[MOD/FRAMEWORK] (Alpha 5) Base Mod v1.0

Started by ItchyFlea, July 04, 2014, 06:43:11 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Cala13er

Quote from: superpirson on July 07, 2014, 11:33:18 AM
This is a fantastic and long overdue mod! Would you be ok with modders redistributing this with their mods, or would you rather have this as a separated  downoad?

I'd stick to keeping it as a separate mod.

JKTD1919

Compromise would be adding it as a prerequisite in your description.
Os iusti meditabitur sapientian, et lingua eius loquetur iudicium. Venerit vir qui sufferit tentationem.

ItchyFlea

I'd recommend keeping it as a separate download. My intention is to make sure that new versions of Base don't break compatibility with mods that use older versions of the mod.
All my mods are licensed under a Attribution-NonCommercial-ShareAlike 4.0 International
Ask for permission before using in ModPacks

Click here for a list of the mods I've created

Kirid

I was thinking glass and wire.. I'd use them in my mod if others didnt add them already.
You can't rollerskate in a muffalo herd

JKTD1919

I don't think that necessarily counts, Kirid. Glass and wire can only do so many things. The craftability just isn't there. That's why it's not a compatibility problem per se, more than it is a someone-else-coded-this-into-their-mod-first problem.
Os iusti meditabitur sapientian, et lingua eius loquetur iudicium. Venerit vir qui sufferit tentationem.

Kirid

"someone-else-coded-this-into-their-mod-first" is kind of ridiculous..
Is this mod only intended to support making Industrial and BetterPower+ working together?
I thought it was a base of resources for all mods to use... Otherwise is should have another name.
I could make my own glass and wire resources so that creates a compatibily issue then you can add them.
I'm sure they could be used in alot more constructions if they weren't restricted to one mod.

Neither Industrial or BetterPower+ are updated so the mod is currently useless, other than to sell the ores to traders.

The vanilla mineral ore and this copper are very hard to tell apart for colorblind peoples just fyi.

Cala13er

Quote from: Kirid on July 10, 2014, 12:30:50 AM
"someone-else-coded-this-into-their-mod-first" is kind of ridiculous..
Is this mod only intended to support making Industrial and BetterPower+ working together?
I thought it was a base of resources for all mods to use... Otherwise is should have another name.
I could make my own glass and wire resources so that creates a compatibily issue then you can add them.
I'm sure they could be used in alot more constructions if they weren't restricted to one mod.

Neither Industrial or BetterPower+ are updated so the mod is currently useless, other than to sell the ores to traders.

The vanilla mineral ore and this copper are very hard to tell apart for colorblind peoples just fyi.

I won't be making my mod around this.

ItchyFlea

This is intended for all mods to use to help improve compatibility. Mainly by adding commonly added ores to map generation.
At this stage of RimWorld's development, the BaseMapGenerators.xml file is one of several points of conflict for mods. One of my goals with this was to find a way to break apart that file and get the game to piece together the map generation using several files, preferably one for each step. That way mod A could add copper, mod B could add coal, and when used together, the game would generate both on the map.

Unfortunately it looks like it's not going to be possible to do this. At least I haven't found a way to do it yet.
All my mods are licensed under a Attribution-NonCommercial-ShareAlike 4.0 International

Puch22

Any chance you could edit a trader so we can sell apparel/clothing? I would try but I don't understand modding :P
A life can be lived millions of ways, but each is unique and can only be chosen once.

superpirson

It's probably highly likely that with all the changes ty is makeing to the map gen, he may solve your ores problem for you.
Consequently, it may be wise to focus on other compatibility issues first.
specs: mid2009 MBP OSX 10.9.3 NVIDIA GeForce 9400M 256 MB

JKTD1919

ItchyFlea

Quote from: JKTD1919 on July 10, 2014, 09:08:42 PM
Why not, Cala13r?
Industrial RIM has features that simply aren't compatible with Base Mod. Cala13er would have to sacrifice those features for compatibility.

murlocdummy

Quote from: ItchyFlea on July 10, 2014, 11:31:07 PM
Quote from: JKTD1919 on July 10, 2014, 09:08:42 PM
Why not, Cala13r?
Industrial RIM has features that simply aren't compatible with Base Mod. Cala13er would have to sacrifice those features for compatibility.

You made a mod that's intended to make other mods compatible, and you want it to be something that people can use as a base to make things compatible?

That generally only works once, and you'll have to make a new mod every time others don't use your mod.  The only realistic option for making an all-use compatibility for the map gen is to make a .bat that runs a search for certain mineral terms and places them in the map gen file.

ItchyFlea

If you are making a mod and basing it off this, I want to let you know that I am not going to update this. I don't believe that this is going to be capable of doing what I had intended it to do, without limiting mod authors. :(

If anybody wishes to take over making and developing this, feel free to do so. :)

I am working on an application that will (hopefully) be capable of achieving what I wanted to achieve with this and more. I make no promises that this will see the light of day, as it's going to take a while before I made a thread about. I will show you this image though, to give you an idea of what I'm doing.

Kirid

Sorry if I kicked the hornet's nest >_< I enjoy seeing the modding projects that come out like this, even if they are just experiments and temp fixes.

Quote from: ItchyFlea on July 12, 2014, 01:30:28 AM
I am working on an application that will (hopefully) be capable of achieving what I wanted to achieve with this and more.
That looks so awesome!! I was just thinking about this the other day. Could make new modded stuff in seconds if you had the textures.