Nerf prey.

Started by Cursedth, September 17, 2018, 08:00:06 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Cursedth

"Cougar hunts squirrel and dies 4 hours later of blood loss."

While it should be Cougar (or any other predator)  jumps prey, bites it's neck holds it down and kills it without getting hurt.
Predators should only risk injury if the prey is larger then themselves and hunt it alone.
Like a Wolf hunts (eg) a Bison, Bison kicks and crushes wolf's skull, leg, jaw or ribs and wolf dies.
But a pack of wolves against a Bison, Bison doesn't stand a chance.

The animals shouldn't fight like humans.
Once predators grab their prey it is mostly game over for them, with no chance of injuring the predator, certainly not when in a pack.

But yes there are of course dangerous prey animals like boars who can rip open predators with their tusks.
But small animals like squirrels, raccoons, ect being the cause of dead to a predator is very very unlikely.

Regards,
Cursedth

vzoxz0

Packs of wolves would be pretty sweet, but that would be way too hard to balance.

I do agree that tortoises and squirrels, as well as raccoons, might need a bit of a nerf.

Seriously Unserious

I agree. IMO all the small prey animals need a HUGE nerf. things like rabbits, squirrels, rats, etc, should be mostly harmless to things way bigger then they are.

I could see a squirrel who's being hunted by a desperate rat being able to fight it off successfully, as they're in about the same size class, or a rabbit maybe being able to fight off a fox if it's cornered, for the same similar size reasons. But a squirrel being able to do anything to a cougar or a human? Ridiculous. I have a colonist who had to convalesce for over a day due to life threatening injuries dealt at the paws and jaws of a freaking squirrel! She had a cracked jaw from a squirrel paw, WTF?!

A squirrel should be able to cause only MINOR injuries and only with it's bite to much larger creatures then it. The only risk factor of a squirrel bite should be infection or disease. If that cougar got bit by the squirrel before the cougar ate it, and that bite transmitted a deadly disease(eg rabies) to the cougar, then I could see the cougar in the OP's example being fatal, but not because the viscous little squirrel just savaged that poor defenceless cougar that bad.

scorlew

Just earlier this evening I had a cougar kill a turkey, but not before taking a nasty scratch from which he bled to death in four hours.  Just a little out of balance I'd say.
Send lawyers, guns and money. 
                           -WZ

Hans Lemurson

I thought predator attacks had a stun effect that lessened the likelyhood of the prey fighting back.  Maybe something got changed with that?
Mental break: playing RimWorld
Hans Lemurson is hiding in his room playing computer games.
Final straw was: Overdue projects.

vzoxz0

My colonists regularly get downed or seriously injured by squirrels.

Serenity

I just noticed a panther killed by a tortoise

Earlier I had another panther downed by a cassowary, which allowed me to finish it off

lancar

It's gotten to the point where it's a bit silly, I agree. I've started regularly checking the wildlife tab for dying predators. I'm not gonna say no to risk-free meat and leather, and predator leather is usually the better kind to boot.

twoski

if squirrels, turtles, etc. get nerfed then they'd need some sort of intermediate animal to spawn in the maps for those "maddened animal" events early on.

an enraged squirrel shouldn't be able to down a colonist in any case, maybe an enraged wild dog or something....

vzoxz0

They're actually preydators.