Power Information is Lacking - EVERYWHERE!!

Started by Engineer_Joe, September 09, 2018, 04:50:07 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Engineer_Joe

I'll preface this... I use the wiki all the time, and it is thorough and rarely lacks anything I need to know.

However, I point this out for the sake of making the game easier to play. I find the information/stats relating to power to be very lacking. The info tab tells me how flammable a wood fired generator is, and that it weighs 1.00 kg, but it doesn't tell me how many kWh it can produce... If I'm building a brand new wood fired generator, wouldn't it be highly useful for the information tab of the wood power generator to show me how much power it consumes? Or how much fuel it consumes per day?

Similar for any device that consumes power... Am I to just know how much power a heater uses prior to building it? How about a cooler, stove, or crematorium? The player should not have to build these items blind to their power requirements. If that logic extended to the rest of the game, then the player would know nothing about any item prior to using/building it.

I realize this suggestion is a bit more on the "polishing" side of game development. But this would be a quick and easy improvement that would greatly improve clarity for new players. Thanks for your consideration.

AileTheAlien

+1
Has been suggested before, although I don't remember where...

erdrik

+1
Im also interested in more detail in what power related information is available for built buildings.
I would love to see a power source display the total drain on the network and total power available. Currently it just shows the "excess" and total stored in batteries. Id rather not have to math my way through to find them.

StormGunner

I remember asking for the same thing in the pinned 'cheap ideas' thread, it only makes sense to support it here as well.
Players NEED to know how much power a facility is going to use before building it, as well as how much power a generator
will provide once built.

I definitely support this. +1
Having 5 pyromaniac colonists taught me the importance of not using carpets everywhere.

Limdood

agreed.  I hadn't used solar power a LOT since before it was changed. 

I just got to a certain point in a "random landing" game that dropped me in a boreal forest.  I decided i needed a greenhouse.  I started planning and building i while i was researching solar power.

Problem was neither solar generators nor sunlamps had any info on how much power they produced/drew, and here i was trying to figure out how many solar generators i needed on a no-battery, isolated circuit to power those sunlamps.

I have loved that each patch of the game makes information more and more accessible in game (big props for leather changes and hunter stealth/animal revenge info), but this is an important bit of information needed for anyone who hasn't memorized the power production and draw of every item in the game.

5thHorseman

Yes, yes, a specific and important number of times that I will not specify, YES!
Toolboxifier - Soil Clarifier
I never got how pawns in the game could have such insanely bad reactions to such mundane things.
Then I came to the forums.

scorlew

Uhhm, the OP was about the wiki.  Can't we fix that ourselves?
Send lawyers, guns and money. 
                           -WZ

5thHorseman

Quote from: scorlew on September 10, 2018, 02:59:22 PM
No, it's not. It's about how the Wiki isn't enough and the information should be in the game.
Toolboxifier - Soil Clarifier
I never got how pawns in the game could have such insanely bad reactions to such mundane things.
Then I came to the forums.

erdrik

Quote from: scorlew on September 10, 2018, 02:59:22 PM

Op stated he gets good info from the wiki, but made this suggestion specifically for "making the game easier to play".

Quote from: Engineer_Joe on September 09, 2018, 04:50:07 PM
... I point this out for the sake of making the game easier to play ... I find the information/stats relating to power to be very lacking. The info tab tells me how flammable a wood fired generator is, and that it weighs 1.00 kg, but it doesn't tell me how many kWh it can produce...

lancar

I've been wondering why the game never tells you this as well.
+1 from me
It really is one of the most important bits of information about a power-producer. That the game doesn't say in the tooltip is just plain weird.

vzoxz0

The worst thing is that you can't even see power requirements when you're building something. It's terrible.