Question about research

Started by xcalibre88, September 16, 2018, 02:03:49 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

xcalibre88

Hi there, I'm new to modding and am currently reading up on the subject. I have a heavily modded version of Rimworld B19 but wish to gate some of the mods behind research requirements (perhaps some existing ones, or create new categories as appropriate) in an effort to make the modded game harder or feel more progressive.

Can someone please share their knowledge on the best/most efficient way of doing this?

Thanks

5thHorseman

Cheap and easy (aka cheesy) would be to just not have the mods enabled until you reach the point where you think you've earned them. I've never done this with Rimworld but I used to do it all the time in Kerbal Space Program and it worked quite well.

Start with 0 mods. Every time you research a node (or get a colonist, or survive a raid, or whatever you want) you get to install 1 mod.
Toolboxifier - Soil Clarifier
I never got how pawns in the game could have such insanely bad reactions to such mundane things.
Then I came to the forums.

xcalibre88

This is a thought I've actually had!

I tried it on a much smaller scale also on KSP but ran into several issues with save game corruptions etc so abandoned the method. Would this not be a similar issue with Rimworld?

5thHorseman

Quote from: xcalibre88 on September 16, 2018, 03:18:28 PM
This is a thought I've actually had!

I tried it on a much smaller scale also on KSP but ran into several issues with save game corruptions etc so abandoned the method. Would this not be a similar issue with Rimworld?

I don't know. I don't tend to use gameplay changing mods and I've not had save corruption issues in KSP since well before 1.0. I've not had a save corruption in Rimworld ever (knock wood).
Toolboxifier - Soil Clarifier
I never got how pawns in the game could have such insanely bad reactions to such mundane things.
Then I came to the forums.