[B19] Rainbeau's Mods

Started by dburgdorf, September 15, 2018, 07:30:50 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

bigheadzach

Quote from: dburgdorf on September 22, 2018, 08:13:28 PM
Quote from: bigheadzach on September 22, 2018, 07:35:15 PMIs Plant Cut supposed to not be red-colored because it shares Growing as a subskill?

I'm not quite sure what you're asking. If a pawn hates skilled labor and/or plant work, then plant cutting *will* have a red box on the work tab. Otherwise, plant cutting isn't a "hated" work type.

(As to a more general implied question, plant cutting, hauling and cleaning, even if they're "hated" work types with red boxes on the work tab, will *not* trigger "bad work assignment" alerts, since the penalties are small and static, specifically to allow long-term assignments.)

I didn't see a red box for Plant Cut though my pawn hates Dumb Labor (and so I foolishly assigned him to it and he eventually got pissed to the point of being downed) - and I am assuming this is because since Plant Cut also considers Plants to be one of its key skills (to determine harvest success for both crops and trees), I'm wondering if that's a bug.

Unfortunately that game ended a few days ago otherwise I'd be able to reproduce what I saw.

dburgdorf

Quote from: bigheadzach on September 23, 2018, 04:31:03 PMI didn't see a red box for Plant Cut though my pawn hates Dumb Labor....

In b19, plant cutting is considered skilled labor, not dumb labor. When I initially released "Pawns are Capable" for b19, I didn't realize that that had changed, and so there were oddities regarding plant cutting when using the mod, one of which you're describing. But those were all resolved in the most recent update.
- Rainbeau Flambe (aka Darryl Burgdorf) -
Old. Short. Grumpy. Bearded. "Yeah, I'm a dorf."

Buy me a Dr Pepper?

dburgdorf

Last update: 10/13/2018

"Fertile Fields" is a terraforming mod that lets you fertilize and plow your soil, create farmland on solid rock so you can grow crops in inhospitable environs or inside of mountains, and eventually even restructure the landscape.

Create raw compost with food waste at a butcher's table, then put it in a compost bin or barrel so in time it can become fertilizer. Fertilizer can be used to convert any soil to rich soil. Further improve your farm's fertility by researching farming and plowing your soil. Or learn the fine art of terraforming, and redesign your environment to your heart's content.

- Rainbeau Flambe (dburgdorf)

Steam Workshop Link

Dropbox Link

New Research and Terrain Improvement Options:

Without researching anything, "Fertile Fields" allows you to do basic terrain modification, essentially just digging up dirt from one spot and moving it to another. You can also create raw compost and turn it into fertilizer, which can be used to upgrade your soil, even turning regular soil into rich soil.

Researching "Farming" opens up the ability to plow soil, which lets you further increase the fertility of rich soil. As well, it allows you to lay topsoil over smooth stone. Create a garden inside a mountain if you're so inclined. Topsoil can be further improved by fertilizing it, but can't be plowed.

Finally, "Terraforming" represents an understanding of advanced irrigation and drainage techniques, and opens up a wide variety of terrain-altering options. It allows you to turn marsh, mud, sand or shallow water tiles into farmable soil, or to turn fertile land into sand or marsh. It lets you create shallow water tiles from marsh, so you can create decorative (or defensive) moats. It opens up the ability to dump dirt into deep water to create shallow water, or to remove dirt from shallow water to produce deep water. It also allows you to break solid rock into rough gravel, which can be further improved into regular soil, letting you create mountain farms that can actually be plowed for maximum fertility. Conversely, you can turn rough gravel back into rough stone. Finally, it also allows you to create a rock mill at which you can create crushed rocks, sand and clay from stone chunks, which you can use to create dirt, so you'll no longer have to remove dirt from one tile in order to add it to another.

Using the Mod:

Most of what's added by "Fertile Fields" can be found on the new "Terraform" and "Farming" tabs of the Architect menu.

A few things, however, are less obvious.

Fertilizer is made from compost in either a compost bin or a compost barrel. Compost can be created at a butcher's table from vegetable matter and meat. It can also be obtained by burning corpses.

Dirt can be created by mixing sand, clay and fertilizer at a crafting spot. Conversely, piles of dirt can be separated at crafting spots into sand and clay. Clay can be "fired" at a smithy to create bricks.

Initially, if you need dirt, sand, clay or crushed rocks, you'll need to obtain them by digging up terrain somewhere on the map or by purchasing them from traders. Once you've researched "Terraforming" and built a rock mill, though, stone chunks can be turned to crushed rocks, which can be further ground into sand and then into clay. Sand and clay, as already noted, can be used to create dirt.

Sandbags, by the way, are now made from sand, cloth and steel instead of just from steel, and the mod also introduces "heavy sandbags," made from sand, leather and steel.

For a more detailed overview of everything the mod has to offer, you can consult the "Getting Started with Fertile Fields" text file located in the mod's "About" folder.

Compatibility:

"Fertile Fields" is not, at this time, compatible with Lanilor's "Terra Core" mod. That mod makes extensive changes to map and terrain generation, and adds far more terrain types than even exist in the vanilla game. To properly handle transformations between all of those new terrains would be a very extensive undertaking.

"Fertile Fields" should be compatible with most any other mods, though. If you run into specific issues, please let me know.

New terrains added by a number of mods are automatically recognized by "Fertile Fields." Night soil from Dub's "Hygiene" mod can be terraformed with any conversion that works from marshy soil. (Note that that mod has its own compost and fertilizer system, which is not consistent with what's provided by this one. There may be odd overlaps or misbehaviors if they're used together.) Wasteland from the "Crashlanding" mod can be terraformed as sand. Reclaimed soil from CuproPanda's "Quarry" mod can be terraformed as if it was gravel. Hot and cold springs from "Nature's Pretty Sweet" can be transformed as if they were shallow water tiles, and that mod's various "wet" sand and soil terrains can be transformed using terraforming jobs that work on comparable vanilla sand and soil terrains. The various rocky soils to be found on "Biomes!" cavern maps can be terraformed with any conversion that works on rocky dirt. And decrystallized sand and soil from "Tiberium Rim" can be terraformed as vanilla sand and gravel, respectively. (Note, though, that the various tiberium terrains introduced by that mod cannot be altered by anything in "Fertile Fields." To get rid of tiberium, you'll still need to utilize the mechanisms actually provided by "Tiberium Rim.")

You should be able to add "Fertile Fields" to an existing saved game without trouble, but removing the mod from a game in progress will, of course, likely cause problems or even make the game unplayable.

If you're using Fluffy's "Architect Sense" mod, you'll find that terraforming options are grouped together, making the "Terraform" menu rather less unwieldy.

Special note regarding "Vegetable Garden": I've tried to ensure that "Fertile Fields" and "Vegetable Garden" are compatible with each other. Most elements of the "Vegetable Garden Project" are unchanged. However, if you're using "VGP Garden Tools," you'll notice that its fertilizing and terraforming options are missing, as they duplicate existing "Fertile Fields" functionality, and that its various new planter boxes, sunlamps and hydroponics basins are located in this mod's "Farming" tab along with their vanilla counterparts. Finally, be aware that if you try to add "Fertile Fields" to a game in which you've already been using "VGP Garden Tools," you may encounter problems.

Credits:

German language translation files were generously provided by Ryder32x. Korean language translation files were provided by Ludeon forums user NEPH. French language translation files were provided by Steam user Redstylt. Russian files were provided by Steam user fox_kirya.

The C# code related to compost bins derives from Dismarzero's "Vegetable Garden." Other aspects of the mod's code have benefited in no small measure from NotFood's suggestions and contributions.

The mod utilizes Pardeike's "Harmony Patch Library." (No additional download is required, as the library is included with the mod.)

Buy me a Dr Pepper?

dburgdorf

The important "things to know" about the b18->b19 "Fertile Fields" update:

- Renamed "rocky dirt" to "rough gravel," since it's a better description of what the terrain is supposed to be, and since vanilla gravel is now called "stony soil." It's still an important terraforming step between solid stone and farmable terrain types, but it no longer generates naturally on maps.

- Eliminated custom graphics for soil and rich soil.

- Basic sandbags are now constructed from sand and steel instead of sand and cloth, to appease those who feel the cloth cost was too restrictive in the early game. Note that the steel cost is 2, as opposed to vanilla's 5.

- Heavy sandbags now also require steel, but use less leather than before.

- Both types of sandbags once again require regular sand piles instead of "mini" sand piles. The latter no longer exist in the mod.

Buy me a Dr Pepper?

Madman666

Yaaay! Our fields are fertile again. Thanks a bunch, @dburgdorf, i really missed this mod.

ultra4

I've been waiting for this one for a long time. Thank you

Antaios

Hey Rainbeau, I'm getting the same patch operation failed on WaterShallow, WaterOceanShallow and Marsh as Tayen on steam is.

To be sure, I tried a brand new unzipped fresh copy of RW, 0.19.2009. It still shows up.

Gotta say I can't figure out why though, checking the defs, they exist, and they have no 'affordances' locally set, so that rules out the two ways I thought PatchOperationAdd could fail.

~~
Oh wait, hold on, it's been a while since I screwed around with patches. maybe it's because affordances doesnt exist.

Yeah. Changing the WaterShallow patch to (for example):
<Operation Class="PatchOperationAdd">
<xpath>*/TerrainDef[defName = "WaterShallow"]</xpath>
<value>
<affordances>
<li>RFF_WaterShallow</li>
</affordances>
</value>
</Operation>

Removes the related WaterShallow patch error.

dburgdorf

Fertile Fields has been updated:

- Fixed a minor bug in water terrain patching.

Sorry 'bout that. I hadn't noticed the problem, as another mod in my list was masking it.  :P

Buy me a Dr Pepper?

dburgdorf

Quote from: Antaios on September 24, 2018, 12:15:36 AMYeah. Changing the WaterShallow patch to (for example)....

You correctly identified the reason for the errors, but your fix would actually generate errors if another mod also patched in any affordances, since in that case, whichever mod loaded second would be trying to add the "affordances" tag when it already existed. ;)

The actual solution is to add a conditional which checks to see if the "affordances" tag is present, then adds it if and only if it isn't.  And *then* add content to the tag.

I hadn't expected to have to worry about that, since the shallow water terrains *do* have a "bridgeable" affordance in vanilla b19. But I'd overlooked that that affordance is assigned via a root abstract def. In b18, at least as I recall, traits from root abstracts were assigned to individual defs *before* patches were applied, but in b19, that's not the case.

Buy me a Dr Pepper?

Antaios

Quote from: dburgdorf on September 24, 2018, 07:56:23 AM
Quote from: Antaios on September 24, 2018, 12:15:36 AMYeah. Changing the WaterShallow patch to (for example)....

You correctly identified the reason for the errors, but your fix would actually generate errors if another mod also patched in any affordances, since in that case, whichever mod loaded second would be trying to add the "affordances" tag when it already existed. ;)

The actual solution is to add a conditional which checks to see if the "affordances" tag is present, then adds it if and only if it isn't.  And *then* add content to the tag.
Oh I know, I was just testing to check if it was the cause - it wasn't meant to be a full solution.  :D

ultra4

FF doesn't deal with soft sand. Making it inside a kill box would be ok in a desert region.

When testing the mod (extreme desert map) i was heartbroken because i had a patch of "soft sand" the middle of the base layout, lets say my base was waiting for the mod to come out to fix the holes in the walls. it did. no fix... only then... i thought, lets build some floor.... (vanilla floors wont work but your brick floor or "fences and floors mod" floors work) ok... now a wall over those floors... lol no more soft sand problem....

... still think terraforming it into something more solid instead of finding modded floors that are an exception to the original programing would be the best solution

dburgdorf

Quote from: ultra4 on September 24, 2018, 01:41:15 PMFF doesn't deal with soft sand.

I didn't bother to add a way to *create* soft sand, but you should be able to use any terraforming action on soft sand that you can use on regular sand, to convert it into a different terrain type. Did that not work for some reason?

(Also, I know it wasn't your point, but thanks for pointing out that my brick floors are bugged somehow. I'll have to compare them to vanilla floors more carefully, and see what needs to be adjusted.)

Buy me a Dr Pepper?

dburgdorf

Pawns Are Capable! has been updated:

- Attempting to draft pawns such as hacked mechanoids from Roolo's "What the Hack?!" (which lack some of the attributes of colonist pawns) should no longer generate error messages.

Buy me a Dr Pepper?

Roolo

Quote from: dburgdorf on September 24, 2018, 09:50:35 PM
Pawns Are Capable! has been updated:

- Attempting to draft pawns such as hacked mechanoids from Roolo's "What the Hack?!" (which lack some of the attributes of colonist pawns) should no longer generate error messages.

Thanks Rainbeau! I really appreciate it that you looked into this so quickly!

ultra4

Quote from: dburgdorf on September 24, 2018, 01:50:46 PM
(...) you should be able to use any terraforming action on soft sand that you can use on regular sand, to convert it into a different terrain type. Did that not work for some reason? (...)

Sind there is no specific recipe for soft sand and you can build a wall on sand but not on soft sand, i never though of trying terraform those as if they were sand, that was a lack of oversight on my part. Got that floor building workaround working and stopped there ::) now i know

Thanks for the quick response and yes, the floor workaround is a kind of a cheat that should be fixed