Things you refuse to do in the game

Started by 5thHorseman, September 18, 2018, 02:54:46 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

vzoxz0

I refuse to leave the planet. It's mine. No one is leaving it alive.

Third_Of_Five

Quote from: vzoxz0 on September 18, 2018, 06:01:56 PM
I refuse to leave the planet. It's mine. No one is leaving it alive.

Same. The only time I leave the planet is when I have school/life stuff to attend to and I want to take a break from the game. Finishing the game by launching the ship is a good way of removing the distraction.

Shurp

On the gay pawn thing... why isn't situational homosexuality a thing in Rimworld?  It's certainly popular enough in historical settings (California miners, navy men, prisoners, etc.).  If your colony has a serious male/female imbalance it would be entertaining to see one of the hetero men say "Oh why not?" after being propositioned repeatedly by the lone gay male.

I can't help but wonder if this horse has already been beaten to death in another thread...
If you give an annoying colonist a parka before banishing him to the ice sheet you'll only get a -3 penalty instead of -5.

And don't forget that the pirates chasing a refugee are often better recruits than the refugee is.

Swarx

Quote from: Shurp on September 18, 2018, 06:38:03 PM
On the gay pawn thing... why isn't situational homosexuality a thing in Rimworld?  It's certainly popular enough in historical settings (California miners, navy men, prisoners, etc.).  If your colony has a serious male/female imbalance it would be entertaining to see one of the hetero men say "Oh why not?" after being propositioned repeatedly by the lone gay male.

I can't help but wonder if this horse has already been beaten to death in another thread...

I had a male colonist without the "gay" trait eventually marry one of my gay colonists after being wooed by him. After his husband got killed by mechanoids, he went back to flirting with girls, though.

Anyway, one thing I would never do is eat/harvest one of my own dead colonists. I always make extravagant sarcophagi and tombs for my fallen boys and girls.

Third_Of_Five

Quote from: Swarx on September 18, 2018, 07:02:04 PM
I always make extravagant sarcophagi and tombs for my fallen boys and girls.

Funny, I have a more complicated system for who gets put in a sarcophagus. Only colonists who made significant contributions to the colony get a sarcophagus, everyone else just gets a normal grave.

Crow_T

I second making killboxes, even though I should because I'm awful at combat. Not so much a refusal but a strong choice not to use the mini turrets, they can be a bit chaotic for my tastes.  I don't butcher humans, but only because of the colony wide mood debuff. It'd be neat if you could have the cannibals do it in secret, like if nobody sees it happen or sees the byproducts its all good.
(regarding dead man's apparel)
"I think, at the very least, the buff should go away for jackets so long as you're wearing the former owner's skin as a shirt."
-Condaddy20

Scavenger

I always avoided turrets for the most part also, but with the big rework, it will be interesting to see how they handle.
"Man is least himself when he talks in his own person. Give him a mask, and he will tell you the truth." - Oscar Wilde

Kirby23590

Things i refuse?

Quote from: The List
1. Making Killboxes. Kind of kills the fun & challenge IMO.

2. Killing my own colonists. I only banish them unless there are family members or a loved one, or my playthrough is cannibals if you're not a psychopath or a cannibal.

3. Making Mountain bases. Because of bug hives.

4. Giving everyone the same clothing & uniform. Everyone wearing Flak Jackets or Power Armor, i would give them different clothing & armor for them, even the same clothes but a different type of leather or materials or even a different hat.

One "happy family" in the rims...
Custom font made by Marnador.

Nynzal

I never struggled with the relationship so much that I considered gender selection - although I get annoyed by all the attempts on a married couple. Guess I jumped to conclusions when I first read the refusing gays statement - sorry about that.
Since I also dont really see the point of a ship launch, I do the opposite and avoid open maps and like to build mountain bases. Interesting is that combined with a very cold map - low temperatures prevent hives from spawning - they dont seem like a problem, altough that kinda feels like cheating. Maybe I got lucky on my runs and thats why I still dont actively avoid the infestations.
Winter is coming

BLACK_FR

I basically don't do anything that I won't do in real life considering circumstances. No killings apart from self-defense, no messing with humans body (like butchering, cannibalism or organ harvest; I perform unneeded surgeries to train med skill though), I took all pawns and their bonded pets to ship, I don't respond to calls for help.
Guide to mastery of the game - https://ludeon.com/forums/index.php?topic=46290
If you have idea how make merciless naked brutality run more challenging and fun - tell me

Serenity

Go to stupid lengths to reduce wealth to make the game easier. Maybe the wealth/raid system is broken, but I won't do silly things to game it

vzoxz0

Kind of a random thought, but don't "mini turrets" equal around 4 per human in value now?

Bionics are not really worth it anymore since they dramatically increase value. I can have what, 5 mini turrets with power source vs one guy with an archotech eye.

Mkok

1. wall off any entrance. If its there, it will be defended, not closed  8)
2. Its not really a 'refuse', but more like try, but I always try to build rooms like recreation room with crazy amount of wealth (my idea is something like a golden pyramid my colonists can go to have fun at  ;D), or have an armory for weapons. Also give each important colonist (usually the first 4 guys) a special room with stuff in it. The constructor always gets his room linked to furniture assembly hall, where all my furniture get assembled, butcher gets his own freezer, researcher get the research table as part of his room, etc. Its far from optimal but fun  ;D
I also love building out of wood, especially in middle of desert  ;)
3. if using mods with all kinds of stuff, I sometimes pretend some of the more crazy things are just results of crazy experiments my researcher did, and so I build only one of them. For example there used to be a mod that added some kind of potato generator, or plasma generator with fun properties. Though in later stages of the game I would sometimes build more of them, kinda like the guy finally figured how to make more then just the single prototype of deadly radiation emitting generator he put straight next to the bed he sleeps at :-)

Ukas

Oo I like this thread, fun to read about different rules. Like some others here, I don't have definite rules against cannibalism, killing/harvesting prisoners etc. but those are for state of emergency only. Like if one of my pawns has a bad heart condition, so of course he'll get a new heart, fresh from the prison hospital. But here are some of the gameplay rules I have:

1.  No mods which will make the gameplay easier without balancing it by introducing additional challenge. It's relative, but means no to really many mods. Mods such as EdB Prepare Carefully is okay, as I use it to create a crappy colonist to begin the game with.

2. Only start with a single colonist. And a husky. Also 3 medicines, and 3 meals.

3. There can be only one wall, to cover one direction, if the colony is near the edge of the map.

4. No turret building. Capturing turrets from a mission is okay though. This seems to mean that on average there are 1 or 2 turrets "alive".

Rule 3 and 4 are kinda new, in earlier games I never had any turrets or walls.

5. No killboxes. I do build massive sandbag defense lines with chunks in front of them etc. but I like to defence with pawns.

6. According to my rulebook it's okay build a space ship, but haven't, and doubt if ever will.

7. For all of the deceased colonists there will be a great mausoleum, built mainly from slade, also silver, jade and limestone. In this mausoleum there are resting places for about 20 pawns. Each will get a sarcophagus, and the first casualty of the colony will get a golden/silver one to honor his/her personal sacrifice to the colony, and to honor all to follow. Silver or jade to all really great pawns. Normals and short-lived get stone, usually sandstone. There are also two separate rooms for 3-4 more, one room for especially helpful and long serving colony animals, and the other for really troublesome colonists. Both of these will get a wooden box only. Usually I get to build this mausoleum around year 6-8, before this there's a crummy storage with wooden sarcophagi for colonists who died during the early game.

RimSol

I have never been on a forum with so many people who play games the way they are "meant" to be played.

It is refreshing to know that I'm not the only one trying to just have fun when I game vs attempting to beat the system and "be the best".

<3