Rimworld's axis of rotation is tilted at ___

Started by Beeday, September 11, 2018, 09:06:14 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

Beeday

Performed a search, but didn't find anything even close to this, or I choose wrong words for search.

Please add for following betas/alphas a feature for player to be able to choose angle of Rimworld's axis of rotation (tilt).
As of now in reagard to climate and season changing Rimworld's axis tilt is set approximately as Earth's - about 23°. But in regard to realistic amount of light (day and night time) during seasons it is set to 0°. If player will be able to set angle at his choice (or make it randomizable) then there will be remarkable and fun possibilities! Two most obvious examples:
1. Angle set at 0° - no season changing. At equator temperature is approximately same hot/warm all year round. A little to north or south from equator climate will be little colder, and it will be constant - somewhat comfortable. Far to the north - cold climate, all year round, a lot less vegetation, but still enough to survive. A lot to the north or south - harsh and freezing world, with no chance of warming up due to season changing.
2. Angle set at 90° - each season is a dramatic change to life on planet. Summer - permanent day and most hot/warm climate (maybe to extremes - drying of water sources, burn of vegetation). Autumn/Spring - day and night time equals at middle of season - summer as seen on our earth - Sun goes at highest on sky, weather climate should be as on earth's warm places. Winter - permanent night, most cold temperature.

This will require some changes to the present state, as Rimworld have seasons but I cannot have permanent days or nights at north or south poles like on earth.

Oh, and thank you for this really wonderful game!

P.S. Another feature that was suggested several times already in the past, but I'd like to remind about - Vehicles - cars (pickups) or motorcycles for faster world traveling with more carrying capacity. This surely make possible for vagabond tribe play styles!  :)

AileTheAlien

I'd be happy if the length of day/night changed at the north or south poles. Solar panels are equally useful in the poles, as at the equator, and they shouldn't be. :S

Kubouch

I remember somebody saying his solar panels are useless on ice sheet since it's mostly dark half of the year. Haven't tried myself, though.

Actually, I was wondering the same about the axis tilt thing. It would be nice to customize how wildly the climate would change between seasons. It could be implemented as a multiplier for the current temperature values.

Third_Of_Five

Could this be done without breaking older save files though? It seems like such a convenient yet small feature that I don't think it would be worth having to start another game from scratch

Limdood

In A17, solar panels in the winter would be terrible at the poles, since the days were extremely short and the light level never reached 100%  (similarly, light during the summer was amazing, but batteries can't deal with an entire SEASON).

I haven't built any extreme northerly or southerly bases that use solar panels since then, so i can't comment on B18 and B19, but at least in A17, that somebody that Kubouch mentions was effectively right

AileTheAlien

If that's how solar panels act at the poles already, then I'm happy. I should test that out; I might be mis-remembering how they worked in my last arctic game. :)