mod request regarding smelter

Started by lethaius, September 15, 2018, 12:58:21 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

lethaius

heya! so basically im playing the game for the first time today and i was just wondering, why isnt there a fueled smelter? and i thought id post a topic and see if anyone would be able to make a mod to add one in or something

vzoxz0

Because you need electromagnetism to separate out the useful compounds. It's in the description of the normal smelter. Just smelting things isn't very effective if you want usable steel after. I'm almost confident a mod like this already exists in one form or another, but it shouldn't be too hard for someone to set up a "wood-fuelled" smelter.

Nightinggale

Quote from: vzoxz0 on September 15, 2018, 02:18:56 PMBecause you need electromagnetism to separate out the useful compounds.
That's factually incorrect. Even in ancient time the Persians made glass beads, which they placed together with iron ore and melted it all. When it cooled down, the impurities in the iron had bonded to the molten glass and was then trapped in the solid glass. This appears to be the main reason why viking swords were stronger than other swords in Europe at the time. Vikings went through rivers all the way to a Persian trading post where they bought purified iron/steel. Certain types of rock can do the same task, though I can't remember which offhand.

There is also the option of hammering out the impurities. Heat the iron/steel to become red hot, hammer it to bend it into U and hammer it together. Heat it again and repeat. Each time this process takes place, a few impurities falls out. While time consuming, it was the way to get high quality iron 200 years ago.

I'm not even sure electromagnetism is used to get the impurities out directly. I think it's used to heat up the steel and then hammer it to shake out the impurities.

In other words a fueled smelter is realistic and I think I have seen one, but I suspect it was for B17. I don't know if there is a recent one.
ModCheck - boost your patch loading times and include patchmods in your main mod.

Fluffy (l2032)

I think the types of rock might be flux, e.g. lime(stone). Dwarf Fortress for !KNOWLEDGE!.

Gemeciusz

Here it is: (not mine, just found it browsing steam mods, maybe if youa sk nicely, the creator would upload here too)

https://steamcommunity.com/sharedfiles/filedetails/?id=1472187898&searchtext=