Have you ever executed one of your colonists?

Started by Swarx, September 13, 2018, 03:36:36 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

vampiresoap

Quote from: henk on September 14, 2018, 03:58:31 PM
I'm about to. On a crashlanding scenario I started with three badass girls who are still alive. My first recruit was a male mute paramedic with the wimp trait named Stitch. He married one of the girls, divorced, married another one, and now is having an affair with the third.

Throughout the run he's been starting social fights with all three of them and had a break where he tried to murder his ex-wife. The next time I play I'm going to take him in the jungle hunting with all three girls and have them beat him to death.

LOL imagine in real life if he got them pregnant. You've got one hilarious story going on there.

scorlew

Yeah.  I have "finished off" downed raiders but the worst I've done to someone seeking refuge is to send them on a long, one-way caravan to nowhere with just enough food to get beyond bingo once I learned they were a pyro, chem dependent or some other trait with no skills that wasn't worth the hassle.

These aren't people and this is just a game.  However, comma, I do follow other ethical dicta that really shouldn't apply to a bunch of code-motivated pixels.  So much for logical consistency.  </self loathing>
Send lawyers, guns and money. 
                           -WZ

Scavenger

Quote from: bbqftw on September 13, 2018, 04:56:41 PM
I let bad refugees die, which is like 75% of them. Bonus points if they are ugly so the colony is happy.

That is also the hidden value of recruiting ugly and annoying colonists since it's a net boost if they get story told. Having expendable pawns to send on idiotic item stash quests is nice

If they get story told..?
"Man is least himself when he talks in his own person. Give him a mask, and he will tell you the truth." - Oscar Wilde

Jibbles

I do recall executing two colonists who would rather walk through a cluster of trees than the main paths in my base.
Had the whole colony watch the execution to set an example. 😈 Luckily had no problems after that.

Padraig Tseng

I generally have a core group of psychopaths, and generally let people join if they have useful skills.  If I get a "lemon" with no redeeming qualities, the first night while they are sleeping the psychopaths don their war masks and silently enter the bedroom of the "lemon" whereupon the "lemon" is executed.

vzoxz0

I have executed pyromaniacs and very break-prone people that I end up arresting, especially if they hurt someone and is considered guilty.

I will not abide this kind of nonsense in my colony.

Euthanasia is something else. I usually prefer sending them to their deaths in battle instead, allowing them entry to Valhalla.

In recent times I have just banished colonists who seem to be pyromaniacs once they enter the colony. It'd be cool if traits only appeared over time or observation (being hidden) if you don't start with the colonist or know them from before.

mebe

Currently playing at the south pole, on sea ice, world set to as cold as possible and permanent cold snap. There simply is no option but to force most wanderers to stand naked by their own grave until frost bite kills them.

This colony has probably killed around 15 so far.

(colonist died has a smaller debuff than banished to death)

vzoxz0

mebe

A while. Is it OK to say I make the dig their own graves too?

Shurp

I was afraid you were going to say that.

BTW, why don't you give them parkas for only a -3 penalty?  Or is it so cold there that even that won't keep them alive?
If you give an annoying colonist a parka before banishing him to the ice sheet you'll only get a -3 penalty instead of -5.

And don't forget that the pirates chasing a refugee are often better recruits than the refugee is.

mebe

In the winter, at night, it's around -112C so a cloth parka isn't much use and I don't have the means to give them anything better.

Shurp

Yeah, freeze 'n' bury looks like the right answer there.  Too bad you have to send someone out to bury them, they can't lie in the hole and cover themselves up in advance :)
If you give an annoying colonist a parka before banishing him to the ice sheet you'll only get a -3 penalty instead of -5.

And don't forget that the pirates chasing a refugee are often better recruits than the refugee is.

krnja21

Useless colonists get arrested and put in a room far out from the base with just a bed and an open door, they often flee without me even noticing, no debuffs no nothing  ;D

But yeah, i've never executed anyone with so many far better ways to dispose of/punish unwanted pawns.

Ukas

The firing squad is the only way I effectively use to get rid of a colonist, and I have used it twice. In both occasions a colonist had killed two other colonists in brawls.

Swarx

I'm starting to recruit prisoners/colonists I'd otherwise harvest/abandon and induct them into my little 'militia' (uniform is my profile pic), because even a man who has nothing can give his life! I tag my other colonists with titles like 'doctor', 'farmer', 'miner', etc. if they have useful skills. But the ones who are only good at combat, or something stupid like art/social, get tagged as 'militia' which I treat rather expandably, getting sent out on bandit camp quests and such.

One of the newer militia guys insulted one of my senior ones for no reason, so I let him beat him up. I forgot he had a masterwork sword though, and now my militia recruit has a destroyed kidney...