[1.5] Defensive Machine Gun Turret Pack 1.8.4 (15 Mar 2024)

Started by sumghai, September 18, 2018, 05:44:06 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

f0xhunt

Handy mod. For some reason, CE doesn't include turrets that shoot rifle rounds apart from the m240B. DP turret is handy in the early game when you have a bunch of russian arms since NATO arms require chemfuel to build. KPV is expensive to shoot and none of your rifles share ammo with it. Horrible for suppression since you are using 50 steel for 200 rounds while 7.59R uses ~20 steel for 500. This mod should probably be included in CE guns, tbh.

I haven't tried any of the other turrets but looking over the stats in the patch files, they seem to be reasonable and fill in holes of CE. Minigun seems like a lot of fun. Very expensive fun.

Also, why this isn't in the steam workshop? There is the older version but you could just label it, "Defensive Machine Gun Turret Pack 1.0 [CE compatible]".

sumghai

Quote from: f0xhunt on January 31, 2019, 04:16:16 PMAlso, why this isn't in the steam workshop? There is the older version but you could just label it, "Defensive Machine Gun Turret Pack 1.0 [CE compatible]".

• I prefer to maintain only one download location available to all users, not just limited to Steam users
  • I don't like how Steam manages mod files (i.e. renames mod folders into an non-descriptive ID number, making debugging or reverse-engineering mods difficult)
  • I want users to update and troubleshoot my mods manually, instead of Steam automatically forcing breaking changes onto their savegames
  • I don't like the Steam community in general

zozilin

Combat Extended:
I don't know how to replicate this bug, but my turrets (I only use manned) periodically don't shoot. I can see the shrinking cones as if it is readying to fire but no bullet comes out.
Two separate M2HBs behaved differently - one was okay, while the other wasn't able to shoot. When I was toggling Aim modes, it suddenly started firing in suppress mode, but others still didn't work.
90mm turret (which is from CE) had same issues. No log error btw.
Honestly, I don't know where to ask or how to solve it, other than replacing turrets with God mode.

sumghai

Quote from: zozilin on March 04, 2019, 06:54:40 PM
Combat Extended:
I don't know how to replicate this bug, but my turrets (I only use manned) periodically don't shoot. I can see the shrinking cones as if it is readying to fire but no bullet comes out.
Two separate M2HBs behaved differently - one was okay, while the other wasn't able to shoot. When I was toggling Aim modes, it suddenly started firing in suppress mode, but others still didn't work.
90mm turret (which is from CE) had same issues. No log error btw.
Honestly, I don't know where to ask or how to solve it, other than replacing turrets with God mode.

I experienced this issue myself briefly during development, but I haven't been able to replicate it since.

Did you add the turrets to an existing CE savegame, or did you start a brand new game? Does God-moding replacement turrets in resolve the issue permanently?

zozilin

Quote from: sumghai on March 04, 2019, 07:48:51 PM

I experienced this issue myself briefly during development, but I haven't been able to replicate it since.

Did you add the turrets to an existing CE savegame, or did you start a brand new game? Does God-moding replacement turrets in resolve the issue permanently?

I think I've found the cause. Turrets won't fire (except for suppress mode) if they are directly adjacent and firing through embrasures. Any kind, I tried both CE native and Rainbeau Flambe's Concrete mod embrasures.
So, if one tile has a turret, the one next to it is an embrasure wall and the target is somewhere on the other side, the turret won't fire.
Edit: It's a new game.

sumghai

Quote from: zozilin on March 04, 2019, 08:07:24 PMI think I've found the cause. Turrets won't fire (except for suppress mode) if they are directly adjacent and firing through embrasures. Any kind, I tried both CE native and Rainbeau Flambe's Concrete mod embrasures.
So, if one tile has a turret, the one next to it is an embrasure wall and the target is somewhere on the other side, the turret won't fire.
Does this only happen for CE-patched DMGTP turrets, or for all CE turrets in general?

NoImageAvailable mentioned on the CE Discord channel that he pushed out an update a couple of days ago, which included a LoS fix for embrasures. Could you also please confirm that you are running the latest version of CE?

zozilin

1. I have tried both Steam and GitHub CE latest releases in a new game. Only CE and DMGT active.
2. CE turrets behave just fine with CE embrasures. DMGT turrets don't fire if target is beyond an embrasure. Placement doesn't actually matter, it can be a few tiles away, but it "doesn't have line of sight" if target is beyond it. It's like they are considered walls.
3. In fact, they can't shoot over sandbags, but I didn't check this one without Concrete mod, which changes the recipe for them. So maybe vanilla sandbags are okay.

sumghai

Thank you for your detailed report!

I investigated things a bit further, and can confirm that both manned and sentry DMGT turrets can only fire over vanilla sandbags in Suppress aim mode (as you initially reported) - Snapshot and Aimed shot don't work.

On the other hand, the default CE turrets can fire just fine over sandbags in any aim mode, which suggests there may be something fundamentally wrong with the DMGT CE patches. I'll have a look through those in a moment.

sumghai

zozilin, I just had a word with CE author NoImageAvailable, and he informed me that all turrets should have a fillPercent value of 0.85 in order to function properly under CE.

I'm managed to implement a fix on my end, but just to confirm, could you please go into all the turret defs for DMGT and change the fillPercent value for all five mounted and all three sentry turrets to 0.85?

If this works, then I can push out an update by the end of the week.

Andross

Quote from: sumghai on March 05, 2019, 06:10:05 PM
zozilin, I just had a word with CE author NoImageAvailable, and he informed me that all turrets should have a fillPercent value of 0.85 in order to function properly under CE.

I'm managed to implement a fix on my end, but just to confirm, could you please go into all the turret defs for DMGT and change the fillPercent value for all five mounted and all three sentry turrets to 0.85?

If this works, then I can push out an update by the end of the week.

Just registered to confirm you that they work now after changing the fillPercent value to 0.85

Also how about an option to disable reloading if the ammo option is disabled in CE too?

sumghai

Quote from: Andross on March 05, 2019, 08:18:59 PMJust registered to confirm you that they work now after changing the fillPercent value to 0.85

Thanks for the heads-up! I'll mark this issue as resolved.

Quote from: Andross on March 05, 2019, 08:18:59 PMAlso how about an option to disable reloading if the ammo option is disabled in CE too?

Ooh, this is an interesting one.

I understand that CE does indeed have an option to disable ammunition use, but even after examining the standard CE turrets, I'm not sure how I could specifically modify the DMGT turrets to do so.

EDIT: AFAIK, disabling ammo in CE simply disables ammo types and crafting; all turrets and weapons, regardless of whether they're from vanilla CE or third-party mods, still need to be reloaded from an infinite pool of ammo. So my turrets already behave exactly as standard CE turrets would under the no-ammo game mode.

Andross

Yeah i forgot about that as soon as i saw that they had to be reloaded :P. Amazing mod btw love the manned turrets

sumghai

Defensive Machine Gun Turret Pack has been updated for RimWorld 1.0.2150 - see first post for download link.

Version 1.4.1 - 6 March 2019
---------------------
- Increase fillPercent of all turrets to 0.85
     - This allows turrets to properly fire through embrasures and over sandbags when running with the Combat Extended mod

Special thanks to NoImageAvailable, zozilin and Andross for the CE bugfix.

zozilin

krnja21

̶I̶ ̶s̶e̶e̶m̶ ̶t̶o̶ ̶h̶a̶v̶e̶ ̶a̶ ̶p̶r̶o̶b̶l̶e̶m̶ ̶h̶e̶r̶e̶,̶ ̶i̶ ̶c̶a̶n̶ ̶r̶e̶s̶e̶a̶r̶c̶h̶ ̶t̶h̶e̶ ̶t̶u̶r̶r̶e̶t̶s̶ ̶j̶u̶s̶t̶ ̶f̶i̶n̶e̶ ̶b̶u̶t̶ ̶t̶h̶e̶r̶e̶ ̶i̶s̶ ̶n̶o̶ ̶o̶p̶t̶i̶o̶n̶ ̶t̶o̶ ̶b̶u̶i̶l̶d̶ ̶t̶h̶e̶m̶.̶
̶I̶ ̶c̶h̶e̶c̶k̶e̶d̶ ̶u̶n̶d̶e̶r̶ ̶e̶v̶e̶r̶y̶ ̶m̶e̶n̶u̶ ̶p̶l̶u̶s̶ ̶t̶h̶e̶ ̶m̶a̶c̶h̶i̶n̶i̶n̶g̶ ̶t̶a̶b̶l̶e̶,̶ ̶a̶n̶d̶ ̶n̶o̶t̶h̶i̶n̶g̶ ̶ ̶:̶-̶\̶
̶
̶A̶n̶y̶ ̶i̶d̶e̶a̶s̶?̶

Nevermind, i didnt realize you need to do multiple research done to get them, all is good :D

Great mod btw!