Having some trouble with rectangle selection

Started by Chaz Serir, July 05, 2014, 11:29:00 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Chaz Serir

Hi there! I'm new to the forums and I'm new to RimWorld, and so I wanted to ask a question real quick about the game.

I'm having some trouble selecting multiple items at the start of the game, as the selection box seems to want to prioritize selecting my colonists over selecting the items they're near - in particular I want to un-forbid the items in the colonists' landing site, so they can add them to stockpiles as soon as possible. Is there any way to force my selection box to only select items and ignore colonists (Like holding down a button while I drag out my selection box), or do I just have to use an alternate method (Waiting until my colonists move out of the way before I try and select multiple items, for instance)?

It's a minor inconvenience at most, but it is slightly frustrating trying to select everything in the landing site and instead selecting all of my colonists!

vagineer1

Quote from: Chaz Serir on July 05, 2014, 11:29:00 PM
Hi there! I'm new to the forums and I'm new to RimWorld, and so I wanted to ask a question real quick about the game.

I'm having some trouble selecting multiple items at the start of the game, as the selection box seems to want to prioritize selecting my colonists over selecting the items they're near - in particular I want to un-forbid the items in the colonists' landing site, so they can add them to stockpiles as soon as possible. Is there any way to force my selection box to only select items and ignore colonists (Like holding down a button while I drag out my selection box), or do I just have to use an alternate method (Waiting until my colonists move out of the way before I try and select multiple items, for instance)?

It's a minor inconvenience at most, but it is slightly frustrating trying to select everything in the landing site and instead selecting all of my colonists!

Just double click on an item and it selects all of that item in the immediate area.
You see this tank?

This tank is the epitome of "I'm going to destroy you"

This tank can make Chuck norris cry.

All hail the Takemikazuchi.

Chaz Serir

Ah! That works too, thanks! I'd still love there to be sort of a "Hold down CTRL or ALT while dragging to ignore colonists and select only items" button, but I can post that up in the suggestions board later.

Thanks for the help!

vagineer1

Quote from: Chaz Serir on July 06, 2014, 11:35:15 AM
Ah! That works too, thanks! I'd still love there to be sort of a "Hold down CTRL or ALT while dragging to ignore colonists and select only items" button, but I can post that up in the suggestions board later.

Thanks for the help!

No problem, happy to help. Ask if there is anything else wrong and I'll try to help you.
You see this tank?

This tank is the epitome of "I'm going to destroy you"

This tank can make Chuck norris cry.

All hail the Takemikazuchi.

curi0

Sorry to bump this up, coz I want to ask a similar question: Is there any way to select multiple wall tiles (to deconstruct them) other than select a tile, hold SHIFT, select another tile, and so on? Maybe something like rectangle selection for walls?

Edit: Thanx a bunch Coenmcj, I don't even consider to look for the function in that submenu! XD

Coenmcj

Well, you're going about that the hard way. :)
Go into your Architect menu and then to the 'orders' submenu, select Deconstruct and drag across the area of walls you want removed, If you accidentally set something else for deconstruction you can just use the cancel tool in the same menu to drag across the bits you don't want removed.
Moderator on discord.gg/rimworld come join us! We don't bite