Does penoxycyline prevent infection after medical treatment?

Started by vzoxz0, September 17, 2018, 07:15:37 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

vzoxz0

I found myself wondering about this, as I have literally never used penoxycyline since it seemed like a useless thing to have unless your colony is tropical or swampy in nature.

Does anyone know? Could it be used as preventative care for surgery or for when your poor colonists are torn up by a stray capybara?

If not, should it?

Thirteen Fish

The first sentence of the penoxycyline description is a bit misleading, if the description is read without that sentence the effect becomes more clear. That is to say penoxycyline only blocks malaria, sleeping sickness, and the plague, but not the disease "infection" that results from injury (or the flu, mechanites, gut worms, etc).

Covered in Weasels

It can be nice to have your best doctor on regular doses of penoxycyline to ensure they are standing when a sickness hits.

scorlew

The important part of the description is that it is a preventative and not a treatment, i.e. it works before but not after certain illnesses.
Send lawyers, guns and money. 
                           -WZ

BLACK_FR

Quote from: vzoxz0 on September 17, 2018, 07:15:37 PM
I found myself wondering about this, as I have literally never used penoxycyline since it seemed like a useless thing to have unless your colony is tropical or swampy in nature.

Does anyone know? Could it be used as preventative care for surgery or for when your poor colonists are torn up by a stray capybara?

If not, should it?

Penoxycyline is one of the most needed researches in the game, most valuable drug. All your pawns should by always under peonoxycyline to prevent plague, malaria and sleeping sickness. It costs 240$ a year on merciless with 0 social for 1 pawn which is very affordable price to not ever face those deadly diseases.
Guide to mastery of the game - https://ludeon.com/forums/index.php?topic=46290
If you have idea how make merciless naked brutality run more challenging and fun - tell me

Azaakx

Yeah, but i wish it could help during the infection, i mean... most antibiotics are used against bacterias when the infection is active, it could be like using the penoxyciline bring +x% of inmunity per dose but with a loooong time within doses .

sorry if bad english

vzoxz0

Antibiotics/antivirals should be its own thing in my opinion. Could be another use for devilstrand -- a mushroom is often the source of such things.

BLACK_FR

Quote from: Azaakx on September 19, 2018, 07:36:15 AM
Yeah, but i wish it could help during the infection, i mean... most antibiotics are used against bacterias when the infection is active, it could be like using the penoxyciline bring +x% of inmunity per dose but with a loooong time within doses .

sorry if bad english

I think balance-wise anti-disease measures are pretty well-balances now. You should read my disease section about that here if you have any trouble fighting diseases: https://ludeon.com/forums/index.php?topic=45664.0

Your English is ok, for my non-english taste))
Guide to mastery of the game - https://ludeon.com/forums/index.php?topic=46290
If you have idea how make merciless naked brutality run more challenging and fun - tell me

erdrik

I always just assumed infection prevention was abstracted as apart of medicine/healroot.

Wiki:
"Higher quality makes infections less likely..."

Each medicine type has a base tend quality. This quality changes based on the doctor's skill, but assuming the same skill each medicine type provides different tend quality chances:
Healroot at lvl 9: 63%
Medicine at lvl 9: 100%

bbqftw

Sadly penoxy does not protect against most lethal disease called gut worms, which force you to position with the knowledge that your pawn can vomit at anytime.

erdrik

Quote from: bbqftw on September 19, 2018, 05:04:51 PM
... penoxy does not protect against most lethal disease called gut worms...
Wat. Is joke?. ...gut worms is not lethal...

bbqftw

Vomiting during combat situations has a much higher chance of getting a competent players pawn killed than any actual disease. It basically means you cannot position them aggressively at all since you may get story told with a 10 second stun.

It is so dangerous I would rather take a plague in most cases.

erdrik

Quote from: bbqftw on September 19, 2018, 05:43:40 PM
Vomiting during combat situations has a much higher chance of getting a competent players pawn killed than any actual disease. It basically means you cannot position them aggressively at all since you may get story told with a 10 second stun.

It is so dangerous I would rather take a plague in most cases.

That is still not death by gut worm though.
That is death by "being put in a combat situation instead of remaining on bed rest".

EDIT:
Not to say it isn't sometimes necessary to put patients on the front line.
But it is a good idea to understand the actual cause of death.

bbqftw

You are correct, I guess. Ultimately a player should be charged with remembering exactly who has this affliction, and play appropriately in mind with knowing that at any point they can be RNG'd by a 10 second stun while on gut worms. To do otherwise is indeed a mistake.

I would still argue that this condition is more dangerous than the others despite not having a progression that kills at 100% as a result. I consider low% RNG with devastating consequence harder to play around than controllable situation like plague / malaria progression are. For example, you can mathematically determine how safe it is, given lack of bed rest and other easily accessible variables, whether its safe to field a plague victim. You can't really do the same calculation with gut worms.

Lets say you get drop podded in your hospital. Your pawn vomits while going to the door and gets CHOPPED. Is that a death due to gut worms? Or maybe you can be results oriented and say its your fault for not having them sleep off map in a caravan tile?

Put it this way, of my games on commitment merciless on b19, I have taken 4-5 unintentional hostile gunshot wounds over ~9 years on various colonies. Of these, the vomit situation accounts for one of them, presented a scenario with highest chance of outright killing my colonist (at around ~3%, this is like tanking a charge lance shot at partial cover in terms of "how to feed away your colonist" level) and is very fresh in my memory.

erdrik

Quote from: bbqftw on September 19, 2018, 08:46:35 PM
... Is that a death due to gut worms? Or maybe you can be results oriented and say its your fault for not having them sleep off map in a caravan tile?

Or put your hospital under a mountain roof.
You don't have to build a mountain base to make use of a mountain roof, and neither should a refusal to build a mountain base exclude using the mountain roof for certain important rooms.