Cala13er

I designed the coal deposits like the one in the picture to work like factorio's, obviously they don't contain thousands of coal, just 5.  But minable and spawn similar to it, so whether or not you want it un base mod is up to you.

superpirson

This is a fantastic and long overdue mod! Would you be ok with modders redistributing this with their mods, or would you rather have this as a separated  downoad?
specs: mid2009 MBP OSX 10.9.3 NVIDIA GeForce 9400M 256 MB