Siege suggestions

Started by Headshotkill, July 07, 2014, 12:08:44 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Headshotkill

With the latest addition of sieges this game has become a lot more intersting, however there are some things that I'd like to talk about.

-When you attack a siege-camp the mortars will start aiming at you, I'd like it more if they kept firing at the base, this way you'll have to leave some people behind to maintain the base.
-Mortar shells should create holes in roof over buildings, this would require roofs to be rebalanced in the game cause they should be manually repaired and build then.
-Mortar shells hitting your base when it's build into a mountain shouldn't create holes in the roof cause it's a thick layer of rock but it should have a 30% chance of creating a collaps directly under it if it's above a room or hallway.
-Explosions are not only dangerous but also mentally very disturbing, after several days of bombardment the colonists should get a thought called 'Shellshock' which could make them go crazy.
-Raiders from a siege should try aiming for defenses outside your base and should attack the base like normal raiders when they think most of the defensive systems are destroyed.

That was just something I wanted to throw out, I'm really enjoying this build though!

BetaSpectre

If you ask me if a roof has proper support and is made of metal/stone then it should be immune from mortar fire forcing raiders to have to rush in but that said you can't fire mortars back to prevent your surface colony from getting wrecked.

Leaving a base to end a siege hasn't been how most IRL sieges get lifted. The raiders should come to you unless you were blessed with several in mountain generators those mortars will leave your colonists dead in the water, starving and such.

That said these guys are RAIDERS they should break into your stock piles take it all then leave ASAP. Humans don't die for fun...
░░░░░░░░░░░░░░░░░─╤▌██ |
░░░░░░░░─╤▂▃▃▄▄▄███████▄▃|
▂█▃▃▅▅███/█████\█[<BSS>█\███▅▅▅▃▂
◥████████████████████████████████◤
                           TO WAR WE GO

kirasaw

I agree, it the roof has proper support it should be immune to motor fire. attacking the raiders can put your colony at risk. the odds are almost always 5-1. maybe you could bribe the raiders away?

_alphaBeta_

I posted this elsewhere on the tester forums. Thoughts?

Quote from: _alphaBeta_
A quick fix may be for a roof to block incoming projectiles at the expense of damaging the walls supporting that section of roof. When the damage piles up, and if left unchecked, the roof falls creating more damage and leaving the area open to traditional attack (the projectiles can come through directly). The basic components are already there since roofs are aware when their support is removed. Same system really, just reversing the relationship and having the roof, when hit, damaging its supports. This can apply to both man-made and natural supports, with mineral rocks becoming damaged the same way (as if they were mined perhaps). At least in the short-term, this allows roofs to still remain transparent to the player.

fraz

Quote from: _alphaBeta_ on July 08, 2014, 08:25:07 PM

A quick fix may be for a roof to block incoming projectiles at the expense of damaging the walls supporting that section of roof. When the damage piles up, and if left unchecked, the roof falls creating more damage and leaving the area open to traditional attack (the projectiles can come through directly). The basic components are already there since roofs are aware when their support is removed. Same system really, just reversing the relationship and having the roof, when hit, damaging its supports. This can apply to both man-made and natural supports, with mineral rocks becoming damaged the same way (as if they were mined perhaps). At least in the short-term, this allows roofs to still remain transparent to the player.
I think this is a brilliant solution. It's the only option I'm aware of that wouldn't involve a complete overhaul of the roofing system. Your solution allows roofing to remain simple, automatic, and unobtrusive, but at the same time carries with it a variety of elegantly intuitive mechanics. For instance, the roofs of stone structures, and particularly structures with reinforcing internal pillars, could survive significant abuse, whereas a mortar shell impacting the roof of a small wooden structure might cause immediate collapse of the entire structure.

EscapeZeppelin

Quote from: fraz on July 09, 2014, 03:55:07 AM
Quote from: _alphaBeta_ on July 08, 2014, 08:25:07 PM

I think this is a brilliant solution. It's the only option I'm aware of that wouldn't involve a complete overhaul of the roofing system. Your solution allows roofing to remain simple, automatic, and unobtrusive, but at the same time carries with it a variety of elegantly intuitive mechanics. For instance, the roofs of stone structures, and particularly structures with reinforcing internal pillars, could survive significant abuse, whereas a mortar shell impacting the roof of a small wooden structure might cause immediate collapse of the entire structure.

I really like this idea as well. It would certainly be more siege-like as well rather than simply having the crap bombed out of you.

Gabriel_Braun

I fully support this solution too!  It would also add a meaningful reason to reinforce internal structure design as well as making it a balanced trade-off between all the structure materials!  Great idea dude!

Currently the stone walls and metal walls trade-off is simply total HP vs power conduction but under the system you have suggested it would make sense to have stone 'pillars' internally to shore up the internal structure...    Yes, I like it a lot, hope Tynan considers it :D

Shinzy

I support all of this! right now the mortars seem to try shoot the closest colonist
and single colonist is really hard to hit with mortars, and if you take this said colonist outside your base while the rest keep shelling the siege site with our owm mortars

it's just too easy way of getting rid of any danger they have to offer

especially when they just get jampacked in very tiny area
couple lucky hits in the middle and their mortars cause chain explosion that wipes the entire camp
that or the 50 raiders buzzing in the tiny plot all have mental breakdown and start shooting eachother.

Which is really fun to look at, I have to admit! =D

they definately need some work
maybe have them spread their camp a bit more
and not have them got entire army out there against your 6 colonists to deal with

I haven't been able to attack their siege camps the way I saw in Tynan's youtube video showoff =P