Boats!

Started by Pizza Mode, June 16, 2018, 11:51:00 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Pizza Mode

I was thinking it'd be nice to have some more aquatic stuff in Rimworld. I started up a game used [db] bridges & archipelagos for a fun, thematic desert island colony, but it just feels like it's missing something: boats!

I think adding boats could be really nifty and provide a lot of room for expansion down the road. At first boats could be primitive & simple, just transit across water tiles on the big map & maybe within your colony, but I'd love it if you could design & build your own boat like you do a colony and send it out to see! Then instead of watching a caravan you would watch the deck of your boat & there could be pirate raids on the high seas, or friendly trader encounters, or rescuing shipwrecked sailors. As it is you can do an isolated island game & just use drop pods to get to the mainland (but then you need to build more to get back), but having boats as an option would really make islands compelling.

jptrrs

Just transit across water tiles on the big map would be a neat feature! Picture heavily loaded caravans, able to trade on far-reaching routes. It could be an earlier trade infrastructure, before the advent of launch pods. Or maybe factions requesting ferry transport across water bodies... We need this!