Science fiction books

Started by Kalesin, September 18, 2013, 05:57:29 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Kalesin

My first recommendation to read, especially with the issue of what promises to be a great game, it would be:

The Mars Trilogy, by Kim Stanley Robinson

http://www.amazon.es/Red-Mars-Trilogy-Stanley-Robinson/dp/0553560735

History of the colonization and terraforming of Mars, a trilogy more than recommended and that every lover of science fiction, especially for our Colonizer Chief, to give you ideas for your work.

Tynan

Hilariously enough, I actually read Red Mars as research for RimWorld when I read that the guys who made Alpha Centauri took inspiration from it.

I'm also totally into Alastair Reynolds' Revelation Space series.
Tynan Sylvester - @TynanSylvester - Tynan's Blog

Kalesin

Alpha Centauri, another great game, I knew that he was inspired by these books.

Unknown Alastair Reynolds books, thanks for the recommendation.

WolveNZ

This book is what I was brought up on, great book, Wonderful Illustrations and little storys, gotta be the most I ever read when I was just a Wee Lad!

But would highly recommended! takes from the perspective of a Historical document/Handbook for Spacecraft, featuring a Hypothetical timeline for major events as well!

Tynan

Quote from: WolveNZ on September 18, 2013, 08:10:29 PM

This book is what I was brought up on, great book, Wonderful Illustrations and little storys, gotta be the most I ever read when I was just a Wee Lad!

But would highly recommended! takes from the perspective of a Historical document/Handbook for Spacecraft, featuring a Hypothetical timeline for major events as well!

I would have gone insane over this as a kid. Maybe I still would.
Tynan Sylvester - @TynanSylvester - Tynan's Blog

WolveNZ

She is a great book, mine never had that fancy dust cover but just the plain dark blue hardcover!

Im sure anyone who has half a brain would go crazy over finding anything from the series!

Kalesin

Seeing the number of members in the forum (there are 55 registered), my question is?

When you have 100 registered, will have the title of "The First Hundred" (in the book Red Mars, named so for the first hundred colonists)  ;D

Yarkista

I have never read sci-fi books, any recommendation for a first read?

Kalesin

Quote from: Yarkista on September 19, 2013, 10:23:56 AM

The Mars trilogy, as we said, is more than recommended, especially because it's the same theme from the game (colonization)

Other great works of science fiction are Dune by Frank Herbert, and the Foundation trilogy by Isaac Asimov (Foundation, Foundation and Empire and Second Foundation).

Another great book would be Ender's Game by Orson Scott Card.

Yarkista

Quote from: Kalesin on September 19, 2013, 10:37:32 AM
Quote from: Yarkista on September 19, 2013, 10:23:56 AM

The Mars trilogy, as we said, is more than recommended, especially because it's the same theme from the game (colonization)

Other great works of science fiction are Dune by Frank Herbert, and the Foundation trilogy by Isaac Asimov (Foundation, Foundation and Empire and Second Foundation).

Another great book would be Ender's Game by Orson Scott Card.

Thanks for that, ill try and get 'em.

KarateKid

I would really like to recommend Ender's Game and the followup Speaker for the dead both by Orson Scott Card.
They are among if not the best sci-fi books I've read. That being said I do mostly read fantasy and not so much schi-fi.
Another good sci-fi book is Rendezvous with Rama https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Rendezvous_with_Rama
And I suggest reading them before the movie comes out this fall =)

Jakadasnake

For me, the Golden Compass series was amazing. It's hard to liken to emotional involvement I felt with those books to any others I've read. Such a unique series.

Semmy

libriomancer.

A really suprising book to me tbh.

does anyone know some good books comparible to for instance the fallout universe.
Or in the line of the writing of the warhammer 40K universe they got some awsome series. Ghaunt's ghosts for instance
The only thing necessary for the triumph of evil is for good men to do nothing.
Edmund Burke

Zorbane

Has anyone read Vernor Vinge's "A Deepness in the Sky" or "A fire in the deep"?  I highly recommend them

Haplo

I really do like the books of John Scalzi.
"Old Man's War", "Ghost Brigades" and do not forget the problems of a new colony in "The Last Colony" and the view of the teenage daughter in Zoe's Tale.
These three (four) books are about the same characters, but if you want, you can jump over the more military-like first books and read the colony book(s) separately.

The first book "Old Man's War" describes how a 75 year old gets into the space-military and what he did in his 10 years there.
"Ghost Brigades" is about a special military unit he met in the first book.
"The Last Colony" is about the time after his 10 years in the army.
"Zoe's Tale" is the story from "The Last Colony", only from the viewpoint of his adopted teenage daughter.

All in all I really love these books and have them read multiple times already.  ;D

Additionally:
In my youth I liked the series "Ren Dhark". But I can't really recommend the 'newly' released books. They dropped most of the interesting background of the earlier paperbacks, so that the books are rather boring..