What engine was rimworld develped in?

Started by TearsOfLA, September 17, 2018, 09:53:20 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

TearsOfLA

I wrote a long flowery post about how I like the game and want to make something like it, but I hit backspace in the validation and lost that, so boiled down thought time. What engine was Rimworld developed in and if that isn't really known, what recommendations do people have as to making a 2d top down simulator (as in good engines to use).

spyderwebsc

Bozobub

If you don't need absolutely AAA-class graphics, Unity is probably a good place to start.  Blender also has many fans.  Both are free to download for noncommercial purposes, btw, if you'd like to check 'em out.
Thanks, belgord!

Nynzal

Definitly start with Unity. If you have never done any programming, getting into that might be hard - but it is well documented and free to use. Also you can easily achieve a state where you can test and actually see things. Although getting a game to the point where one cant instantly identify unity as the tool requires a lot of work and extra tools. But it is a prefect start.
Winter is coming

Bobisme

Quote from: Bozobub on September 17, 2018, 10:21:52 PM
If you don't need absolutely AAA-class graphics, Unity is probably a good place to start.  Blender also has many fans.  Both are free to download for noncommercial purposes, btw, if you'd like to check 'em out.

Aren't both free regardless? last i checked unity (and blender) is allowed for commercial use aslong as you have not earnt something like 100k in the last 'year' from games or something, i may be way of on those figures, been a long time since i installed unity mainly due to THAT benefit. Free for commercial use as long as your not some giant leeching conglomerate

Kirby23590

Unity is a good place to start for making 3D & 2D games.

Which Rimworld is, using the Unity 3D engine.

One "happy family" in the rims...
Custom font made by Marnador.

ReZpawner