Medieval Colony

Started by kclace, September 15, 2018, 08:06:42 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

kclace

I've started a colony in a rainforest that has forsaken industrial technology and is completely medieval. So far it is working out great. My colonists have been cutting raiders to pieces with gladius swords, and I've just researched plate armor. The colony is built like a castle and has the following features.

Stone wall in a square.
Rooms line the inside of the square.
A large open area in the center that has a dining room, some production benches, and a large field of rice.
A secondary wall that forms an outer perimeter. (In progress).

My plans for the colony:

1. Complete the second perimeter wall.
2. Research long bows.
3. Create archer pits along the secondary perimeter wall or something akin to guard towers for the archers.
4. Plate armor for all my heavy hitting melee types.
5. Outfits that look medieval. Cloth dusters are great but just don't look medieval enough!

kclace

Update: Cassandra is evil...on rough

Having realized that my low wealth high powered medieval colony was impossible to take down with raids, she decided to hit me hard with volcanic winter AND toxic fallout. With no modern technology and a rapidly dwindling food supply, my colonists were forced to evacuate. Now they are trying to rebuild on a new tile.

vzoxz0

I play exclusively on Savage, and that has NEVER happened to me.

Thane

If you play Randy it doesn't often happen, but a moderate Cassandra will pull that crap right away. She's a bit more scripted and has some nasty tools she'll pull out to get the story to play like she wants it to.
It is regular practice to install peg legs and dentures on anyone you don't like around here. Think about that.

kclace

15 days of volcanic winter to thin out the food supply, then the toxic fall out came. Fortunately we were able to bug out and rebuild on another part of the map, but  rebuilds are not easy.

Slimy_Slider

I had a Volcanic Winter in my colony the other day...

But since it was a jungle colony in the middle of the equator, it didn't really change anything. Actually, the cooling made most of my crops grow faster, so it was a plus really.