Are herd migration events no longer a thing?

Started by Third_Of_Five, September 18, 2018, 02:35:53 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Third_Of_Five

I remember playing in B18 a while back (I haven't played rimworld in a while, just started playing it again after the release of B19) that occasionally there were random events where a crapload of one species of large herbivore (muffalo, elk, etc) would move across the map in a huge clump. They made a great food source, especially during winter or when playing on ice sheet. It was one of those little things in rimworld that made the world feel more alive.

In B19 they're gone. Have they been removed?

To be fair though, I usually settle in places that are more northerly with harsh winters, so maybe migrations only happen in those areas? Is there something I'm missing? Or have they actually been removed? I didn't find anything in the release notes for B19 saying that this event was removed so I don't know.

Maverik

I had not noticed but it's true, I have not seen this event in any of my B19 games, mostly in temperate forest and one in Arid shrubland.

Timst

I had a snowhare herd migration just yesterday.

Third_Of_Five

Quote from: Maverik on September 18, 2018, 02:42:15 PM
I had not noticed but it's true, I have not seen this event in any of my B19 games, mostly in temperate forest and one in Arid shrubland.

My new B19 playthrough is in a temperate forest, with very mild winters (I can grow potatoes all year round if there's no cold snap). My old playthroughs, though, were almost exclusively in boreal forests, and I even tried playing ice sheet once; in those playthroughs, I got a herd migration at least once every winter.
Conversely, you seem to be playing exclusively in warmer biomes, so maybe that's why you don't get migrations.
So I'm wondering if it's the biome that triggers it, or if it was actually removed from B19.

Third_Of_Five

Quote from: Timst on September 18, 2018, 02:48:06 PM
I had a snowhare herd migration just yesterday.

What biome were you playing in? And how cold were the winters?

Timst

Tundra, and winters can go down to -40°C, although I think the migration was during fall or late summer.

lancar

My current Boreal Forest (small hills) has had no migrations at all in the 4 in-game years it's been active.
It hasn't really bothered me though, as there's plenty of hunting to be had regardless but it's still a bit strange now that you mention it.

fecalfrown

Now that you mention it, I haven't seen one either in my current 4 year game. Temperate forest, harsh winter, small hills.

Maybe either removed or made much more rare?