Modding Module - What do you want to see out of it?

Started by Scelestic, November 01, 2013, 01:54:36 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Scelestic

One thing that has me interested is the modding module that'll be coming some time down the line. Personally I'm excited to get my hands on it and play around with the game- that said.. The extent of the capability of mods has yet to be really talked about (as far as I have found.. just started coming around the forums).

So! I'm curious as to what all of the modders would like to see out of the Modding Module. Also for those of you who are looking forward to using mods, what kind of mods do you want to see?

I'd like to see the ability to modify pawn behavior, and the ability to create new object types. So new room types, and resources could be created.

GC13

While I'm not a mod person myself, I think the test of any modding setup is the ability to make a zombie mod with it.

Or at least that's what I can gather. It seems to be the first mod any game gets, so it makes sense that they're testing its capabilities.

Zorbane

List of basic things I'd like to see (and expect)

• Weapons
  • Animals
  • Structures/Furniture
  • Professions
  • Graphics/Tileset
  • Events

Scelestic

Zombie Mod would be rather fantastic for Rimworld! Sounds like alot of fun actually..

Quote from: Zorbane on November 01, 2013, 04:21:37 PM
List of basic things I'd like to see (and expect)

• Weapons
  • Animals
  • Structures/Furniture
  • Professions
  • Graphics/Tileset
  • Events

All such things would be nice.

Although makes me curious that since Modding is packaged into its own Module.. Will Tynan not worry about it while working on other Modules, or will Modules be built with modding in mind?

DeltaV

The funny thing is, a zombie mod probably wouldn't be too impossible to make. You already have basic functionality of a group of enemies that spawns and attacks your base put in with raiders. Change some textures, give them abilities by 'equipping' them with weapons that 'spit' acid or cause explosions or whatever, hide all the character and thoughts menus and such, and there you go
Quote from: Douglas AdamsIt is a mistake to think you can solve any major problems just with potatoes.

todofwar

I think a robust environment editor would go the longest way. Modders could make snow, jungle, forest, etc. worlds that would each be subtly different. For example, the jungle would tons of vicious wildlife that deters raiders and traders but also causes problems for the colonists. Or the snow would make water plentiful but now heat is a valuable resource that needs to be rationed.

Scelestic

Quote from: DeltaV on November 01, 2013, 07:19:44 PM
The funny thing is, a zombie mod probably wouldn't be too impossible to make. You already have basic functionality of a group of enemies that spawns and attacks your base put in with raiders. Change some textures, give them abilities by 'equipping' them with weapons that 'spit' acid or cause explosions or whatever, hide all the character and thoughts menus and such, and there you go

True! I'd be interested in seeing a Mod that implemented a Zombie mod as a chance disease that one of your Colonists can catch from Radioactive Monkeys throwing their poop. That way the 'origin' is from within your own compound.

Yarkista

Eh, I dislike zombies but modders can do whatever they want I suppose.

Scelestic

Quote from: Yarkista on November 01, 2013, 07:57:20 PM
Eh, I dislike zombies but modders can do whatever they want I suppose.

That's fair. Zombies have gotten rather over-used, but.. the context of RimWorld and having to scrape by on an Alien World is ripe for all sorts of Zombie'esk Situations. If not straight up Zombie, Colonists could get infected with some strange alien disease or virus that makes them go crazy.

GC13

Yeah, what we really need is an Alien mod. Good old-fashioned Xenomorphs who move in and gestate in people's stomachs.

We'll really need a reason to have more sprawling, expansive buildings then. Where are the aliens going to lay their eggs? In the cafeteria?

Scelestic

Quote from: GC13 on November 01, 2013, 08:03:08 PM
Yeah, what we really need is an Alien mod. Good old-fashioned Xenomorphs who move in and gestate in people's stomachs.

We'll really need a reason to have more sprawling, expansive buildings then. Where are the aliens going to lay their eggs? In the cafeteria?

I could imagine Colonists would feel a bit sick after that when the chef in the cafeteria asks if they want their eggs sunny side up...